While there is no law saying you need to hire an attorney if you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle crash, it may be in your best interest to do so. Our Milwaukee motorcycle accident lawyer can not only represent you and negotiate your settlement, we can help you understand legal terms, your legal rights and make sure you are protected throughout your case, as well.
But, before we dive into the benefits of hiring an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, or how our team can help you get the financial compensation you deserve, it’s crucial that we provide preventative accident tips, as well as some important tips that everyone should keep in mind if they happen to be involved in a motorcycle crash.
Common Causes of Milwaukee Motorcycle Crashes
Many riders hop on their motorcycles to escape for a little while and to enjoy the open road. While riding, the last thing you want to worry about is getting into an accident, but sometimes the unthinkable happens. There are many hazards to look out for while riding your motorcycle and keeping those at top of mind will help you stay safe on the road.
Let’s look at some of the main causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Left-Turning Vehicles – A main cause of accidents is other cars making a left turn in front of a motorcyclist and colliding with them. Since a motorcycle is much smaller than other vehicles, drivers turning left may not see the bike approaching, may not be looking for them or simply may not be paying attention. An accident like this can be catastrophic and cause serious injuries and, in some cases, death. You’ll have to keep a look out for vehicles about to make a left turn. If you can do it safely, look at a car's tires to see if they are turned to the left, which might indicate that they are going to turn in front of you. Keep a good distance between yourself and any car in front of you, so that the vehicle in front doesn’t hide you or make you more difficult to see. You can also flash your headlight’s brights to a car that may be about to turn in front of you. Always being cautious while approaching an intersection is going to help keep you safe.
- Road Conditions and Hazards – There are many things you need to look out for on a motorcycle that may not be considered dangerous while driving another vehicle. Abnormalities on the road’s pavement, debris like leaves, grass clippings, gravel and sand, standing water, view obstructions, poorly marked roads and railroad tracks are just some of the road hazards you may encounter on your bike and all of them can cause a serious accident. Make sure you are completely comfortable on your motorcycle and that your bike is in top riding condition before going out on the road. This includes your tires, brakes, lights and wiring. Having your bike in top condition can sometimes help in dangerous situations where you need to maneuver suddenly or react quickly. Always be aware of your surroundings and look out for any hazards that may affect you.
- Distracted Drivers – You can be the best rider in the world and do everything right, but an accident can still be caused by another driver on the road. One of the main causes of motorcycle accidents today is distracted driving. Drivers of other vehicles may not be paying attention due to many reasons -- texting, talking on their phone, eating, changing the radio, etc. In the last 25 years, driver cell phone use has increased greatly and that has contributed to the high number of cars hitting motorcycles. To avoid an accident like this, you’ll have to continue riding at your best and try to anticipate what a distracted driver may do. Being extra cautious will help keep you and your bike safe. Keep enough space between you and any vehicles around you and have an escape route in mind in case you need to react rapidly. Making yourself highly visible while riding, through using lights and gear, will help drivers notice you. You can also make sure other drivers you know are aware of motorcycles and to always look out for them. Hupy and Abraham has been spreading the “Watch for Motorcycles” message for decades, trying to make drivers aware that motorcycles are everywhere. If you’d like to get a free “Watch for Motorcycles” sticker, click here.
How to Avoid a Potential Motorcycle Injury in Milwaukee
- Riding at night. While riding at night can be fun, it also increases the risk factor. Riding at night reduces your visibility on the road. Another factor to consider is the likelihood of drunk drivers. Weekend nights are usually when drunk driving happens most. You may not be drunk, but that doesn't mean the other driver may not be. Possibly running into these types of drivers makes it more dangerous for you.
- Maintenance. While motorcycle maintenance is pretty evident for most riders, it's important to keep in mind that maintenance is more than increasing your bike's longevity. It prevents potential accidents while you are out riding. Maintenance such as oil changes, battery replacements, chain repairs and wheel replacements all play roles in ensuring that you safely get from one destination to the next.
- Safety course. Safety courses are offered all around the United States. If you want to learn how to become a more defensive rider and reduce the possibility of motorcycle accidents in Milwaukee, improve your knowledge on how to safely operate your bike.
- Inclement weather. Even though riders have the ability to travel in less than desirable weather, such as rain or snow, it doesn't necessarily mean a rider should do so. Add to the fact that it's uncomfortable to ride in inclement weather, you now have to deal with additional hazards such as slippery roads and visibility. Riding on clear days with no additional hazards present will always be your best option.
- Visibility. When you assume at all times that no one can see you on the road, you'll become a safer rider in the long run. Motorcycles are the smallest vehicles on the road. This why other vehicles, such as semitrailers, have a hard time spotting motorists on the road. When you assume that no other vehicle can see you, you'll drive more defensively and avoid riding in any blind spots on the road.
- Reflective gear. Wearing reflective gear is a great way to get noticed on the road. While you may not need an entire reflective suit, having a vest or specific pieces of clothing that has reflective material will suffice as well.
- Emergency braking. It is not recommended to continually practice emergency braking, due to the wear on your brakes. However, it is a good idea to practice a few times in order to know what the procedure is, should you ever need to brake abruptly. You never know when a car in front of you will slam on its brakes while forcing you to do the same.
Tips to Follow if You've Been Involved in a Motorcycle Accident
At Hupy & Abraham, we understand that not all motorcycle accidents are preventable. If you unfortunately were involved in a crash, it's important that you know what to do first. The video below provides insight into what steps you should tackle to have the best possible outcome, both physically and financially.
The Benefits of Hiring an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Milwaukee WI
Accident victims often think that hiring an attorney is expensive and not in their budget, but many attorneys offer a free initial consultation—so you are not committed to anything before you speak to a motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee about your options. In addition, law firms such as Hupy and Abraham work on a contingency and do not get paid unless they win your case. There are no upfront, out-of-pocket fees until a settlement has been reached, and then a percentage of the damages you are awarded as your settlement will be paid to the attorney as their fee.
Since settlements are final once they are agreed to by both parties involved, they cannot be changed, and you will not be able to receive any other compensation for your injuries. For this reason, it is important to use an attorney to help with your case. There are many benefits of hiring a motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee WI, such as:
- Provide guidance. Knowing what to do after an accident can be overwhelming. A motorcycle crash attorney can guide you through the settlement process and answer any questions you may have.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. Insurance companies are not concerned about your best interest and are not on your side. Their goal is to settle your case as quickly as possible and for the least amount of money. An motorcycle accident attorney can negotiate with insurance companies and take the stress off of you while ensuring you get the full amount of compensation possible for your claim. Victims see higher payouts when using an attorney to negotiate their case rather than talking to insurance companies themselves.
- Determine the value of your case. An attorney can determine the fair value of your case. They can gather the necessary evidence, review medical records and bills, and calculate what your case is worth.
- Represent you at trial. If your case is not settled out of court, an bike crash lawyer can represent you at trial. Do not try to represent yourself. The other side will most likely have an experienced attorney who will try to dismiss your case or get it settled for as little as possible.
What Key Qualities Should You Look for in a Milwaukee Motorcycle Injury Lawyer
When considering a Milwaukee injury lawyer to help with your motorcycle accident case, you may want to consider an attorney who has the following traits:
- Provides a free, initial consultation to discuss your case
- Experience with motorcycle accident cases and a record of wins
- Skills to negotiate with insurance companies
- Is a motorcycle rider and understands the rights of riders
- Will fight for your case and is committed to getting you what you deserve
How to Find the Best Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Milwaukee for You
Keep in mind, when looking for the best motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee, you should follow the same steps you would use to find any kind of service, provider or attorney.
- Experience matters. You wouldn’t hire an electrician to work on your plumbing, the same way you wouldn’t hire a criminal defense lawyer to handle your personal injury case. Not only should you read up about the attorneys, but you should ask questions during your free consultation, as not all personal injury attorneys are created equal. One PI lawyer may have tons of experience with dog bites, while another has tons of experience in car accidents, or vice versa. At Hupy and Abraham, when it comes to motorcycle accidents, we are the best in the biz. We’ve secured tens of millions of dollars for more than 4,000 injured bike riders.
- Communication is key. While there are plenty of good motorcycle crash lawyers out there, feeling comfortable with the attorney representing you can go a long way. You want to choose a firm that you feel is truly invested in getting you the best result possible. If you feel that your attorney isn’t being upfront with you or is not communicating in a manner that you think is responsible, then you may have to go in a different direction and find someone who will.
- Read reviews and watch testimonials. Reviews on Google, Yelp, Avvo and other similar aggregate sites are a great way to find out what past clients thought of the service and representation they received. If a law firm has lots of positive reviews, that’s generally a good sign that people are pleased with the services they received. It also helps to watch testimonials from previous clients, like the one below:
Possible Damages Your Attorney Can Help You Recover After Being in a Motorcycle Crash
An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee WI will work hard to make sure you get compensated for all the damages that result from a bike crash. If another party is found negligent for the accident and your injuries, you may be entitled to receive compensation for past, present, and future damages such as the following:
- Medical bills and expenses
- Loss of income earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
Are You Ready to Move Forward? Our Motorcycle Crash Attorney Wants to Know Everything
Even if you think it’s going to hurt your case, our motorcycle crash attorney wants to hear it all. One of two things may be true if you think it will hurt your case. You may be worrying about nothing, or the defendants may already know about it and plan to use it as part of their defense. Either way, we can help you if we know about your concerns. Specifically, you should not hesitate to tell us things such as:
- I wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.
- I didn’t even know the car was there until it hit me.
- I don’t have a lot of experience driving motorcycles.
Once we know your concerns, our lawyers can help you understand their potential impact on your case.
Injured in a Bike Crash? Contact Our Milwaukee Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
Were you or a loved one recently injured in a bike crash due to another person’s negligence? If so, then it is time to contact our motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee for a free consultation. Our team has been practicing law in Wisconsin for over 50 years, and have seen every type of bike wreck there is.
To schedule a consult with our experienced Milwaukee motorcycle accident lawyer, click the button below or call 1 (800) 800-5678 today!