Homeowner’s insurance is one way to recover for your losses after a trip, slip, or fallYou are suffering from injuries caused by a slip or fall on someone else’s property. You need help recovering damages, but you are concerned that the property owner won’t be able to pay for your medical costs, lost income, pain, suffering, and other damages.

There May Be Another Way

Property owners and renters may have insurance policies that can help you recover. Specifically, you should consider whether there could be:

  • Homeowner’s insurance. Wisconsin law does not require homeowners to carry homeowner’s insurance on their properties. However, most homeowners do invest in  homeowner’s insurance because it is typically required by the lender if the property owner has a mortgage and because those without mortgages can usually afford insurance coverage. Homeowner’s insurance will cover the costs of your injury if the homeowner’s negligence caused your fall. If the homeowner was not negligent and you fell, then you may still be able to recover for your necessary and reasonable medical expenses, but you will not be able to recover for lost income, pain, or suffering.
  • Residential renter’s insurance. Wisconsin renters are not required to have insurance. However, some residential renters do have insurance, and if that insurance includes liability insurance—and not just insurance for the dwelling’s contents—then you may be able to recover damages from the insurance company for your injuries.
  • Commercial property insurance. Wisconsin law does not require tenants with commercial leases—such as those who rent for retail space—to have property insurance. However, many commercial property owners require it as part of the terms of the commercial lease. Depending on the circumstances of your fall, you could have a claim against the owner of the commercial property or against the renter and you may be able to recover damages for your injuries from the relevant insurance company.

Since you could be entitled to a recovery from an insurance company, it is important to identify any insurance policies that could apply to your recovery.

Insurance Doesn’t Guarantee a Fair Recovery

While you may have a legal right to make a fair recovery, you should expect that the insurance adjuster is going to try to get you to accept as low a settlement as possible. Insurance companies maximize their profits by paying out as little as possible in claims. Thus, you will have to present evidence and advocate for your full and fair recovery.

You don’t have to do this alone, however. Instead, you have the right to work with an experienced slip and fall lawyer who will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and who will fight for your just recovery. To learn tips about protecting your recovery, please start a live chat with us today or call us anytime at 1-800-800-5678 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.