If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to have the support of an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. Our skilled personal injury lawyers at Hupy and Abraham are riders, too, and understand the bias that motorcycle riders face. Not only that, but our Des Moines bike accident lawyer has the knowledge and experience to guide you through the legal process, protect your rights, and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages.
What to Do After a Bike Accident
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, the first thing you should do is seek medical attention. Even if you do not think your injuries are severe, it is important to get checked out by a medical professional to ensure that you have not sustained any internal injuries or head trauma.
After seeking medical attention, there are several steps you should take:
- Contact the police. Call the police and report the accident. Ask for a copy of the police report, as this will be valuable information for your insurance claim and any legal action you may take.
- Gather information. If possible, collect information from the other party involved in the accident, including their name, contact information, insurance information, and the make and model of their vehicle. Also, take photos of the accident scene, the damage to your motorcycle, and any injuries you sustained.
- Keep records. Keep a record of all medical treatment related to your injuries, including doctor visits, prescriptions, and rehabilitation. Also, keep track of any expenses related to the accident, such as repair costs for your motorcycle, lost wages, and transportation expenses.
- Consult with a Des Moines motorcycle accident attorney. Contact a motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal options, so you understand your rights.
How to Determine Fault in a Motorcycle Accident
Determining fault in a motorcycle accident can be challenging. In some cases, it is clear who is at fault, but in others, it may be a combination of factors that led to the accident. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you determine fault by analyzing the police report, interviewing witnesses, and examining the physical evidence at the scene.
There are many factors that can contribute to an accident, and fault can be attributed to one or multiple parties involved. Some of the most common factors that can lead to a motorcycle accident include:
- Distracted driving. Drivers distracted by their phones, passengers, or other factors can easily cause an accident by not paying attention to the road.
- Speeding. Excessive speed is a common cause of motorcycle accidents. Drivers driving too fast may be unable to react in time to avoid a collision.
- Driving under the influence. Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol can easily cause an accident due to impaired judgment and reduced reaction time.
- Poor road conditions. Poor road conditions, such as potholes, debris, or slick surfaces, can cause a motorcycle to lose control and crash.
How Much Compensation Will I Get for a Bike Crash?
The compensation you can receive for a bike accident varies on a case-by-case basis. Several factors can influence the value of the compensation, including the severity of the injuries, the cost of medical treatment, and the type of damages you incurred due to the accident.
In Iowa, a victim of a motorcycle accident can recover two types of damages: economic and non-economic. Economic damages refer to the financial losses that a victim has incurred due to the accident, such as:
- Medical bills
- Property damages
- Lost wages
Non-economic damages refer to the intangible losses that a victim has suffered, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is crucial to consult with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer who can help assess the full value of your case and negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company or take the case to trial if necessary.
When Do I Call a Lawyer for a Bike Accident?
It is best to contact a bike accident lawyer in Des Moines as soon as possible after a crash. This allows your lawyer to gather evidence, such as witness statements, while still fresh. If you wait too long, the evidence you need to prove your case may no longer be available. Additionally, many insurance companies have a time limit on when a claim can be filed. If you wait too long to contact an attorney, you may miss the opportunity to file a claim and receive compensation for your injuries and damages.
It is important to act quickly after a motorcycle accident to keep your legal rights and possible compensation protected. In Iowa, the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit is two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file a claim within the designated timeframe can result in losing the right to seek compensation for your injuries. Consulting with an experienced personal injury attorney immediately following the accident can help ensure you file your claim within the required timeframe to receive the compensation you deserve.
What Does a Des Moines Motorcycle Accident Attorney Do?
A Des Moines motorcycle accident attorney can do many things to help injured victims, such as advising them on their rights and legal options and providing guidance throughout the entire legal process. They can also help by doing the following:
- Gather evidence such as medical and police reports, photos and videos, and witness testimony to determine liability for the accident and your injuries
- Calculate the full amount of compensation you are entitled to receive under Iowa law
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you get a fair settlement
- Represent you in court if the insurance company does not settle your claim
How to Find the Best Bike Accident Lawyer in Des Moines
Finding the best bike accident lawyer in Des Moines requires some research. You will want to look for attorneys who specialize in motorcycle accidents and have a proven track record of success. Not only that, but having an attorney who is also a rider give you a unique advantage.
In addition, the following tips may help you with your search:
- Ask for referrals. You can start your search by asking for referrals from friends and family for names of lawyers they may have used personally. You may also want to consider using a lawyer you already know. Just make sure that the lawyer you choose has experience with bike accident cases.
- Read reviews and testimonials. Read past client reviews and testimonials to get an idea of how a lawyer rates professionally with their clients and how well they communicate and negotiate settlements.
- Examine case results. Look at each lawyer's case results to get a better understanding of the types of cases they have handled and their success rate.
- Awards and accolades. Additionally, you may want to research any awards or accolades that the lawyer or law firm has received, as it can indicate their standing in the legal community and the level of recognition they have earned. The lawyers at Hupy and Abraham have been voted and rated best by their community.
Once you narrow down your choices, schedule consultations with potential attorneys to discuss your case. During the consultation, ask about their experience with motorcycle accidents, their success rate, and their fees. Choose a Des Moines bike accident lawyer who is experienced, trustworthy, and who you feel comfortable working with.
How Much Does a Motorcycle Injury Attorney Cost?
The cost of a bike crash attorney varies depending on several factors, such as the attorney's experience and the case's complexity. Some motorcycle accident lawyers charge an hourly rate, while others work on a contingency fee. A contingency fee means that the attorney does not charge any upfront fees and only receives payment if they win your case. The contingency fee is typically a percentage of the compensation received. At Hupy and Abraham, we offer a Win or It's Free Guarantee to ensure that you won't face any financial risk.
It is essential to understand that additional expenses may be involved in your case beyond legal fees, such as filing fees or costs to hire expert witnesses. Always discuss all potential expenses with your attorney before moving forward with your case to avoid any unforeseen costs down the line. By doing so, you can have a clear understanding of the attorney's fee structure and any additional costs associated with your case
Contact Our Des Moines Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you were injured in a motorcycle crash, contact our Des Moines bike accident attorney at Hupy and Abraham for a free, no-obligation consultation. We are one of the top motorcycle accident firms in the country and will go above and beyond to win your case. To schedule a confidential appointment, contact us online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.