After a crash with a semi or 18-wheeler, you may be left questioning what to do to protect your legal rights and possible compensation. Since these types of collisions can cause severe injuries, you may be unable to work and have medical bills accumulating, resulting in financial hardship. Consulting with an experienced Rockford truck accident lawyer immediately following a crash can help guide you through the complicated legal process and make sure you recover the damages you deserve.
What Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
Truck accidents can be complicated. Unlike a car accident, truck accident cases can have multiple defendants. It can be difficult to prove who to hold responsible for the accident and your injuries. An experienced truck accident lawyer in Rockford, IL, understands what is needed to prove your case and will work to identify possible defendants for your claim.
When you consult with an attorney, they can determine if you have a claim and help you pursue damages. Not only will they keep your legal rights protected throughout the case, but they will make sure your case is handled properly. There are several things that a truck crash attorney will do that can ensure you get a fair settlement, such as gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, negotiating with the insurance company so you don’t have to, and calculating the value of your claim, so you get a fair settlement. They can also handle all legal aspects of your claim so you can focus on recovering from the accident.
Why You Need a Rockford Truck Accident Lawyer
Any personal injury lawyer can represent your case, but you will want a lawyer with experience handling truck accident cases and that understands the complexities. There are many reasons why you should hire a Rockford truck accident attorney to represent your case, including:
- Remove stress and help you avoid costly mistakes by taking care of all legal aspects of your case.
- Collect evidence as soon as possible that can be used to prove your case. Evidence may include witness testimony, police report, medical reports, and photos and video of the accident scene.
- Negotiate with insurers who may pressure you to settle your case quickly and for less than what it is worth.
- Identify all possible defendants and pursue compensation for each party found liable.
- Determine the value of the damages you suffered from the accident and your injuries.
- Represent you in court and fight for a fair settlement if the insurance company does not agree to settle your claim.
How to Choose the Best Truck Accident Lawyer in Rockford
Choosing the best truck accident lawyer in Rockford, IL, can often be challenging. With many lawyers to choose from, it can make the task seem overwhelming. There are several ways to find the right lawyer for your truck accident claim. To start your search, ask friends or family for referrals of lawyers they may have used in the past. You may also know a lawyer personally who may be able to represent your case.
You can also look online. Search for lawyers in your local area and read the information on their websites to get an idea of whether the lawyer is the right fit for your case. You will want to make sure the lawyer you use has experience handling cases similar to yours. You may find it helpful to review various information that gives you an idea about the firm’s reputation and how they are regarded in the community. The following information can be found online and can help narrow down your selection:
- What types of awards and accolades a lawyer has to get insight into how they are rated and regarded by those in your local community.
- Case results can provide information on what types of settlements other truck accident victims have been awarded for their claims. The best lawyer will have a winning record of truck accident claims.
- Type of payment arrangement available—at Hupy and Abraham, we offer our clients a Win or It’s Free Guarantee!
- Client testimonials like the one below or that can be found on our website show the satisfaction others have with the firm and the lawyers. The best truck accident lawyer will be someone who has satisfied past clients.
After you narrow down your options, your next step is to meet with each one in person. Since many lawyers offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case, you have nothing to lose. At the initial consultation, you will want to ask questions since the answers will help you make a final decision. Finally, the lawyer you choose should be someone you feel comfortable talking to. If the lawyer does not listen or care about your case, they most likely are not the best choice for you.
What to Take With You to a Lawyer Consultation for a Truck Accident
A great way to know if a lawyer is the best fit for your truck accident case is by scheduling an initial consultation to meet with them in person. For most lawyers, the first meeting is free and requires no obligation.
Before your meeting, gather any documents you may want the lawyer to see for your case. This may include copies of police reports, medical reports, medical bills, or photos from the accident scene. You can write down notes about any details you remember from the accident and bring those with you to the consultation.
In addition, you may want to prepare a list of questions to ask the lawyer when you meet. These questions can give you insight into how a lawyer will handle your case and whether they are the right fit for your specific needs. Some questions to ask include:
- Do you have experience in truck accident cases?
- How many truck accident cases have you handled?
- What were the outcomes of the cases?
- Have you handled a case similar to mine?
- Do you think I have a valid claim?
- Would you be assigned to my case, or would it be someone else?
- Who would be my point of contact?
- How promptly do you return calls?
- What challenges do you see with my case?
- What do you think my case is worth?
- What amount of time do I have to file a lawsuit in Rockford?
- What type of evidence would be needed for my case?
- Are you able to represent me if my case goes to trial?
- Do you work on a contingency fee?
How Much Is a Truck Accident Attorney in Rockford?
With medical expenses causing a financial strain on you or your family, adding the cost of a lawyer may seem impossible. But hiring a truck accident lawyer in Rockford, IL, may be more affordable than you think. Many truck crash lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you do not pay any upfront fees, and you will pay the lawyer a percentage of your final settlement.
At Hupy and Abraham, we offer a Win or It’s Free Guarantee. Since we work on a contingency fee, there are no upfront payments expected, and we only collect a fee if we win your case. A contingency fee payment arrangement will be discussed between you and your lawyer. You will need to agree to a specific percentage and then sign an agreement. Make sure you are aware of any costs involved with your case. You may be required to pay filing fees, copying costs, fees for obtaining medical records, etc. If you are unsure what fees will be expected, ask your lawyer to explain them in detail.
Contact Our Rockford Truck Crash Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you were injured in a crash with a semi or 18-wheeler, find out more about your legal rights and the compensation you may be able to recover by contacting our Rockford truck accident attorney at Hupy and Abraham for a free, no-obligation consultation. To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at 800-800-5678.