At Hupy and Abraham, we appreciate the vital role commercial drivers play in our country's supply chain. However, we believe that negligent drivers who injure others due to their carelessness must be held fully accountable for their actions when involved in a commercial truck accident. If you've been hurt in an accident involving a semi truck, delivery truck, or another commercial vehicle, our Gurnee truck accident lawyer can help.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident?
If you've been in a semi truck or commercial vehicle accident, the moments and hours after can be confusing, overwhelming, and even frightening. Here are four things you should do after a truck accident to protect your rights and your health:
- Seek medical attention. Even if you don't think you're injured, it's important to get checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible. Some serious injuries, such as concussions, aren't always immediately apparent. And, if you wait too long to seek medical treatment, the insurance company may try to argue that your injuries aren't related to the accident. If you've been in a truck accident, go to the ER or your doctor as soon as possible.
- Gather evidence. If you're able to do so, take pictures of the accident scene, the damage to your vehicle, and any visible injuries you have. It's also a good idea to get the contact information for any witnesses who saw the accident occur.
- Don't give a statement to the other driver's insurance company. The insurance adjuster may contact you and ask for a recorded statement about the accident. It's important that you do not give them one without first consulting with an attorney—anything you say could be used against you later on down the road.
- Contact an experienced truck accident lawyer. Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with after an collision, and they will often try to lowball you on your settlement offer. An experienced Gurnee truck accident attorney will know how to negotiate with insurance companies and fight for the compensation you deserve. And if necessary, they can file a personal injury lawsuit on your behalf. It helps to contact an experienced truck accident attorney as soon as possible.
Why Should I Hire a Truck Accident Attorney in Gurnee?
One of the most important decisions you can make is whether or not to hire a Gurnee truck accident lawyer. You are not required to have a truck attorney to seek compensation for your injuries, but there are several reasons why legal representation is a good idea when involved in a semi accident:
- They understand the law. Truck accident attorneys are well-versed in the many laws and regulations that govern the trucking industry. This includes federal regulations set forth by the Department of Transportation, as well as applicable state laws.
- They have experience dealing with insurance companies. Insurance companies are notorious for lowballing victims of accidents and trying to get them to settle for less than they deserve. A good truck accident lawyer will have experience dealing with insurance adjusters and knows how to fight for maximum compensation.
- They will fight for you every step of the way, so you can focus on your health. From investigating the cause of the accident and gathering evidence to negotiating with insurance companies and, if necessary, taking your case to trial, your truck accident attorney will be with you every step of the way. This will give you the time you need to focus on healing from your injuries without worrying about the financial impact of the accident.
In Illinois, there is a two-year statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim. However, you should not wait this long to contact an attorney. It takes time to build a strong case and valuable evidence can be lost if you don't act quickly.
What Does a Truck Collision Attorney Do?
A commercial truck accident attorney is a lawyer who focuses on representing people who have been injured in accidents involving commercial vehicles. Here's a look at some of the steps they'll take to build your case and help you get the compensation you deserve:
- Gather evidence. The first step in building your case is to gather evidence. This may include photos of the accident scene, the damage to your vehicle, and any visible injuries you have. Your lawyer will also want to get the contact information for any witnesses who saw the accident occur.
- Obtain a copy of the police report. The police report from the accident will be important in building your case. It will contain information about what happened, who was involved, and any citations that were issued. Your Gurnee truck accident lawyer will be able to obtain a copy of the police report from the law enforcement agency that handled the accident.
- Review your medical records. In order to get compensation for your injuries, you'll need to provide evidence of the medical treatment you've received. Your lawyer will review your medical records to make sure all of your injuries are documented and that you're getting the proper treatment.
- Calculate your damages. Once all of the evidence has been gathered, your lawyer will calculate the total amount of damages you're entitled to. This may include medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. The next step is to negotiate with the insurance company. Your lawyer will present the evidence to the insurance adjuster and try to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf.
- Take your case to trial. The vast majority of truck accident claims in Gurnee, IL, settle out of court. If an agreement can't be reached, however, your lawyer will be prepared to take the case to trial.
There are many moving pieces to truck accident cases, and the process can become overwhelming very quickly. You may want to review How an Illinois Truck Accident Lawsuit Works to see eight things you need to know to get started.
How Can I Choose the Best Lawyer for a Commercial Truck Crash?
With so many lawyers out there vying for your business, it can be tough to know where to start. Here are a few tips to help you choose the best Gurnee truck accident attorney for your case:
- Look for experience. When it comes to something as serious as a truck accident, you want a lawyer who has plenty of experience under their belt. Not only will an experienced lawyer know how to navigate the legal system, but they'll also have a network of resources and experts they can rely on to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Review their website. An experienced truck crash lawyer should provide free information online to help you understand the law and evaluate the firm's qualifications. At Hupy and Abraham, we provide a comprehensive resource center, as well as our case results, testimonials, and awards and accolades to help truck accident victims make an informed decision about their legal representation.
- Check reviews and references. When narrowing down your options, be sure to check reviews and references for each lawyer you're considering. Talk to friends or family members who have used lawyers in the past, and read (and/or watch) online reviews from other clients. This will give you some insight into what it's like to work with each lawyer and whether they're likely to get results.
What Should I Ask a Gurnee Truck Crash Attorney During a Consult?
Your initial consultation with a Gurnee truck accident attorney is an opportunity to see if they are a good fit for your needs. Here are 10 questions to ask during your consultation to help you choose the right lawyer for your case:
- What is your experience handling truck accident cases in Illinois?
- Have you tried cases like mine in court?
- How long do you estimate my case will take from start to finish?
- Who will be working on my case?
- How often will I be updated on the status of my case?
- What are the likely outcomes of my case?
- What are the risks associated with my case?
- How much will it cost me to hire you?
- What are your payment terms?
- Do you have any other advice for me?
Asking these questions during your consultation will give you a better idea of whether or not the lawyer is a good fit for your case. Choosing the right lawyer is an important decision, so make sure to take your time and ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable with your choice.
How Can I Speak to a Gurnee Truck Accident Lawyer?
If you or a loved one have been recently injured in a truck accident, our Gurnee truck accident attorney can help. At our personal injury firm, we welcome clients from all over Illinois—including the nearby communities of Chicago, Waukegan, Kenosha, Mundelein, Zion, Lindenhurst, Grayslake, McHenry, Round Lake, Vernon Hills, Woodstock, Round Lake Beach, Lake Forest, Highland Park, Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, and Glencoe. To set up a confidential free consultation, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 800-800-5678.