If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident caused by the negligence of another party, don't try to go it alone. An experienced attorney will be able to investigate your case to prove liability, so you get the compensation you deserve. Don't wait; contact our experienced Bloomington slip and fall lawyer at Hupy and Abraham to help with your accident claim.
Who Should File a Slip and Fall Claim?
A slip & fall accident can happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall due to someone else’s negligence, you may wonder if you have a case. The answer depends on a few factors.
In Bloomington, IL, there are three groups of people who can file a slip and fall claim if the fall and resulting injury were due to someone else’s negligence. They are as follows:
- You are the person who was hurt in the fall
- You are the parent or guardian of a child who is hurt in a slip and fall
- You are the administrator of the estate of someone who died from injuries
For any one of these groups to file a claim, the slip and fall must have occurred due to someone else’s negligence. This means that the property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition and did not do anything to fix it or warn people about it. If you’re not sure if your slip and fall meet these criteria, an experienced slip and fall accident attorney will be able to help you determine if you have a case.
How Much Is a Slip and Fall Injury Worth?
If you've been injured in a slip and fall accident, you might have questions about how much your injury is worth. The answer can be complicated, but an experienced Bloomington slip and fall lawyer will be able to help you value your case and get the compensation you deserve.
There are two types of damages that you can recover in an Illinois slip and fall case—economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages are those that have a specific monetary value attached to them, like medical bills or lost wages. Non-economic damages are more difficult to quantify, but they can include things like pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of life.
In most cases, you will be able to recover both economic and non-economic damages if you've been injured in a slip, trip and fall accident. However, there are some exceptions. For example, if the property owner can prove that you were trespassing on their property when you were injured, they may not be held liable for your injuries.
Each case is unique, and the amount of money you can expect to receive will depend on factors like the severity of your injuries, whether or not you were partially at fault for the accident, and whether or not the property owner had insurance. An experienced injury attorney will be able to investigate your case and help you understand what compensation you might be entitled to. They will also be able to negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf so that you don't have to worry about getting forced into accepting a settlement worth less than the value of your case. If necessary, they will also take your case to trial so that you can get the full amount of compensation that you deserve.
Do I Have a Slip and Fall Case?
Knowing whether or not you have a valid case is probably the most important factor when deciding whether to move forward or not with an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Blomington, IL. Below, our lead attorny Jason Abraham discusses what you should do in order to determine whether you have a qualifying case.
Should I Hire a Slip and Fall Injury Lawyer in Bloomington?
If you or a loved one have been injured in a slip, trip or fall, you may ask if it is worth your time and money to hire an attorney. The answer is yes—hiring a qualified Bloomington slip & fall injury lawyer can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
These lawyers know the ins and outs of the insurance claim process and can help you get the full amount of compensation you deserve. Here are just a few of the ways an experienced attorney can help you after a slip and fall accident:
- Advise you of your options. When dealing with the aftermath of a serious accident, it can be difficult to know your best course of action. An experienced lawyer will take the time to review your case and advise you on all of your legal options so that you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.
- Preserve evidence. To prove liability in a slip and fall case, it is often necessary to collect evidence from the accident scene. This evidence can disappear quickly, so it is important to act fast. A lawyer will know how to properly preserve evidence so that it can be used to support your claim.
- Negotiate with insurers. Insurance companies are notorious for lowballing injury victims to save money. A Bloomington slip and fall injury lawyer will have experience negotiating with insurers and will fight for the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to.
- Protect your rights in court. If your case goes to court, having an attorney by your side will give you the best chance at success. Your lawyer will know how to build a strong legal case on your behalf and will fight for your rights every step of the way.
How Long Do I Have to Sue for a Slip and Fall?
Each state has a specific amount of time known as a statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit. In Illinois, the statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. This may seem like a long time, but it's important to remember that building a strong case takes time. As such, it's best to start working with a lawyer as soon as possible after your accident.
There are many benefits to working with a lawyer soon after your accident. First, your lawyer can help preserve evidence. This is important because it can be difficult to obtain key pieces of evidence (such as surveillance footage) months or years down the road. Second, getting started on your case sooner rather than later can make your recovery faster. If you wait too long to get a lawyer, it will take longer to recover damages—if you can recover them at all.
There are some exceptions to the statute of limitations. For example, if you were injured as a minor or if you have been mentally incapacitated due to your injuries, you may have more time to file a lawsuit.
How to Find the Best Slip and Fall Lawyer in Bloomington
A slip, trip and fall can result in serious injuries that leave you with mounting medical bills since you cannot work. If your accident was caused by someone else's negligence, you might be entitled to compensation. However, navigating the legal system can be complex and overwhelming, especially if you're already dealing with your accident's physical and emotional fallout.
That's why it's important to find an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Bloomington, IL, who can guide you through the process and fight for the compensation you deserve. But with so many attorneys out there, how can you be sure you're choosing the right one? There are several things to look for when choosing a slip & fall attorney, such as:
- Experience. When it comes to something as important as your claim, you want an attorney who has extensive experience handling similar slip and fall injury cases. Look for an attorney who has tried slip and fall cases in court and knows the ins and outs of Illinois personal injury law.
- Case results. The best way to gauge an attorney's effectiveness is by looking at their past case results. You can also check online reviews to get an idea of what other clients have thought about working with that particular lawyer.
- Testimonials. In addition, online reviews are another great way to get a sense of what it would be like to work with a particular attorney is by reading testimonials from past clients. These firsthand accounts can give you valuable insight into an attorney's strengths and weaknesses.
- Awards and accolades. Check out how the community regards a lawyer by looking at the types of awards and accolades they have been given. Hupy and Abraham have been voted best and rated best by their clients and community.
When you've been injured in a slip n' fall accident, the last thing you want is to pay for a consultation with a lawyer only to find out they're not a good fit for your case. That's why it's important to choose an attorney who offers free consultations. This way, you can meet with them in person, ask any questions you have about your case, and get a feel for their personality before committing to working together.
Contact Our Bloomington Slip and Fall Attorney
If you were injured in a slip & fall accident due to a property owner’s negligence, contact our Bloomington slip and fall attorney as soon as possible. Our experienced team at Hupy and Abraham will fight to get you the settlement you deserve. For a free consultation, contact us online or call our office at 1-800-800-5678.