Fractured pelvis: x-ray viewAnother driver crashed into your teen as he rode his motorcycle to school, to a friend’s house, or to his part-time job. It was another driver who put your teen in the hospital with a serious and potentially life-ending injury. It was another driver whose negligence hurt your child.

Yet the hospital and your child are looking to you for answers. The hospital wants to know who is going to pay the bill, and your child wants to know what his future will be like. You want the hospital to be reimbursed for the care it is providing your child, and you would do anything to provide your child with the future he deserves…but you have only so much money.

You Don’t Have to Be the One to Pay

While you would do anything to help your child, the most helpful thing that you can do right now may not be writing a check. Instead, it may be to hold the driver who caused the accident accountable for the harm that he has caused. It may be to make sure that a personal injury lawsuit is filed and the other driver and his insurer is held responsible for paying for your child’s past, current, and future:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost income
  • Out-of-pocket costs
  • Pain and suffering
  • Other damages

If your child has not yet reached his 18th birthday, then you may need to file the lawsuit on his behalf. If, however, your child is 18 or older, then it may be up to him to take action. Your job may then be to help educate your child about his rights and support him as he seeks justice through the legal system. Either way, your job as the parent of a child who was injured on a motorcycle is important and you can make a significant difference in your child’s future—even if you don’t pay the bills directly.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.