The Illinois Department of Transportation compiled and published comprehensive motor vehicle crash data for the City of Bloomington. While the latest information is from 2018, the statistics provide a critical snapshot of what happened on Bloomington roads that year.
What We Know About Bloomington Accidents
There were 1,485 reported motor vehicle crashes in the City of Bloomington, Illinois, during 2018.
We hope it never happens to you, but if you do find yourself in a vehicle accident, don't hesitate to get in touch with our experienced Car Accident Attorneys in Bloomington, Illinois asap!
Here’s what we know about these accidents:
Who Was Involved in the Crashes
Drivers of every age from 15 to 98 were involved in crashes. The five age groups with the highest number of crashes were not teenagers or senior citizens, but instead:
- 25 to 29-year-olds (305 accidents)
- 30 to 34-year-olds (256 accidents)
- 35 to 39-year-olds (231 accidents)
- 40 to 44-year-olds (214 accidents)
- 22 to 24-year-olds (196 accidents)
What Kinds of Accidents Happened
The five most common types of crashes included:
- Rear-end accidents (400 crashes)
- Turning accidents (348 crashes)
- Angle accidents (298 crashes)
- Sideswipe same direction accidents (124 crashes)
- Parked motor vehicle accidents (120 crashes)
Many different types of vehicles were involved in Bloomington crashes. The majority of vehicles were passenger cars, followed by SUVs, pickup trucks, and vans/mini-vans.
Where the Accidents Occurred
The crashes occurred on:
- Urban city streets (782 accidents)
- Unmarked highways – rural (431 accidents)
- State numbered urban trafficways (684 accidents)
- Controlled urban trafficways (8 accidents)
When the Accidents Happened
Crashes happened every day of the week, listed here in order of frequency:
- Monday (254 accidents)
- Friday (253 accidents)
- Tuesday (235 accidents)
- Wednesday (220 accidents)
- Thursday (212 accidents)
- Saturday (181 accidents)
- Sunday (130 accidents)
Accidents occurred during every hour of the day and night. The five hours with the highest number of wrecks included:
- 4 to 5 PM (132 crashes)
- 5 to 6 PM (120 crashes)
- Noon to 1 PM (118 crashes)
- 11 AM to Noon (112 crashes)
- 2 to 3 PM and 3 to 4 PM tied for fifth place (110 crashes each hour)
Why the Accidents Occurred
The following things were not significant causes of Bloomington crashes:
- Weather. 1,173 of the 1,485 reported crashes occurred during clear weather, and 1,106 crashes occurred on dry roads.
- Road defects. 1,456 of the reported crashes happened on roads with no defects.
- Vehicle defects. Almost all of the vehicles involved in the crashes had no identified defects.
- Driver condition. 2,553 of the 2,769 drivers involved in crashes were classified as having normal driving conditions.
While these things were not significant causes of Bloomington crashes, many accidents may have occurred because of distracted drivers or otherwise negligent drivers.
What to Do If You’re Hurt in a Bloomington Accident
If you’ve been injured in a Bloomington motor vehicle accident over the last two years, then we encourage you to contact our experienced Bloomington personal injury lawyers to learn how to protect your rights.
Our experienced Illinois accident lawyers will:
- Investigate what happened to you. We know what questions to ask and what documents to request so that we have the information to find out what happened to you and to prove liability and the value of your damages.
- Advise you of your legal options and our Win, or It’s Free Guarantee. We will explain what we think your case is worth, how your case will work, and how we are paid so that you can make an informed decision about whether you want to pursue legal action.
- Negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf. Insurers know that our Bloomington personal injury lawyers mean business. Accordingly, they are often willing to settle our clients’ claims fairly because they know that we will go to court, if necessary, to protect our clients’ rights.
- Take your case to court, if necessary. Our attorneys are not afraid to go to court to get you the fair recovery you deserve.
So far, we’ve helped more than 70,000 injured clients recover more than $1 billion in damages.
Please contact us today to learn more about how we might help you. We’d be happy to schedule a free consultation with you in our Bloomington personal injury law office, at your home or hospital room, or by phone or video conference.