Your life changed the moment you were in a truck crash, and you have to live with a visible reminder of your accident every day. Facial scarring is much more than a cosmetic injury, however, and you deserve fair compensation for the significant impact facial scarring has on your life.
What Are Facial Scars?
Not all facial scars are the same. Some different types of scarring include:
- Hypertrophic scars. Hypertrophic scars are often hard and smooth. They may fade over time, but they often remain easily visible.
- Keloid scars. These scars are typically hard, smooth, and larger than your initial injury. Surgery may be required to minimize the appearance of the scar.
- Hyperpigmentation. Skin may grow back darker in the area that was hurt in the crash.
- Contracture scars. Contracture scars often occur after the skin contracts while healing from a burn injury. If you suffer a contracture scar, then the muscle and tissue in your face may be impacted and you may have trouble moving part of your face.
Facial scars that occur without any loss of function are still significant injuries. Many people with permanent facial scars suffer from:
- Low self-esteem and confidence
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) because the scar is a consistent reminder of the truck crash
- Difficulty finding a job
- Complicated social interactions, including finding or maintaining personal relationships
- Social isolation or withdrawal
- Sleep problems
For all of these reasons, your quality of life may change significantly after a truck crash causes facial scarring.
How a Facial Scar Can Happen in a Truck Wreck
The significant impact of a truck crash can cause a facial injury if:
- Flying debris hits your face
- Glass shatters and cuts your face
- Your face hits the steering wheel, dashboard, or airbag
- You suffer a burn
Anytime your face is cut, you should seek prompt medical care to treat the emergency and to minimize the long-term impact of scarring.
Compensation for Truck Accident Facial Scars
You may never completely recover from a facial scar. Accordingly, your compensation for a facial scar in a truck accident case should include past and future:
- Medical expenses. You may require reconstruction surgeries, hospitalizations, doctor’s visits, and medications.
- Lost income. A facial scar can interfere with your employment. You may recover for any loss of income, including wages, benefits, raises, bonuses, and income from self-employment.
- Pain and suffering. Physical pain and emotional suffering may be your most significant damages from a facial scar. You have no bills or receipts that show exactly how much pain and suffering you’ve experienced, but a truck accident lawyer can accurately value these damages and fight for your fair recovery.
- Other expenses. Any additional costs that were directly related to your facial injury or other truck accident injuries should be part of your compensation.
The value of your truck accident recovery depends on the color, size, and location of your facial scar and other factors such as your age, gender, and marital status. Unfortunately, insurance companies rarely provide fair settlements on their own.
How a Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You Get the Recovery You Deserve
Insurance companies know that our Illinois truck accident attorneys mean business. We gather and analyze evidence to make compelling arguments on behalf of our clients. If an insurance company is unwilling to settle your claim fairly, then we will go to court to fight for your recovery. Insurance companies know this, and it often makes them more willing to negotiate with us.
Over the past 50 years, our Midwest personal injury lawyers have helped more than 70,000 clients recover more than $1 billion in compensation. We are here to fight for you now. Call us or complete our contact form to have us contact you as soon as possible. We are pleased to offer you a free, no-obligation in our Bloomington, Gurnee, or Rockford office, at your home, in your hospital room, or remotely by phone or video. Let’s talk about your truck accident, your possible recovery, and our Win or It’s Free Guarantee!