You want your lawn to look beautiful, your lawn care business to succeed or your crops to grow—but you also want to be safe. Before you treat your lawn or go to work again, it is important to know if the chemicals that you put on the ground could be putting you at risk.
Who Is at Risk of Roundup® Injuries?
Monsanto, the company that makes Roundup®, maintains that its product is safe. Roundup® is an herbicide that is used to keep away weeds and protect lawns and crops. Currently, it is unknown how much Roundup® exposure could cause cancer. However, people who are regularly exposed to glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, may be at higher risk of developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. This includes landscapers, groundskeepers, and people who work in garden care centers, for example.
Multiple Roundup® Studies and Warnings
Over the last few years, warnings have been issued by different governments and organizations. These warnings include:
- The Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) 1985 warning. In 1985, an EPA committee found that Roundup® might cause cancer. However, in 1991 the EPA reviewed the conclusions of the 1985 study and reversed its opinion.
- A 2001 study published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. In this study, Canadian researchers found a link between the amount of herbicide or pesticide exposure and the development of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- A 2003 study published in the journal Occupational and Environmental Medicine. Researchers looked at farmers in the Midwest and determined that multiple exposures to pesticides may be related to the number of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma cases.
- A 2008 study in the International Journal of Cancer. In this study, Swedish researchers found that glyphosate exposure could significantly increase the risk of a non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma diagnosis within the decade following exposure.
- A 2014 study published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. This study looked at 30 years of data and found that pesticides and herbicides, including those that contain glyphosate, are a factor in the increased cases of non-Hodgkin lymphoma that are being diagnosed.
- The World Health Organization’s (WHO) March 2015 warning. In March 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of the World Health Organization, issued a report finding that Roundup® is “probably carcinogenic to humans.”
- Denmark’s Working Environment Authority (WEA) warning. After the WHO warning in March 2015, Denmark began listing Roundup® as a carcinogen.
- France’s phaseout of glyphosate products. In October 2017, the French Prime Minister said that glyphosate products would be phased out over five years and banned beginning in the year 2022. In January 2019, a French court placed an immediate ban on Roundup® Pro 360 claiming that the France Environment Agency (ANSES) failed to consider Roundup® Pro 360’s health risks when it approved the product.
Additionally, Monsanto is banned from lobbying at the European Parliament because the company refused to attend the European Parliament’s hearing regarding whether Monsanto altered critical safety assessments about the potential link between Roundup® and cancer.
Monsanto Faces Roundup® Lawsuits
Despite the various studies and government warnings, Monsanto has sold Roundup® to U.S. consumers since the mid-1970s. People who have been exposed to Roundup® and who have non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma have filed lawsuits against Monsanto alleging that the company has known about the cancer risk for years and has failed to warn the public about the dangers.
If you have had regular exposure to Roundup® and if you have non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma then you may be able to pursue legal action to protect your financial recovery.
Thousands of other people who have been hurt have filed lawsuits seeking compensation for their injuries. Our experienced injury lawyers invite you to contact us directly if you have developed non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma after working with Roundup® in Wisconsin, Illinois, or Iowa. We want to know what happened to you and we would be pleased to offer you a free case evaluation so that you can learn more about your legal rights and about what you might recover in a Roundup® lawsuit.
Call us or reach out to us via this website today. Learn about our Win or It’s Free Guarantee and about your legal options so that you can make the informed decisions that are right for your future.