The direct cost of 2010 motorcycle accidents in the United States was at least $16 billion and likely higher, according to a recent report from the Government Accountability Office (GAO). The GAO report cautioned that the $16 billion figure might be conservative because it is difficult to accurately measure the long-term medical expenses of injured victims. Specifically, long-term medical costs are only followed for a few years, not a lifetime, and changes in employment status and standard of living may not be fully measured.
What That $16 Billion Represents
According to the government report, motorcyclists were 30 times more likely to die than passenger car occupants in 2010 motor vehicle accidents. In 2010:
- About 82,000 motorcyclists were injured in crashes.
- 4,502 motorcyclists died in accidents.
- The average cost for a motorcycle accident fatality was $1.2 million.
- The average cost for a motorcycle accident injury ranged from $2,500 to $1.4 million.
- Of course, the true cost of a Milwaukee motorcycle accident injury or fatality is much more for an individual or a family who has to suffer such a significant event. For these individuals and families, the true cost may never be known.
Injured in a Bike Crash? Contact Our Milwaukee Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
Were you or a loved one recently injured in a bike crash due to another person’s negligence? If so, then it is time to contact our motorcycle accident lawyer in Milwaukee for a free consultation. Our team has been practicing law in Wisconsin for over 50 years, and have seen every type of bike wreck there is.
To schedule a consult with our experienced Milwaukee motorcycle accident lawyer, start an online chat, fill out our convenient contact form or call 1 (800) 800-5678 today!