A slip and fall accident can cause serious injuries that prevent you from going to work or school. If you were injured from a slip, trip or fall in Central Wisconsin, you should contact an experienced Wausau slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your case.
Our attorneys at Hupy and Abraham will fight to get you a fair and full settlement you are entitled to receive. Keep reading to find out how we can ensure that you the best outcome for your slip and fall injury case.
What is Considered a Slip and Fall Accident?
In Wausau, a lawsuit can be filed against any property owner that is found negligent for an injury that occurred on their premises. If you fall in a public place and are at fault, this is not grounds for a case. Slip and fall accidents can happen at various locations, such as restaurants, hotel lobbies, sidewalks, or apartment buildings. Injuries sustained in a slip and fall can range in severity, and some can even result in death.
A slip and fall accident falls under premises liability. This means that a property owner has a responsibility to keep their premises safe for those staying or visiting. If the owner of the property fails to maintain a safe environment and does not exercise a reasonable amount of care, they can be held liable for injuries that occur on their premises.
To have a case against a property owner, you must prove that the slip and fall accident was caused by the negligent actions of a property owner. Since a property owner is expected to maintain a duty of care and keep the property safe and cared for reasonably to prevent possible injuries from occurring on the premises, you have a right to take legal action when this is not done. This only applies if you have a legal right to be at the premises.
According to our slip and fall injury lawyer in Wausau, to have a valid claim, you must be able to prove that the cause of the accident could have been prevented and that the hazard contributing to the fall was known to the property owner, but they failed to make a repair or correct the problem. There are several causes of slip and fall accidents, such as:
- Slippery surfaces
- Accumulation of snow or ice
- Broken or missing handrails
- Uneven surfaces
- Design defect
Do I Have a Valid Slip & Fall Case?
Should I Hire an Attorney for My Claim?
If you have a potential case for a slip and fall accident claim, you will want to hire a lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced Wausau slip & fall attorney can explain your rights, keep them protected throughout the claim, and guide you through the complex legal process of a slip and fall lawsuit. Most importantly, an experienced slip & fall attorney will remove the stress of a lawsuit and handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on recovering from your injuries instead of on your claim.
Insurance adjusters may pressure you to give a recorded statement or sign a medical release after the accident. This is not in your best interest since you are not required to do either, and what you say or do could be held against your claim. Right after a slip and fall accident, you may not realize the full extent of your injuries or damage and may need time to settle a claim. An attorney can determine what damages you may recover and help calculate your case’s full and fair value.
When you hire a slip and fall lawyer in Wausau, WI, they will do the following:
- Advocate for your rights so you are not taken advantage of
- Negotiate with insurance companies who may have denied an initial claim or offered a settlement much less than your claim is worth
- Represent you at trial if the insurance company does not settle your claim, and you need to go to court
5 Signs You Should Hire a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Wausau
After a slip, trip and fall accident that results in injury, you may be debating whether or not to hire a lawyer to handle your case. There are many benefits to having a lawyer on your side. At Hupy and Abraham, we understand it can be a difficult decision to hire an attorney, and we can provide information to help you make that choice. The following are five signs that indicate that you should hire our Wausau slip & fall attorney for your accident case:
- You are seriously injured. If you suffered a severe injury due to a slip and fall accident, the injury might make it challenging to work, which can mean reduced or lost income. You may have a financial strain due to medical bills piling up as well as other expenses.
- You are unsure about how to handle the insurance company. You may feel pressure from insurers who are quickly trying to settle your claim for the least amount of money possible. They may be asking questions and wanting answers.
- You are facing long-term or permanent disability. If your injuries require long-term care or treatment, you may need to determine a value for future damages. You may be unsure of what amount of compensation you are entitled to receive to cover future expenses.
- It is difficult to prove liability. It may be unclear who will be held liable for the accident and your injuries. You must prove that the slip and fall accident was due to negligence and not your fault. This can be done by collecting evidence to support your claim, which can often be difficult to obtain on your own.
- The proposed settlement is less than what your case is worth. You may be offered a settlement that does not cover all the damages you have suffered. This can leave you questioning whether or not to take it or if you have other options.
How to Prove Your Slip, Trip and Fall Case
There are many actions to take after a slip and fall accident that can be useful in proving your case, such as:
- Reporting your accident. You should report the accident as soon as it happens to the person in charge of the premises. This could be a manager, supervisor, or property owner. Use care when reporting the accident since anything you say could be used to admit fault.
- Seeking medical attention. No matter how minor your injuries may seem, seeking medical attention immediately after the accident is essential. Not only do you want your injuries cared for, but the medical report can be used to support your claim.
- Gathering and preserving evidence. If you can stay at the scene of the accident, gather and preserve as much evidence as possible. This can include contact information for any witnesses who saw the accident, photos of the situation that caused the accident and of your injuries, video recordings, etc.
- Contacting a slip and fall lawyer in Wausau. Contacting a lawyer after the accident can keep your rights and possible compensation protected. When you use an attorney, your case is taken seriously and will be handled properly. You will want to ensure that theWausau slip and fall lawyer you use is qualified and has specific experience with these kind of injury cases.
How Long Do I Have to File a Slip & Fall Claim in Wisconsin? (Statute of Limitations)
Each state has a specific statute of limitations which is a deadline for filing a lawsuit such as a slip and fall claim. In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations for filing a slip and fall lawsuit is three years of the date of the accident that caused the injury.
If you suffered property damage in a Wausau slip and fall accident, such as breaking a watch or other piece of jewelry, you have six years to file a claim to recover the cost of replacing or repairing the property. There are exceptions to Wisconsin’s statute of limitations, such as if the fall occurred on government property or if you were a minor at the time of the accident.
It is important to contact a slip and fall attorney as soon as possible since you are under a deadline for filing a claim. An experienced lawyer can ensure that you meet all required deadlines for your case and will keep your legal rights protected throughout the duration of the claim. Failing to file your claim within the statute of limitations will result in your claim being dismissed by the court. If your claim is dismissed, you will not be able to recover damages.
How to Find the Best Slip and Fall Attorney in Wausau
If you were injured in a Wausau slip and fall accident, finding the right lawyer to use for your case can be a challenge. What lawyer you choose can affect the overall outcome of your case. When looking for a slip and fall injury attorney, you will want someone with experience handling similar cases. To begin your search, you may want to ask friends and family for referrals. In addition, you can look online and read reviews and testimonials written by past clients to find out how satisfied others have been with the lawyers or a firm.
Many law firms have sites with information that can provide insight about a specific lawyer. Reading case results can provide examples of what types of slip and fall settlements have been awarded to other clients for their cases. You will want to pick a slip & fall injury lawyer with a proven track record of wins and enough experience to handle a case like yours.
You can discover how the community regards a lawyer by checking out what type of awards and accolades they have been given. Hupy and Abraham have been voted best and rated best by their clients and community.
Once you have narrowed down your list, call each for a consultation. Most attorneys provide a free initial consultation to discuss your case. At the consultation, be sure to ask plenty of questions since the answers can help you make a decision. Going with your gut feeling about a lawyer and what value they can provide for your case can be essential in making your final choice.
Contact Our Wausau Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you were injured in a slip, trip or fall in Central Wisconsin due to a property owner’s negligence, contact our Wausau slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible. Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham will fight to get you the settlement you deserve. For a free consultation, fill out our online contact form or call our office at 800-800-5678.