If you have been involved in an auto accident in Rockford, IL, it can be a confusing and stressful time. While the immediate aftermath of an accident is often chaotic and overwhelming, hiring an experienced Rockford car accident lawyer can help you understand what steps to take next.
Keep your legal rights protected, and ensure that you receive any compensation that may be due to you by reading our definitive guide to hiring the right car accident attorney in Rockford.
Why Hire an Attorney for an Auto Accident
Being injured in a car crash can be a traumatic experience, and many people don’t know what to do next. While it’s possible to handle the process independently, hiring an attorney specializing in auto accidents can make the entire process much easier. There are many reasons why you should consider hiring an attorney after being injured in an auto accident in Rockford, such as:
- Insurance companies may not offer fair compensation. When someone is involved in an accident, they typically rely on their insurance company to compensate them for their injuries and damages. Unfortunately, insurance companies are businesses and generally do not offer fair compensation or any compensation at all, which is why you should not accept their offer without the help of an experience attorney. Our experienced Rockford car accident lawyer understands the tactics used by insurance companies and will fight for the maximum settlement you deserve.
- Navigating legal processes can be difficult. The legal processes surrounding a car accident can be confusing and overwhelming. Our car crash attorney understands how to navigate the complexities of this system so that you don't have to worry about dealing with complicated paperwork or trying to understand complex laws. We'll also ensure that all relevant evidence is gathered so that your case has the best chance of success.
- Receiving maximum compensation. Our experienced attorney knows how to maximize your settlement amount to get the full compensation you need for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other expenses associated with your auto accident. We'll also consider future medical costs or long-term disabilities so that you are fully covered now and into the future.
When Should I Get a Car Accident Attorney in Rockford?
Talking to an attorney as soon as possible after a crash is important because they can help preserve evidence and seek recovery sooner. Evidence can quickly disappear or become lost over time, so having someone investigating the accident immediately can be a huge advantage if you decide to pursue legal action. Additionally, seeking recovery sooner means that you are more likely to receive any potential compensation faster since your lawyer will have had more time to investigate the incident thoroughly.
It is also important to keep in mind the statute of limitations in Illinois for personal injury cases stemming from motor vehicle accidents, which is two years from the date of the accident. This means that if you do not file suit within two years of your auto accident, you cannot file one and will miss out on any potential financial compensation from the at-fault driver.
How is Fault Calculated After a Car Crash in Rockford?
We get asked this question a lot, "how is fault calculated in an accident case?" Below, proven car accident attorney Jason Abraham breaks down what goes into determining an accident claim's value.
How Does an Attorney Settle a Car Accident Lawsuit?
A car accident settlement is an agreement between the car accident victim (the plaintiff) and the person or people responsible for the crash (the defendant). The plaintiff agrees not to take any further legal action against the defendant in exchange for a monetary payment. This payment covers damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
The amount of money varies based on the extent of the injuries sustained by the plaintiff and other factors such as fault. In most cases, it is much more cost-effective for both parties involved to settle out of court rather than going through a lengthy trial process.
The settlement process typically begins when one party (usually the plaintiff) files a lawsuit against another party (usually the defendant). From there, attorneys from both sides will negotiate until they arrive at an acceptable settlement amount. Often, this negotiation period will involve back-and-forth offers until both parties reach an agreement that is fair for everyone involved. Once both parties have agreed upon a settlement amount, they will sign off on it in writing, and then it must be approved by a judge before becoming legally binding.
It's important to note that once you have agreed to a settlement amount, you cannot go back and ask for more money later on down the line if your expenses exceed what was initially allocated in your settlement agreement. Therefore, it is critical that you consult with an experienced Rockford car accident attorney before signing off on any settlement agreement so that you know exactly what you agree to and whether or not it is enough to cover all of your current and future expenses related to the accident.
How to Find the Best Car Accident Lawyer in Rockford
If you have been in an auto accident and are looking for an experienced lawyer to help you fight your case, you may feel overwhelmed. You want to ensure that the lawyer you choose is experienced, knowledgeable, and capable of getting the best possible outcome for your case.
To find the best car accident lawyer in Rockford, IL, there are a few things to consider:
- Experience. It’s essential to find an attorney with experience handling car accident cases in Rockford. Ask friends or family members if they can recommend any lawyers they have used in the past. You can also check online reviews from other clients or visit a local bar association website for detailed information about attorneys in your area. Most importantly, make sure that any lawyer you choose has years of experience in this specific field so that they can provide sound legal advice and guidance throughout your case.
- Case results. When choosing an attorney, it’s important to look at their track record of successful outcomes. A good way to do this is to look online at their case results. An experienced attorney should be able to provide details on cases they have worked on and what kind of settlements or outcomes those cases received. This will give you a better understanding of how successful they could potentially be with your own case.
- Testimonials. While researching lawyers, take the time to read through testimonials from previous clients. This can demonstrate how satisfied people were with their services and whether or not their expectations were met after working with them. Testimonials should always include details about how quickly the attorney responded to their inquiries, how easy it was to communicate with them throughout the process and whether or not they felt like they were being taken care of every step of the way during their case.
In addition to doing research online, you will want to meet personally with potential attorneys to get an idea of who they are as professionals and people before committing. During these meetings, it’s important to ask plenty of questions to know exactly what kind of service you can expect while working together on your case. By considering all these factors when searching for an attorney, you will be able to find one who best meets your needs and provides quality legal representation throughout your case.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
The determining factors of how much a car accident attorney costs is dependant on how the case turns out. At Hupy & Abraham, we work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we do not get paid unless you win your case. If and when you recieve a settlement, a predetermined percentage will be taken to pay for lawyer costs. This will be discussed with you before any paperwork to retain our service is signed.
If we do not win or settle your case, you don't owe us anything.
Contact Our Rockford Car Crash Lawyer
If you were injured in a car crash in Rockford, IL, contact our experienced lawyers at Hupy and Abraham for a free consultation. Our Rockford car accident lawyer will go above and beyond to win your case and have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee. To set up a confidential appointment, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.