Riding a motorcycle is a great opportunity to save on fuel cost and vehicle expenses while also enjoying the fresh air. Unfortunately, enjoying a pleasant motorcycle ride means that the rider must share the road with passenger vehicles. Drivers of these vehicles are often negligent, rude, and disrespectful to motorcycle riders. This attitude causes many motorcycle accidents in Illinois.
Being involved in a motorcycle accident in Gurnee can be a traumatic experience. It can be a very dangerous event as well. Because a motorcycle offers little protection against a car, injuries can be very serious. It is not uncommon for a motorcycle rider to suffer from lifelong complications.
Because an accident is so traumatic, a rider may want to leave the scene of the accident as soon as possible. Before a rider leaves it is important that he take care of all the necessary steps. After a Gurnee motorcycle accident a motorcyclist should:
- Wait for police. It is important that the rider wait for the police to arrive before leaving the scene. Once the police have arrived the rider, will be able to file a report and state what took place during the accident.
- Document the accident. Documenting the accident will be important when talking to insurance adjusters and attorneys. It is likely that a motorcycle rider will not have a pen and paper to document at the scene. Take mental notes of all the details and write them down as soon as possible.
- Document any injuries. After an accident, it is important to seek medical attention right away. Even if the victim does not notice any signs of immediate injury, it is still a good idea to be checked out. Keep documentation of any doctor visits and other medical attention that was needed.
- Keep evidence. Keep all evidence that pertains to the accident in the state it was in afterwards. Doing this will aid the victim during a lawsuit or claim.
- Contact an attorney. After a motorcycle accident there will most likely be a claim or lawsuit. To get fair compensation, the victim should contact an experienced Gurnee motorcycle accident attorney at Hupy and Abraham. Call 866-625-2299 for a free case evaluation.