Should I Hire an Attorney for a Slip and Fall Injury Case?
When filing a claim for damages due to a slip and fall injury, it is essential that you hire an attorney who understands premises liability law. Our experienced slip and fall attorney in Gurnee, IL, will help ensure that your rights are properly protected throughout the claims process so that you receive the maximum possible compensation for your injuries. Some of the key benefits of hiring an attorney include:
- Knowledge of relevant laws. Your attorney can provide advice on what types of legal claims you may be eligible to pursue and how to effectively argue your case. This is especially important when you might be partially at fault or if there are two or more parties who share liability for your injuries.
- Avoid making common mistakes. By consulting with an experienced attorney, you can rest assured that all legal requirements are met and that your rights are protected throughout the claims process. Your attorney can also communicate with insurers on your behalf, so you don't need to worry about accidentally saying something that could hurt your case.
- Assistance with paperwork and filing deadlines. An experienced slip & fall accident attorney can help make sure all documents are properly completed and filed in a timely manner. This prevents you from losing out on the compensation you need to recover from your injuries due to simple clerical errors.
- Negotiations with insurance companies. An attorney will handle any negotiations with insurance companies so that you can focus on recovering from your injuries. Insurance companies often offer lowball settlements to injury victims without legal representation, but your attorney will fight to protect your rights.
- Representation in court. If a settlement cannot be reached, our experienced Gurnee slip and fall lawyer will be prepared to represent you in court. We will present your case to the jury in the most persuasive way possible.
What is Premises Liability?
Premises liability cases are a type of personal injury claim. Premises liability is a legal concept that applies when an individual has been injured due to the negligence or carelessness of another person or entity.
To be eligible for compensation, you must prove that the property owner was negligent in keeping their premises safe or failed to warn of an existing hazard. There are four key elements that must be present:
- Duty of care. The property owner must have had a legal obligation to maintain a safe environment on their property.
- Breach of duty. You must then demonstrate how the property owner breached this legal responsibility by failing to keep the premises safe or warn of hazards.
- Damages. The property owner's breach of duty must have led to an injury that required you to seek medical attention.
- Causation. Finally, it must be established that this breach of duty caused your injury.
In slip and fall accidents, property owners are held liable for any resulting injuries caused by unsafe conditions. However, the strictest duty of care applies when the injured person was lawfully on the property as an invitee or licensee. When the injured person was trespassing, the property owner is not liable for their injuries unless their presence was made known before the injuries occurred.
Personal injury claims in Illinois, including those involving slip and fall accidents, generally have a two-year statute of limitations. However, you should not wait that long to contact an attorney. Taking prompt action helps you maximize your compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering by giving your attorney plenty of time to build the strongest possible case.
When Should You Report a Slip and Fall Incident in Illinois?
How Much Are Attorney Fees for a Slip and Fall Case?
The cost of hiring a Gurnee slip and fall attorney to pursue your case depends on several factors, including the complexity of the case, the attorney's experience level, and the amount of time required to complete the claim. Most personal injury attorneys offer free initial consultations so that you can determine whether pursuing legal action is right for your situation.
Attorneys who handle slip and fall accidents typically work on contingency, meaning that they will not receive any payment unless you receive compensation for your slip and fall injuries. In this type of arrangement, you typically pay a percentage of any settlement or court award as the fee for legal representation. The percentage you will be expected to pay will be explained before you sign a retainer.
At Hupy and Abraham, we believe that everyone deserves fair legal representation when they've suffered a serious slip and fall injury. This is why we offer a "Win or It's Free Guarantee." If we don't win your slip and fall case, you don't pay us a cent.
What Should You Look for in a Gurnee Slip and Fall Lawyer?
With so many slip-and-fall attorneys available, how do you choose? Ideally, you should start your search for an attorney as soon as your immediate medical needs have been met. Base your research on the following factors:
- Experience with premises liability law. Make sure to find an attorney whose practice focuses on premises liability and slip-and-fall cases.
- Reputation. Look for an attorney who has been highly recommended by past clients or colleagues in the legal community.
- Commitment. Find an attorney who is willing to devote the time and resources necessary to pursue your case.
At Hupy and Abraham, we want you to feel confident in your choice of legal representation for your slip and fall claim. That's why we've made our case results, testimonials, and awards and accolades readily available online. We also provide a comprehensive resource center to explain key concepts related to Illinois personal injury law, premises liability, and slip and fall accident claims.
What to Expect During a Consult With Our Slip & Fall Attorney in Gurnee
When you meet with our Gurnee slip and fall attorney, here's what to expect from the initial consultation:
- A review of the circumstances surrounding your accident
- A brief explanation of the legal process for filing a premises liability claim in Illinois
- Advice on how to maximize compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering
- A discussion of the attorney fees associated with pursuing the case and our "Win or It's Free Guarantee"
You can help us by bringing the following information if you have it available:
- A copy of your medical records, including any tests, treatments, and diagnoses that have been made
- Photographs of the accident scene, including where you fell and the hazardous condition that caused your injury
- A written account of what you remember about how you were hurt
- Contact information for any witnesses who may have seen the accident
- Any other relevant documents, such as your insurance policy or pay stubs with lost wages
- A list of specific questions you have about the process of pursuing your slip and fall claim
Contact Hupy and Abraham Today for Help With Your Slip and Fall Claim in Gurnee
If you have suffered an injury due to a slip and fall accident, contact the experienced attorneys at Hupy and Abraham today. Our Gurnee slip and fall attorney will provide a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys to discuss the details of your case so that you can make an informed decision about your legal options.
At our personal injury firm, we welcome clients from throughout Illinois. To set up a confidential free consultation, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.