A bike crash can happen in the blink of an eye. One minute you're enjoying the wind in your face and the sun on your skin—and the next, you're dealing with severe injuries, mounting medical bills, and insurance companies that seem more interested in protecting their bottom line than they are in helping you. If this sounds like what you're currently dealing with, our experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Bloomington, IL, can help you take some important steps to protect your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
From what to do after a bike crash to tracking down the best Bloomington motorcycle accident attorney, the guide below should help you determine what your next steps are and how we can help you obtain a fair settlement for your injuries.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Bloomington
After a motorcycle accident, there are several things to do that can ensure your legal rights and possible compensation stay protected, such as:
- Call the police. The first thing you should do after any kind of motor vehicle accident is to call the police. The responding officers will create an official report of the accident, which can be vital evidence if you end up filing a personal injury claim. Be sure to get the names and badge numbers of all of the officers on the scene so that your lawyer can obtain a copy of the report later on.
- Get medical care—even if you don't think you're injured. It's essential to get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible after an accident, even if you don't think you're injured. Sometimes injuries, such as internal bleeding or traumatic brain injuries, don't present themselves immediately. A doctor can properly assess your condition and give you an idea of what kind of treatment you may need going forward. Additionally, if you wait too long to seek medical care, it may be more difficult to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident.
- Preserve evidence from the scene of the accident. If at all possible, try to take pictures or videos of the scene of the accident before anything is moved. This can be helpful evidence later on. If there are any skid marks on the road, take pictures of those as well. It's also a good idea to exchange information with any witnesses who may have seen what happened. Get their names and contact information so your lawyer can speak with them later if necessary.
- Call a lawyer—don't try to negotiate with insurance companies on your own. After an accident, insurance companies will often try to take advantage of victims who are inexperienced in dealing with them. They may offer a lowball settlement that doesn't come close to covering your damages or try to get you to say something that could damage your case. That's why it's so important to have an experienced Bloomington motorcycle accident lawyer on your side who knows how to deal with insurance companies and fight for the compensation you deserve.
You only have a certain amount of time in Illinois to file a claim to recover compensation for your injuries. You will not want to wait to hire a lawyer since they can ensure you file your claim within the necessary timeframe. In Bloomington, IL, the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit is two years from the date of the accident. If you miss this deadline, your claim will be dismissed, and you will not be able to recover any damages or be able to seek future damages.
What Does a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Do?
Our Bloomington motorcycle accident attorney will help you recover damages and protect your legal rights. They will:
- Explain your rights and legal options to you. You may not be aware of all the different types of compensation you may be entitled to, such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. Our bike crash lawyer will explain your legal rights and help you understand what kind of compensation you may be able to recover.
- Gather evidence. Your lawyer will collect evidence from the scene of the accident, including photos, videos, witness statements, and the police report. Our bike accident attorney will also obtain your medical records to document your injuries and treatment.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. Dealing with insurance companies can be complicated and stressful—especially if you're already dealing with injuries and other damages. A lawyer will handle all communications with the insurance companies on your behalf so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries.
- Fight for you in court. If the insurance companies refuse to offer you a settlement that fully compensates you for your injuries, your bike wreck lawyer will be prepared to take your case to court and fight for the compensation you deserve.
What Traits Should I Look for in a Bloomington Bike Accident Attorney?
Not all attorneys are created equal, and you want to make sure you find a bike accident attorney with the experience, knowledge, and commitment to get you the best possible outcome for your case. Here are some traits to look for when choosing a motorcycle accident attorney in Bloomington:
- Experience. When it comes to something as important as your legal representation, you want to find someone with experience. Not all attorneys have experience handling motorcycle accident cases, so it’s essential to ask about this upfront. At Hupy and Abraham, we have over 50 years of experience handling personal injury cases, including motorcycle accidents. We know what it takes to get our clients the compensation they deserve.
- Someone who isn’t afraid to go to court. If an insurance company isn’t offering a fair settlement, sometimes the only way to get justice is by taking them to court. You want to find an attorney who is prepared to do this if necessary. The attorneys at Hupy and Abraham have tried many cases in front of a jury—so we’re not afraid to go to court if that’s what it takes to get our clients the compensation they deserve.
- A bike accident lawyer who is also a rider. It can be helpful to find an attorney who is also a rider because they understand the unique challenges riders face on the road. At Hupy and Abraham, several of our lawyers are riders themselves (like Jason Abraham in the video below), so they know the risks involved and how devastating an accident can be. This gives them a unique perspective on handling these types of cases.
Why Should I Hire a Motorcycle Injury Lawyer?
Here are three reasons why you should consider hiring a motorcycle injury lawyer in Bloomington, IL, after a crash:
- To protect your compensation. After a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to several types of compensation, including medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering. An experienced Bloomington motorcycle accident lawyer will know how to value your claim and ensure you receive full and fair compensation for all your losses.
- To reduce stress. Dealing with an insurance company after a motorcycle accident can be stressful and time-consuming. If you are trying to handle everything on your own, you may make mistakes or miss important deadlines that could jeopardize your case. Hiring a lawyer will allow you to focus on your recovery while we handle all the paperwork and negotiations with the insurance company.
- To get the best possible outcome. Insurance companies are in the business of making money—not paying out claims. After a bike crash, the insurance company may try to lowball you or deny your claim altogether. An experienced motorcycle injury lawyer will know how to deal with these tactics and fight for the best possible outcome in your case.
How to Find the Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Bloomington
If you are a motorcycle rider who has been in an accident, you know how important it is to find the best motorcycle accident lawyer. With so many lawyers out there, it can be difficult to know where to start. Here are a few things to look for when choosing a Bloomington motorcycle accident lawyer:
- Client testimonials. One of the most important things to look for in a motorcycle crash lawyer is testimonials from other clients. Client testimonials will give you an idea of what it is like to work with the lawyer and whether or not they were able to get results. You can find them on the attorneys website, or on their Google My Business profile.
- Case results. Another great way to learn about a motorcycle accident lawyer is to look at their case results. This will give you an idea of the kinds of cases they have handled and their success rate.
- Awards and accolades. Checking out what awards and accolades can provide information on how the community rates a certain lawyer or a law firm and show what types of recognition they have received. Hupy and Abraham have been voted and rated best by their clients and community.
Another important thing to look for in a motorcycle injury lawyer is whether or not they offer a free consultation. A free consultation is important because it allows you to meet with the lawyer and ask any questions you may have. It also lets you get a feel for the lawyer and see if you are comfortable working with them. At Hupy and Abraham, we offer a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
Contact Our Bloomington Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a bike crash in Illinois, find out more about your legal rights and what compensation you can recover by contacting our Bloomington motorcycle accident lawyer at Hupy and Abraham for a free, no-obligation consultation. To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.