A settlement offer is on the table, and you have a big decision to make. Should you accept the insurance company’s offer to settle your motorcycle accident, or should you continue to negotiate or go to court?
You don’t have to make this decision without the advice and input of an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. Our attorneys have represented more than 4,000 riders and secured tens of millions of dollars on their behalf. We know the games insurance companies play, and insurance companies know that we will not settle for less than our clients’ cases are worth.
How to Identify a Fair Motorcycle Settlement
Before you decide whether to accept a settlement, we help our clients answer the following questions:
- Have I finished medical treatment for my acute injuries? If you are still receiving medical treatment for immediate injuries, then now may not be the right time to settle your case. Your future medical bills and the impact your injuries may have on your ability to work and enjoy life may still be too uncertain.
- Do I know how my injuries will impact me in the future? No one can predict the future, but there will come a time when your medical team can predict your future medical needs and physical limitations with reasonable certainty. This information will help determine what compensation you should receive for your future medical expenses, lost income, pain, suffering, and other losses.
- Is the insurance company pressuring me to settle my case quickly? Insurers may try to force a quick settlement before you know the full extent of your injuries. The settlement number may be enticing, but it is essential to remember two things. First, a fast settlement often benefits the insurance company. The insurance company wants you to settle before you know the full extent of your future damages so that it can settle for less than your case is really worth. Second, when you settle your claim, you will likely be required to sign an agreement that prevents you from seeking damages in the future—even if your injuries are worse than you currently anticipate.
- How strong is the evidence in my case? You may have to go to court if you refuse a settlement offer. Accordingly, your lawyer will review the available evidence to determine how it might hold up in court and whether you may recover additional damages if you continue to pursue your claim.
- What is my lawyer advising me to do? You face an overwhelming decision, but your lawyer can carefully assess all the pros and cons to settling your claim now. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer can skillfully assess the strength of your claim, the fairness of the settlement offer, and the pros and cons of refusing the specific offer on the table.
- Does the defendant have the resources/insurance coverage to pay my damages? The defendant’s ability to pay your damages is an important consideration. You want to make sure that you are only continuing to pursue a claim if you have a reasonable chance of recovering additional damages.
Additionally, we consider factors unique to our clients’ cases.
Want to Know More About Your Motorcycle Accident Compensation?
Now is the time to take action. You have a lot at stake, and our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers are here to help you protect your rights.
Many of our lawyers are also riders. We understand how your injuries may affect your lives, and we believe that you should be treated fairly throughout the legal process. Accordingly, we provide aggressive and compassionate representation for each of our clients.
We invite you to contact us today for a free consultation in one of our 11 law offices located throughout Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois, in your home or hospital room, or by phone or video conference. Let’s talk more about your rights, your motorcycle accident recovery, and our Win or It’s Free Guarantee so that you have all of the information that you need to decide what to do next.