Have you or a loved one been injured by a drug or medical device? If so, you are not alone. Thousands of people every year sustain serious injuries due to drugs that are either misused, improperly prescribed, used incorrectly, or given as part of a defective product. If you have been injured by a drug, it is crucial to seek legal help right away. Our knowledgeable Madison drug injury lawyer have decades of experience helping victims recover the financial compensation they are entitled to under Wisconsin law.
Our team can help you navigate the legal system while also providing you with compassionate support throughout the process. We will fight hard to make sure that your rights are protected and that your best interests are represented in court.
What Is a Drug Injury?
A drug injury is any type of injury caused by the use of prescription or over-the-counter drugs or dangerous medical devices. This includes injuries from adverse reactions to drugs, such as an allergic reaction, overdose, defective products, incorrect dosages, or improper labeling. These injuries can range from mild discomfort to life-threatening conditions and even death.
Drug injuries can include a wide range of physical and mental illnesses, from minor side effects such as skin rash or stomach upset to more serious conditions like a heart attack or stroke, diabetes, internal bleeding, kidney failure, liver failure, depression, and certain types of cancer. It's important to understand that these risks are real and cannot be ignored.
If you believe that you have suffered an injury due to a prescription drug, over-the-counter medication, or a dangerous medical device, it is essential to seek medical attention immediately. You will want to keep records of any treatment you receive and what drug or device was used that caused your injury.
Additionally, you need to contact an experienced Madison drug injury lawyer as soon as possible so they can review your case and advise you on whether you may have grounds for a lawsuit against the manufacturer or distributor of the product in question.
What Does a Madison Drug Injury Lawyer Do?
A drug injury lawyer is an experienced attorney who specializes in representing victims of drug injuries. They are knowledgeable about the law and understand the nuances of this type of case. This type of attorney can do the following to ensure that you receive the full and fair compensation you are entitled to under Wisconsin law:
- Investigate the cause of your injury. A drug injury lawyer will investigate the cause of your injury and work to determine who is at fault.
- Gather evidence. They will gather evidence such as medical records, witness accounts, and other relevant documents used to support your claim.
- Negotiate a settlement. A drug injury lawyer will negotiate a settlement with the other party’s insurance company to ensure that you receive the full and fair compensation you are entitled to under Wisconsin law. You may be able to recover damages such as medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and out-of-pocket costs.
- Represent your interests in court. If your claim is not settled with the insurance company, a drug injury lawyer can represent your interests in court and fight for your rights if necessary.
- Provide compassionate legal counsel. An experienced Madison drug injury attorney can provide you with compassionate legal counsel throughout the entire process. They can take the stress off you so you can focus on healing from your injuries.
Do I Have a Case Against a Pharmaceutical Company?
We're often asked this question, as well as, "is my pharmaceutical case going to be handled in a class action?" The reality is that cases against drug companies can be very difficult and expensive. These companies have unlimited funds at their disposal, but our drug injury lawyer in Madison, WI, has the knowledge and experience to go toe-to-toe with big pharma.
What Is the Statute of Limitations to File a Drug Injury Lawsuit in Wisconsin?
In Wisconsin, like in most states, there is a statute of limitations for filing a drug injury lawsuit. Generally, this statute requires that you file your lawsuit within three years of when the injury occurred or when it should have been reasonably discovered. However, different time periods may apply in some situations, and there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if a minor is injured due to a defective drug, the statute of limitations may be extended until their 18th birthday or the date when they should have reasonably discovered the injury.
In cases where the drug injury is part of a class-action lawsuit, the statute of limitations may be different from the typical three-year deadline. An attorney can explain the specific deadlines required for participating in a class-action claim to ensure you are eligible to recover damages for the drug injury.
Having an experienced drug injury lawyer in Madison, WI, on your side can help you understand how these laws apply in your particular case and ensure that your lawsuit is filed within the legal timeframe. Failing to file a claim before the statute of limitations expires will result in a loss of the right to pursue any compensation for your injuries.
How to Find the Best Drug Injury Lawyer in Madison
It is essential to select the right attorney for your drug injury case in Madison, WI, so you can have the best possible outcome for your lawsuit. When it comes to selecting a drug injury lawyer, there are several important factors that should be considered. These include the following:
- Experience and specialized knowledge. It is important to select an experienced attorney who has specialized knowledge in drug injury law and understands the nuances of this type of case. You want a lawyer with a proven track record of successful case results.
- Compassion and commitment. You should look for an attorney who is committed to providing you with compassionate, personalized legal counsel throughout the entire process. Reading past client testimonials can show how satisfied others have been with the lawyer for their particular case.
- Professionalism and integrity. Ensure that your attorney has a good reputation in the legal community and is willing to fight for your rights if necessary. You can check what types of awards and accolades a lawyer has received to give insight into how they are regarded in the community.
- Resources. The lawyer should also have the resources and connections necessary to effectively pursue your case against big pharmaceutical companies and their insurance.
- Fees. Be sure to ask about fees and payment plans before signing any contracts. Many lawyers work on a contingency fee and do not expect payment until your case settles.
By taking the time to research these factors to select an experienced Madison drug injury lawyer, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the full compensation that you deserve.
Who Can I Sue for a Defective Drug Injury?
In cases of defective drug injuries, it is possible to sue multiple parties who may have contributed to your injury. Depending on the circumstances, you could potentially bring a claim against the following:
- The manufacturer of the drug. The manufacturer of the drug or device may be held liable if the drug was improperly made or manufactured in some way that caused your injury.
- The seller of the drug. If the seller failed to provide adequate warning of any potential risks associated with taking the drug, they could be liable for your damages.
- Your health care provider. If your health care provider prescribed a medication that they knew or should have known was dangerous, they might be held responsible.
By pursuing legal action against these parties, you can ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you deserve. An experienced drug injury lawyer can guide you through the process of filing a claim and help you obtain the maximum possible award for your injuries.
If there are a group of people injured by a drug or medical device, a class action lawsuit may be filed against the company that manufactured the drug or medical device. An attorney can explain the benefits of a class action lawsuit and what type of recovery may be expected for all the parties named in the claim.
Why Choose Hupy and Abraham
Contact Our Madison Drug Injury Attorney for a Free Consult
If you suffered an injury due to defective drugs or medical devices, contact Hupy & Abraham for a free, no-obligation consultation. Our experienced Madison drug injury attorney has a successful track record of getting our clients the fair recovery they deserve. To schedule an appointment, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.