Each year, some Illinois motorcyclists are involved in serious and fatal crashes. Often, other drivers cause these tragic accidents.
As a rider or someone who loves a rider, you may wonder how often Illinois motorcycle accidents happen. Below, we use 2018 data as a snapshot of information about local motorcycle accident statistics. The information provides valuable insight into the dangers motorcyclists face, but statistics don’t tell the whole story.
Illinois Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Fewer than 1% of Illinois crashes involved motorcycles in 2018. However, motorcycles were part of 12.1% of fatal crashes and 3.1% of injury crashes. Overall,
- 2,266 motorcyclists were hurt
- 119 motorcyclists were killed
- Two people who were not on motorcycles were killed
- In urban areas, the majority of injuries and fatalities occurred on city streets and roads, but fatalities and injuries also occurred on state routes and interstates
- In rural areas, the majority of injuries and fatalities occurred on unmarked state routes, but injuries and fatalities also occurred on county and local roads, state routes, and interstate type roads
- People aged 45 and older had the most motorcycle accident injuries, followed by people 25-34, 35-44, 20-24, 15-19, and people of unknown age. One person age nine or younger was hurt, and no injuries were reported among 10 to 14-year-olds.
- People age 45 and older also had the most motorcycle accident fatalities, followed by people 25-34, 35-44, 20-24, and 15-19. No fatalities were reported among people age 14 or younger.
Below, we will take a closer look at motorcycle accidents in three Illinois counties.
Lake County Motorcycle Accidents
There were 102 vehicles involved in Lake County motorcycle crashes during 2018. These crashes occurred in Gurnee and the other cities and towns of Lake County, and they included:
- 4 deaths
- 79 injuries
- 24 instances of property damage
McLean County Motorcycle Accidents
There were fewer motorcycle crashes in McLean County than in Lake County during 2018. Bloomington and other McLean County cities and towns reported:
- No deaths
- 34 injuries
- 12 instances of property damage
Overall, 44 vehicles were involved in McLean County motorcycle wrecks.
Winnebago County Motorcycle Accidents
In 2018, 69 vehicles were involved in reported Winnebago County motorcycle accidents. The crashes that occurred in Rockford and throughout the county resulted in:
- 3 fatalities
- 41 injuries
- 27 cases of property damage
What Do All These Motorcycle Accident Statistics Mean? Here’s the Rest of the Story
2018 may seem like a long time ago, but the year and the specific numbers are not as important as the individual lives affected by each motorcycle crash.
Each fatality left a family grieving the unexpected death of a parent, child, spouse, sibling, or another loved one. As they mourn, they may be figuring out how to live without the companionship, love, emotional support, household help, and financial income their loved one brought to the family.
Each injury caused physical pain and emotional stress for the person who was hurt. In some cases, the injury may have also resulted in significant financial loss from medical expenses, lost income, and property damage.
Our experienced Illinois motorcycle accident lawyers want to help those hurt by another driver’s negligence. Our lawyers are also riders. We know that sometimes motorcyclists are mistreated by insurers who have a bias against riders, but we won’t stop fighting for your fair recovery until you have the compensation you deserve.
After a serious or fatal motorcycle crash, you may recover damages for past and future:
- Medical costs
- Lost income
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
So far, the motorcycle lawyers of Hupy and Abraham have represented more than 4,000 riders, and we’ve secured tens of millions of dollars on their behalf.
We invite you to contact us today for a free and confidential consultation in our Bloomington, Gurnee, or Rockford office, in your home or hospital room, or by phone or video conference. Let’s talk about your rights, potential recovery, and our Win or It’s Free Guarantee!