A slip and fall accident in Green Bay can change your life in an instant. You can go from being able to juggle a jam-packed schedule with ease to struggling with chronic pain that makes everyday tasks seem difficult and wondering how you're going to pay your rapidly increasing medical bills.
If another party's negligence caused your slip and fall accident, you might be entitled to compensation. An experienced Green Bay slip and fall lawyer can help you navigate the Wisconsin personal injury claim process so you can recover damages for your injury.
Should I Hire a Lawyer for My Slip and Fall Case?
If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident at a store, restaurant, gym, or private home, you may wonder whether you need to hire a lawyer. The short answer is that it depends on the individual case. However, there are certain situations where hiring a slip and fall lawyer in Green Bay is almost always a good idea. For example:
- You suffered serious injuries in your accident. If you've suffered serious injuries in your slip and fall accident, it's important to have representation from an experienced law firm. Serious injuries can result in high medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. An experienced Green Bay slip and fall lawyer will fight to get you the maximum compensation possible for your injuries.
- The homeowner or business owner denies responsibility for your accident. In some cases, the homeowner or business owner will deny responsibility for your accident, even if it's clear that they are at fault. In these cases, an experienced lawyer can investigate the accident and collect evidence to prove that the homeowner or business owner is liable for your injuries.
- The insurance company is offering you an unfair settlement. Insurance companies are notoriously stingy when it comes to settlements. They often offer victims much less than they deserve. If you're being offered a settlement by an insurance company that you feel is unfair, an experienced lawyer will fight for a better offer.
How a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Green Bay Can Prove Premises Liability
In order to win your case, your lawyer will need to prove that the property owner was negligent in maintaining the property and that this negligence led to your accident and injuries. Here are some of the ways your Green Bay slip and fall lawyer can do this:
- Investigating the scene of the accident. One of the first things your lawyer will do is investigate the scene of the accident. This may involve taking photos or videos of the scene, interviewing witnesses, and speaking to the property owner. Your lawyer will use this information to identify any hazards that may have caused your accident. For example, if a ripped carpet or broken lighting contributed to your fall, this poor property maintenance could be considered negligence on the part of the property owner.
- Gathering your medical records. Your medical records will be an important piece of evidence in your case. They will help to establish the extent of your injuries and how they have impacted your life. Your lawyer will request these records from your treating physician or hospital.
- Reconstructing the accident. In some cases, it may be necessary to hire an expert to reconstruct the accident. This is often done when there are no witnesses to the accident or when there is a dispute about what happened. The expert will analyze the evidence and provide their opinion about how the accident occurred.
How Does a Lawyer Determine Future Medical Bills and Lost Wages in a Slip and Fall Case?
Once you settle your case or there is a court decision, you are stuck with that number—you cannot go back and ask for more money. This is why it is critically important that your lawyer accurately determine the value of your future medical bills and lost wages at the outset of your case.
To accurately predict future medical costs and lost wages, your slip and fall lawyer will likely need to consult with one or more expert witnesses. These experts might include:
- An orthopedic surgeon who can testify about the nature of your injuries and the projected cost of treatment
- A life care planner who can estimate the cost of long-term care you'll need as a result of your injuries
- A vocational rehabilitation counselor who can testify about any income you lost as a result of being unable to work
- An economist who can estimate the present value of future income you would have earned if you had not been injured
Your lawyer will also gather evidence about your past medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. This information will be used to negotiate with the insurance company or, if necessary, present your case to a jury.
When to Call a Green Bay Slip & Fall Attorney
The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit after an accident has occurred. In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations for slip and fall cases is three years from the date of the accident. This means that if you don't file a lawsuit within three years of your accident, you will likely be barred from doing so.
Of course, this doesn't mean that you should wait until the statute of limitations is almost up to call a lawyer. There are many benefits to calling a Green Bay slip and fall lawyer soon after your accident. For example:
- The sooner you call a lawyer, the better your chances of success will be. It can be difficult to investigate a case and gather evidence if too much time has passed since the accident occurred.
- A lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected.
- While you focus on recovering from your injuries, a lawyer can handle all of the paperwork and other legal hurdles associated with filing a lawsuit.
How to Find the Best Slip and Fall Lawyer in Green Bay
If you've been involved in a Green Bay slip and fall accident, you may be wondering how to find the best lawyer to help you with your case. Here are a few tips to help you find the right lawyer for your needs:
- Do some research. Ask friends or family members if they know anyone who has experience with slip and fall cases. Once you have a few names, you can start doing some online research. Read reviews from other clients and see what kind of results the lawyer has been able to achieve in similar cases. At Hupy and Abraham, we provide our case results, testimonials, and awards and accolades online to help prospective clients make an informed decision about their legal representation.
- Schedule a consultation. Once you've narrowed down your list of potential lawyers, it's time to schedule a consultation. This is your opportunity to meet with the lawyer, ask questions, and get a feel for their personality and how they might handle your case. Be sure to bring along any relevant paperwork, such as police reports or medical records. At Hupy and Abraham, your initial consultation is provided free of charge.
- Trust your gut. After meeting with a few different Green Bay slip and fall lawyers, you should have a good idea of which one is the best fit for you. Trust your instincts and choose the lawyer that you feel most comfortable with. You should also make sure that you are comfortable with the fee arrangement before making any final decisions.
Do You Need to Speak to Our Green Bay Slip, Trip and Fall Lawyer?
If you or a loved one have been recently injured in a Green Bay slip and fall accident, Hupy and Abraham can help. We will go above and beyond to win your personal injury case and have a Win or It's Free Guarantee. To set up a confidential free consultation, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678. Our Green Bay, Wisconsin, personal injury law firm is conveniently located in Ashwaubenon and can be reached via US-41 or US-43.