Bike accidents can result in devastating injuries and severe financial burdens. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle collision, it is essential to understand the complexities of these types of cases and the importance of hiring an experienced bike accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI.
At Hupy and Abraham, our Milwaukee bike crash attorney understands what it takes to get you the settlement you deserve and will fight to ensure a winning outcome.
In the definitive guide below, we discuss everything you need to know from what to do following an accident to how to hire the best attorney for your particular situation.
Differences Between an Auto Accident and a Motorcycle Accident
Understanding the differences between auto and motorcycle accidents is crucial for both motorists and legal professionals involved in handling these cases. One of the main differences between the two is the protection. Motorcycle accidents differ significantly from auto accidents due to the lack of protection a motorcycle provides. Automobiles offer a substantial level of protection to occupants, including seat belts, airbags, and the overall structural design of the vehicle. In contrast, motorcycles lack these safety features, exposing riders to a collision’s impact.
Some other differences between auto accidents and motorcycle accidents are:
- Vulnerability and injury severity. Due to the lack of protection, motorcyclists are far more vulnerable to severe injuries than automobile occupants. Bikers are at a higher risk of suffering traumatic injuries that require extensive medical treatment and long-term disabilities.
- Maneuverability and visibility. Motorcycles have a smaller profile and are more maneuverable than cars. This maneuverability allows motorcyclists to navigate through traffic but also increases the risk of being overlooked by other drivers. Motorcycles are more prone to accidents caused by other drivers failing to see them or misjudging their speed or distance.
- Road hazards. Road hazards that may be minor inconveniences for cars, such as potholes or debris, can pose significant risks to motorcyclists. Uneven surfaces, oil spills, or loose gravel can cause a motorcycle to lose control, resulting in an accident. Motorcyclists need to be more vigilant and responsive to potential road hazards.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accident injuries are often more severe compared to injuries sustained in auto accidents. Some common motorcycle accident injuries include the following:
- Fractures such as arms, legs, wrists, ankles, and ribs
- Soft tissue injuries such as sprains or strains
- Head and brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries such as herniated discs or whiplash
- Road rash
- Internal injuries such as organ damage or internal bleeding
- Limb amputations
- Psychological trauma
These injuries can result in long-term disabilities, extensive medical treatment, and significant financial hardships for the victims and their families.
Common Bike Wreck Causes
Bike accidents in Milwaukee can occur due to various factors, often resulting from a combination of rider behavior, road conditions, and the actions of other motorists. Understanding the common causes of motorcycle accidents is essential for both motorcyclists and other drivers to promote road safety and prevent accidents. Some of the most common causes of bike wrecks include:
- Distracted or reckless driving. Distracted driving—such as texting, talking on the phone, eating, or adjusting the radio—is a leading cause of motorcycle accidents. When drivers are not fully focused on the road, they may fail to see motorcycles or misjudge their speed and distance.
- Left-turn collisions. Left-turn collisions are a significant cause of motorcycle accidents. These accidents occur when a vehicle making a left turn fails to yield the right-of-way to an oncoming motorcycle, resulting in a collision.
- Lane changing accidents. Motorcycles are smaller and more maneuverable than cars, making them vulnerable to accidents caused by other drivers changing lanes without properly checking blind spots or signaling their intentions.
- Road hazards. Road hazards and poor road conditions—such as potholes, loose gravel, debris, or uneven surfaces—pose greater risks to motorcycles than cars. Motorcyclists must navigate these hazards cautiously, as they can cause loss of control, skidding, or accidents.
- Lack of visibility. Motorcycles are inherently less visible than larger vehicles. Drivers failing to see motorcycles, either due to blind spots, inattentiveness, or adverse weather conditions, can lead to accidents. Increased awareness and vigilance on the part of both motorcyclists and other drivers can help mitigate this risk.
- Inexperienced riders. Inexperienced riders are more susceptible to motorcycle accidents due to a lack of knowledge and skill in handling their bikes. Inadequate training, poor judgment, and failure to anticipate hazards can contribute to accidents involving novice riders.
What to Do After a Bike Crash?
After any auto accident, it is essential to prioritize your safety and well-being. Seek immediate medical attention, even if you feel fine, as some injuries may not appear immediately. In addition, you will want to do the following:
- Report the incident to the police. Alert law enforcement of the accident and cooperate with the police by providing an accurate account of the accident. Obtain a copy of the police report since it can be used to support your claim.
- Document the accident scene. If possible, gather evidence at the accident scene. Take photographs of the vehicles involved, any visible injuries, damage to your bike, skid marks, and road conditions. Also, collect contact information from witnesses who may have seen the accident and any other parties involved.
- Contact a bike crash lawyer. It is crucial to consult with a bike crash lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, who can help you navigate the legal process and protect your rights.
In addition, you will want to refrain from talking to insurance companies who may contact you immediately after the accident and pressure you to settle for less than what your claim is worth. You should also avoid posting details about the accident on social media since anything you post can be used against your case.
Do I Need a Bike Accident Attorney in Milwaukee?
Consulting with an experienced bike accident attorney in Milwaukee is highly recommended if you have been involved in a motorcycle crash. An attorney specializing in these cases understands the complexities involved in motorcycle accident claims and can navigate the legal system on your behalf.
Trying to navigate the complexities of a motorcycle accident claim without legal representation can result in your claim being denied or undervalued by the insurance company. A lawyer also understands the statute of limitations for filing a claim and will be sure your claim is filed within the timeframe. In Wisconsin, you have three years from the accident date to file a lawsuit to seek compensation for your injuries or damages resulting from the accident.
What Does a Bike Accident Lawyer Do?
A bike accident lawyer specializes in handling motorcycle accident cases. They can do the following to help with your case:
- Fully investigate the accident
- Gather evidence and identify liable parties
- Assess the full extent of your injuries and damages
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf
- Represent you in court if necessary
A bike accident lawyer’s goal is to protect your rights, seek justice, and obtain maximum compensation for your losses.
How to Find the Best Bike Accident Lawyer in Milwaukee
Finding the best motorcycle accident attorney in Milwaukee requires thorough research. Consider the following tips on how to find the best motorcycle accident attorney for your case:
- Ask for referrals. Seek recommendations for lawyers from trusted sources, such as friends, family, or coworkers. You may also want to consider using a lawyer you know personally or used for another case. Always be sure that the lawyer you choose has experience in motorcycle accident claims.
- Research online. You can also find a lawyer by doing research online. Begin by reading reviews and testimonials from past clients to provide insight into how satisfied others have been with the lawyer.
- Read case results. Read case results to see what types of settlements have been secured for other motorcycle accident clients.
Ultimately, the bike crash lawyer you choose should understand Wisconsin's motorcycle laws and possess excellent negotiation and litigation skills. And while all that is true, it helps to have someone who knows bikes, and is a rider himself. At Hupy & Abraham, we have a number of attorneys who hit the open road themselves.
How to Hire a Bike Crash Attorney
Once you have identified potential Milwaukee bike crash attorneys, schedule consultations to discuss your motorcycle accident case. At the initial meeting, you will want to ask questions since the answers will provide insight into whether the lawyer is the right fit for your case.
Some questions to ask at the initial meeting include:
- What is your experience in handling motorcycle accident cases?
- What is your success rate in cases like mine?
- Do you work on a contingency fee or offer another payment arrangement?
- Who will be my point of contact throughout my case?
- Do you see any challenges with my case?
- What do you think my motorcycle accident claim is worth?
- Are you prepared to take my case to court if it is not settled with the insurance company?
The answers to your questions will help you assess the lawyer’s level of dedication, empathy, and commitment to your case. You will want to choose an attorney who makes you feel comfortable and confident in their ability to handle your motorcycle accident claim effectively.
Contact Our Milwaukee Bike Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash in Eastern Wisconsin, contact our experienced bike accident lawyer in Milwaukee, WI, at Hupy and Abraham. Our legal team is available for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your case and offer a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
Our Milwaukee personal injury lawyers will work closely with you throughout the legal process to give you the support you need. To set up a confidential appointment, please fill out our convenient contact form or call us at 800-800-5678.