Can I sue if a police officer shot me?

A police shooting can cause a significant injury or death. If you’re hurt or your loved one is killed, then you understandably want to know if you can sue the police for the significant harm that was done when the officer shot the gun.

Was the Shooting Excessive Force?

Before you know whether you have the right to pursue a police brutality case, you must answer this question. Was the police officer justified in shooting the gun or was the shooting an act of excessive force?

If you, or your loved one, were shot then you may believe that the shooting was excessive force, and therefore an act of police brutality. Understandably, you would think so, and you may be right. However, before you make any claim or take any action, it is important to review your case with an experienced police brutality lawyer.

Some of the factors that your lawyer will consider when deciding whether the shooting was excessive force include finding out whether:

  • You or your loved one were armed
  • The police had reasonable suspicion that you or your loved one were armed
  • The police had reasonable suspicion to believe that there was a risk to public safety
  • The police tried or should have tried less force to control the situation. For example, did the cop identify as a police officer? Did the police officer issue a verbal warning? Did the police officer use bodily contact or a non-deadly weapon before using a gun?

Based on the answers to these questions, your lawyer will advise you of your rights and potential next steps.

Don’t Delay Your Free Legal Consultation

You have a limited amount of time to take action in a potential police brutality case. Call the experienced legal team of Hupy and Abraham today for an honest and thorough review of your claim so that you know what steps you can take to protect your rights.

We are proud to have recovered the largest police brutality settlement in Wisconsin history, and we will continue to seek justice in every police brutality case that warrants it. Call us, or fill out our online form today, to learn more.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.