You should promptly file an accident report after being injured on someone else’s propertyYes. If you have been hurt on someone else’s property. then it is important to make the property owner or manager aware of the accident and of your resulting injury.

Whom to Report To

The right person needs to receive your report. If you were hurt…

  • At a private residence, then that person would be the homeowner, renter, or landlord.
  • At a commercial property, then that person would be the store manager, facility manager, or owner.
  • On government property, then that person might be the on-site manager or an administrator for that government agency.

You should make your report as soon as possible after your accident.

What to Report

In some cases—particularly if you fall in a retail location, healthcare facility, or on government property—you may be provided with an accident report form to complete. In other cases—such as when you fall at someone’s home—you may need to write your own report.

In either case, it is important to notify the responsible parties that you have been hurt in a slip and fall accident. You should not guess about the cause of the accident. Instead, you should include the following types of information:

  • State there was an accident. It is important that parties responsible are made aware that there was an accident and that you were the victim.
  • Let them know you have been injured. You need to inform all the parties that you have been injured in the accident. Explain in general terms the type of accident you suffered, but do not go into details about the extent of your injuries.
  • Do not state fault. In this initial letter it is not necessary to state that you believe they are at fault. The details of the fault or responsibility will come later.
  • Request a response. Include in the letter that you would like a written acknowledgement to your letter. This is important to insure that they have received your letter and are aware of the circumstances.

If you have any question about how to make the report or if you want more tips for protecting your slip and fall case, then please do not hesitate to contact an experienced slip and fall lawyer for help. You can reach us today at 1-800-800-5678.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.