Motorcycle accidents can result in significant pain and long-term financial and emotional stress. No matter what caused your bike crash, you should speak to an attorney to find out more about your legal options if you’ve been injured.
As one of the top motorcycle litigation firms in the United States, Hupy and Abraham have successfully represented well over 4,000 injured riders in Wisconsin and secured a number of settlements in excess of a million dollars.
Hupy and Abraham's Milwaukee motorcycle accident attorney doesn't just advocate for crash victims—they live and breathe the culture. Our lawyers are riders themselves, and they are heavily involved in changing laws, supporting riders’ rights and living the biker culture as part of their everyday lives.
After a motorcycle accident, injured riders need top-notch help from experienced attorneys to ensure they get fair treatment from law enforcement and insurance companies. Our Wisconsin offices in Milwaukee, Appleton, Green Bay, Madison, and Wausau offer free consultations to discuss your accident and are ready to take your call 24/7/365. Call us today at 1-800-800-5678.
You can learn more about how to protect yourself after a bike accident by reading our free book, The Ultimate Guide for Motorcycle Accident Victims, by browsing our extensive website and by reading the information provided below.
Common Types of Milwaukee Motorcycle Accidents
Common types of motorcycle crashes include:
- T-bone crashes. When a car or truck fails to stop at an intersection, then a side impact collision—also called a T-bone accident—can occur and result in physical injuries.
- Rear-end accidents. A car or truck that follows a rider too closely may hit the rider from behind and cause a serious injury.
- Head-on collisions. A head-on collision occurs when a car or truck is in the wrong lane or traveling the wrong way on a one-way road. The results for the rider who lack the protective metal of a car can be catastrophic.
- Left-turn accidents. Many motorcycle crashes occur when a car or truck attempts to make a left turn in front of a rider. The rider ends up colliding with the side of the vehicle and can be badly hurt or killed.
Our attorneys have successfully represented injured riders in these types of accidents.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Many of the types of accidents described above are caused by the following:
- Car and truck driver mistakes. Car and truck drivers are often at fault when there is a collision between a car or truck and a motorcycle. Drivers of four-wheeled vehicles may fail to yield to riders, may misjudge a rider’s distance, or may not look out for riders the way they do other vehicles and they may thereby cause catastrophic crashes.
- Distracted driving. A driver who is distracted by a cell phone, a GPS, another device, another person, or his own daydreams can cause a serious crash.
- Drunk driving. A driver who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs can cause a devastating accident.
- Drowsy driving. Tired drivers may be as dangerous as drunk or distracted drivers. Whether or not they fall asleep at the wheel, an accident caused by a drowsy driver can be dangerous for a rider.
- Poor road design or road conditions. Potholes, blind turns, poor lighting, and slippery roads can make things dangerous for riders.
- Speeding drivers. Speeding drivers may not have enough time to stop before hitting a rider, and the force with which a speeding driver hits a motorcyclist may contribute to serious injuries.
- Aggressive drivers. Aggressive car and truck drivers may weave in and out of traffic or follow riders too closely. This can make accidents—and injuries—more likely.
Regardless of the cause of the accident, serious injuries may result.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Our experienced Milwaukee motorcycle accident lawyer helps injured riders recover from…
- Brain and head injuries. Skull fractures, closed head injuries, and other traumatic brain injuries can cause long-term or permanent changes for a rider after a motorcycle accident.
- Spinal cord injuries. Complete spinal cord injuries, incomplete spinal cord injuries, and spinal stenosis can change a rider’s life after a crash.
- Broken bones. A broken arm, leg, pelvis, hip, collarbone, back, rib, or other bone can be painful and result in a long recovery period.
- Rider’s arm. rider’s arm, also known as rider’s arm, occurs when the nerves of the upper arm are injured in a fall. In severe cases, this nerve damage can lead to arm paralysis.
- Road rash. When a rider hits the pavement, significant scraping of the skin—known as road rash—can occur. Road rash is painful and it can result in a serious infection or scarring.
- Chest injuries. If you suffer a chest injury in a bike crash, than vital organs such as your lungs or heart can be compromised.
- Eye injuries. A wound to the eye or debris in the eye can cause significant and sometimes permanent vision changes and pain.
- Open wounds. Lacerations or significant cuts can become infected or result in scarring.
- Facial and dental injuries. Facial bones or teeth may be broken during a motorcycle accident, and these injuries may result in pain and extensive medical treatment.
- Amputations. An amputation may occur at the accident scene or because of an infection that results from a bike injury. Either way, it is a life-changing condition for an injured rider.
Any rider who has suffered one of these injuries because of someone else’s negligence should recover damages.
Additionally, we help the survivors of those who have lost loved ones in bike accidents to pursue wrongful death claims.
Tips for Protecting Your Fair Motorcycle Accident Recovery
Motorcycle accident recoveries are not automatic. Instead, there are specific things that you can do to protect yourself, such as:
- Purchasing adequate insurance. Wisconsin requires motorcyclists to purchase insurance. Find out what the law requires and what else you may need to protect yourself.
- Understanding Wisconsin motorcycle laws. Riders must follow all of the rules of the road. Some of these are the same as other drivers and some are unique to riders. It is important to know what they are so that you stay safe on the road.
- Knowing how to get police accident reports and why they are important. You will want a copy of the police report if you’re hurt in a crash, and you will want to know why it may or may not be useful to your recovery.
- Understanding how to deal with insurance adjusters. Insurance companies profit when their adjusters pay out as little as possible in accident claims. Accordingly, it is important to know what you should say—and what you shouldn’t say—when an adjuster contacts you.
- Knowing things that you shouldn’t do after a bike crash. Certain actions, or inactions, can make your recovery more difficult. Find out how to avoid common mistakes while pursuing a just recovery.
- Understanding how to prevent bias against riders from harming your case. Riders aren’t always treated fairly…and that is simply wrong. Don’t let preconceived ideas about riders interfere with your fair recovery.
Together, these things can make your accident case easier.
How a Motorcycle Accident Claim Works
Before you can recover damages, you must take action. When pursuing a motorcycle accident case in Wisconsin, it is important to know:
- How to collect evidence at the scene of the crash. The information that you get at the time of your accident can be important evidence in settlement negotiations or at trial.
- Whether you have the legal standing to file a lawsuit. Wisconsin law defines who has the authority to bring a lawsuit. If you don’t have standing to sue, then the defense will raise that issue and your case will be dismissed.
- How long you have to file a claim. The Wisconsin statute of limitations limits the amount of time that you have to file a lawsuit. If you fail to file your case within that time, then the defense will raise that issue and your case will be dismissed.
- What contributory negligence is—and how it may impact your case. You may be able to recover damages even if you were partly to blame for your motorcycle accident; however, the amount of damages that you can recover may be impacted.
- Whether you may need expert witnesses. Some cases benefit from expert witnesses who can provide important opinions about why your accident occurred or about your injuries.
- Whether you need an attorney. Injured riders who are represented by attorneys often recover more in damages than those who represent themselves. Thus, it is important to understand the benefits of working with an experienced Milwaukee motorcycle accident lawyer.
- How settlements work. The settlement process can be complicated, but you can be successful if you know how settlements work.
Damages You Can Recover After a Motorcycle Crash
It is also important to know what kind of damages you may recover after a bike accident. Such damages may include compensation for past, current, and future:
- Medical expenses. Medical expenses include all of your health care costs, including (but not limited to) hospital stays, surgeries, doctors’ visits, medications, and rehabilitation therapies.
- Lost income. Lost income may include all of your income if you are unable to work, or part of your income if you are unable to work the same hours or the same job due to your accident injuries. Both employees and self-employed workers are able to recover for lost income.
- Out-of-pocket costs. Out-of-pocket expenses may include things such as property damage, transportation costs, help around the house, and other costs incurred because of your accident injuries.
- Pain and suffering. Your physical pain and emotional suffering may be both your most significant damages and the hardest to value. Thus, it is important to know how to recover fairly for these damages.
These damages can have a profound impact on your physical, emotional, and financial recoveries.
Trust a Milwaukee Motorcycle Accident Lawyer That is Committed to the Rider Community
As part of our commitment to the motorcycle community, Hupy and Abraham is actively involved in helping Wisconsin riders with legislation issues, safety concerns, and rider's rights, by providing support to:
- Harley-Davidson HOG local chapters
- The Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF)
- Wisconsin ABATE
- Illinois A.B.A.T.E.
- Accident Scene Management Bystander Assistance Programs
Why You Should Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
While there are some accidents you can handle on your own (i.e. minor accidents with no injuries and fender benders), accidents involving bikers generally result in injuries or even worse, wrongful death in some situations. Not to mention, negligence isn't so cut and dry either.
A good Milwaukee motorcycle accident attorney will not only be able to prove fault, they'll be able talk to insurance agencies on your behalf, and defend your case in court if necessary.
How to Find the Best Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Milwaukee?
Choosing the right injury lawyer can make or break your lawsuit. That's why it's extremely important to do your due diligence before hiring any attorney. Below are a few things to consider when looking to hire the best motorcycle accident attorney in Milwaukee (and all of Wisconsin for that matter).
- Friends and Family. Why not start out by talking to the people you know and trust the most. If someone you care about has been in an accident, they likely have a referral they could give you. Or maybe even a referral you could avoid and not waste your time meeting with.
- Results Don't Lie. Not all attorneys are warm or super friendly, some just know how to get the job done better than others. That's why it's important to ask potential attorneys for results from previous cases they've worked on.
- Online Reputation. Chances are, any respected and experienced attorney worth a damn, will have online reviews and testimonials from past clients. Whether you read reviews on their website, their google profile or watch video testimonials online (like the one below), seeing how they interacted with past clients can go a long way towards making the right decision.
When Should You Hire a Milwaukee Bike Crash Attorney for Your Case?
Right after you've gotten the medical attention you need to help heal your injuries. While there is a specific statute of limitations for accidents that take place in Milwaukee, and across the state of Wisconsin, the sooner you contact an attorney, the better. The longer you wait, the harder it can be to preserve evidence and prove cause. If you're involved in a motorcycle accident and are injured due to the negligence of another driver, call our experienced law firm as soon as possible.
Contact Our Milwaukee Motorcycle Accident Attorney for a Free Consult
Not only do the attorneys of Hupy and Abraham provide support to local organizations, but our motorcycle lawyers also look out for the legal rights of individual riders and protect the right of riders to wear their colors in local establishments and at local events.
At Hupy and Abraham, we pride ourselves on being the most successful Milwuakee motorcycle injury lawyers in Wisconsin, having a proven record of collecting tens of millions of dollars for injured riders and working for riders' rights and safety awareness.
We are committed to educating the public to watch for motorcycles through free bumper stickers, billboards, newspaper announcements and televised public service announcements.