In the blink of an eye, a leisurely motorcycle ride can turn into a harrowing experience. A bike crash can cause injuries that last a lifetime, and in the worst cases, even cost someone their life. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bike crash in Iowa, it’s important to be informed and to find the best Davenport motorcycle accident lawyer for your case.
Read on to learn more about motorcycle accidents in Davenport and to learn why we’re one of the top motorcycle crash law firms in the nation.
Common Motorcycle Crash Causes in Davenport
When it comes to potential compensation in a motorcycle accident in Davenport, the first thing that must be proven is that the accident was someone else’s fault. A bike crash can come about as a result of a variety of negligent situations, including:
Why Motorcycle Accidents Happen
- Aggressive driving. If a driver is aggressive behind the wheel and is following a motorcycle too closely, they may not be able to stop in time when the vehicle in front of them brakes.
- Distracted driving. In today’s world, distracted driving happens more than ever. Whether it’s something egregious like a driver browsing social media behind the wheel or something small like a quick glance at an in-car GPS screen, it’s dangerous when someone takes their eyes off the road.
- Drunk driving. Even a small amount of alcohol can impede a driver’s judgment and coordination. If someone has been drinking before they drive, they can easily find themselves at fault in an accident.
- Speeding. Speed limits are in place for a reason. If a driver is going too fast for conditions, they may be unable to stop in time to avoid a motorcycle crash.
Most Common Injuries Suffered in Bike Accidents
Unfortunately, bike accident injuries are often severe. The riders our Davenport motorcycle accident lawyer represents come to us with a number of different injuries.
- Head injuries. Head injuries in motorcycle accidents are common, including skull fractures and brain injuries.
- Broken bones. The bones in the pelvis and hip are commonly broken in motorcycle wrecks, as are the bones in the arms and legs. Some of these broken bones can be life-altering.
- Back injuries. When the spinal cord suffers an injury, the results can be devastating. Depending on the specific damage, a rider can suffer partial or complete paralysis.
- Rider’s arm. A common injury in motorcycle riders, this is when nerve damage occurs in the upper arm as a result of the bike falling on the rider.
- Chest injuries. If a rider’s chest is crushed in an accident, vital organs like the heart and lungs are at risk. Injuries to the chest can easily be life-threatening.
- Road rash. Perhaps the most well-known motorcycle injury, this is when a rider slides along a road or gravel surface, scraping off skin. Infection is very common with road rash.
- Death. In the worst of scenarios, a rider can be killed as a result of their injuries. And when a fatal motorcycle accident happens, Hupy & Abraham is there to represent the surviving family.
What to Do After a Davenport Motorcycle Accident
Most people have never dealt with a bike accident before, so it’s understandable if you don’t know what to do. But you should be aware of the proper steps to take, because it can affect not only your physical recovery, but also your financial compensation.
At the accident scene, your first step should be to call the police. There’s a chance you’ll need a police report later on. Once authorities are notified, gather evidence. Take photos of the scene, being sure to capture damaged property and vehicles, signs, and skid marks. Get the other driver’s license and license plate number, along with their insurance information and their phone number.
Even if you feel fine, seek medical attention. According to our motorcycle accident attorney in Davenport, a lot of injuries don’t manifest until weeks later, meaning it’s important to get checked out early on.
What Compensation Can a Davenport Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help You Collect
Of course, money isn’t the first thing on your mind after a traumatic accident. But there’s nothing wrong with fighting for fair compensation. In Davenport, you can be compensated for several different areas after a wreck.
- Medical care. Starting with the day of your accident, you’ll likely have medical expenses tied to your crash. And these expenses may last the rest of your life. But no matter if it’s surgery, a hospital stay, medication, therapy, doctor’s appointments, or something else, your medical costs may be covered.
- Lost wages at work. If you miss time at work because of your accident, you may be eligible to receive the missing pay and benefits as part of your recovery. This even applies to self-employed people.
- Physical pain. Beyond having your medical bills covered, you can potentially receive compensation to cover the physical pain you have to endure.
- Mental suffering. Depending on your accident, you may have mental scars that last well beyond your physical scars. Compensation isn’t just limited to the pain in your body, but can cover mental anguish as well.
- Out-of-pocket expenses. If you incur any out-of-pocket costs related to your accident like towing and storage for your bike, an unexpected hotel stay, or childcare expenses because you couldn’t get home, those expenses may potentially may be able to be recovered.
7 Reasons to Hire a Davenport Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcycle accidents aren’t just dangerous; they’re costly. The days after an accident can be a blur of doctor visits and insurance claims, but they can also be a time of worry. How are you going to pay your medical bills? How are you going to handle missed time at work?
Fortunately, you don’t have to navigate this process alone. If you’ve been injured in a bike wreck in Iowa, it’s important to call our Davenport motorcycle accident lawyer as quickly as possible.
#1. To Handle Bias Against Bikers
From James Dean to Fonzie to a rough gang of bikers at a dive bar, the media has often depicted motorcycle riders as rebels and troublemakers. Even though most riders are far from that image, it doesn’t prevent prejudice from being involved and blame from being placed where it shouldn’t.
From the first officers on the scene to the insurance company to a judge, it’s important to know where this bias might pop up. That’s why you need not just a lawyer, but one that’s a rider, so they know where to look.
#2. To Gather Evidence and Determine Liability
One of the first things police on the scene of an accident will do is gather evidence to determine who was at fault. Insurance companies need this information to determine which company pays, but a lawyer can use this information as well because fault isn’t always as clear-cut as it seems. Our Davenport motorcycle accident lawyer knows their way around motorcycle culture will know what factors to research.
How a Lawyer Can Use Evidence to Determine Fault
- Analyzing photographs of the accident scene
- Investigating the police report for errors
- Talking to witnesses
- Examining the rider’s gear and bike
- Obtaining traffic camera footage or security footage from nearby businesses
#3. To Value Your Damages
Most people are aware that the other driver’s insurance will cover their medical bills if the accident wasn’t their fault. But that’s just the beginning of potential damages that can be recovered.
In Davenport, if someone’s negligence caused a wreck that injured you, you could receive compensation for your medical bills, the time you miss from work while you recover, the time you will miss from work if your injuries are debilitating, emotional suffering, and more.
If you handle your case on your own, you could miss out on most of the compensation you’re entitled to. That’s why it’s crucial to have a knowledgeable bike wreck lawyer fighting for you.
#4. To Deal With Insurance Adjusters
If there’s one thing insurance companies have a reputation for, it’s trying to cover as little as possible. Most people don’t have experience negotiating with an insurance company, so if you want to make sure you get fair compensation, you need someone who has done this before.
At Hupy and Abraham, our motorcycle crash attorneys in Davenport have built a reputation for being tough negotiators. Insurance companies know our name and know that we mean business, making them more likely to offer a fair settlement from the start.
#5. To File Your Case on Time
In the state of Iowa, riders have a limited time to file a case after a motorcycle accident—two years from the date of the incident to be exact. If you attempt to file a case after that point, the court won’t even hear it. That’s why it’s important to have a lawyer who is experienced with Iowa law and who won’t let you miss important deadlines.
#6. To Represent You in Court
There may be times when an insurance company isn’t willing to budge and offer fair compensation or when blame is being unfairly placed on a motorcycle rider. In those times, you don’t want to represent yourself. When you’re dealing with the court system, experience has a tremendous effect on the outcome of your case. That’s why you want a motorcycle accident lawyer in Davenport that has dealt specifically with motorcycle accidents before.
#7. To Answer Your Questions
The days after a motorcycle accident can be scary and confusing, and you may not even know what your next step should be. But if you trust our Davenport motorcycle accident attorney with your case, you’ll have someone guiding you through the whole process instead of getting overwhelmed and making a mistake.
How to Find the Best Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Davenport
When looking for the best motorcycle accident lawyer in Davenport, you should follow similar steps you would use when looking for any other type of professional out there.
- Experience, experience, experience. The same way you wouldn’t hire a HVAC technician to do your landscaping, you wouldn’t hire a family law attorney to handle your personal injury case. Not only should you read up on the attorney’s credentials, but you should ask lots of questions during your free consultation, as not all personal injury attorneys are created equal. One attorney may have tons of experience with slip and fall accidents, while another has tons of experience in truck crashes, or vice versa. At Hupy and Abraham, when it comes to motorcycle accidents, there is no law firm in the Midwest with more experience. We’ve secured tens of millions of dollars for more than 4,000 injured bike riders.
- Communication is key. While there are plenty of good bike wreck lawyers out there, feeling at ease with the lawyer representing you can go a long way. You want to choose a firm that you feel is truly invested in getting you the best result possible. If you feel that your attorney isn’t being upfront with you or is not communicating in a manner that you think is responsible, then you may have to go in a different direction and find someone who will.
- Read and watch testimonials. Online testimonials (like the one below) and reviews on Google, Yelp, Avvo and other similar aggregate sites are a great way to find out what how past client’s experiences with the firm were. If a law firm has lots of 4-and-5-star reviews, that’s generally a good sign that people are happy with the attorneys that represented them.
Why Hire a Davenport Bike Crash Lawyer From Hupy & Abraham
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident in Davenport or the surrounding area, let Hupy and Abraham fight for you. The days after an accident can be confusing and stressful, but we have more than 200 years of combined experience with cases just like this.
We’re one of the top motorcycle litigation firms in America, and we’ve collected tens of millions of dollars for injured clients. Insurance companies know us, and they know that we mean business, meaning they’re much more likely to offer a fair settlement.
Let our Davenport motorcycle accident lawyer help fight for your justice. Call us today at 1-800-800-5678 or use our online contact form to have one of our attorneys evaluate your situation.