If you have been injured in a crash with a semi or 18-wheeler, you should seek immediate medical assistance for any injuries you suffered, then seek the advice of our experienced Des Moines truck accident lawyer.
Below, our truck accident attorney in Des Moines explains the importance of using us to guide you through the legal process of a collision case.
What Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
It can be difficult and overwhelming to know what to do after you or a loved one has been in an accident involving a truck. Not only could you be injured physically, but you may also suffer emotional pain. Injuries from a truck crash can be serious, leave you out of work, and cause financial hardship. You may have questions after the accident and not know where to turn. A truck accident lawyer can help you through this difficult time and show you how to navigate through the complicated legal process.
In addition, a truck accident attorney can do the following:
- Determine if you have a case and a right to pursue a lawsuit. If you do, they can help put a value on your claim.
- Make sure all deadlines are properly met.
- Identify all possible parties who can be held liable for your injuries or loss and prove that they are responsible for the accident and your injuries.
- Investigate the accident and collect and preserve the necessary evidence for your case, including testimony from witnesses, photos or videos from the scene, police reports, and more.
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to reach a fair settlement.
- If the insurance company does not settle, an attorney can represent you in court if the case goes to trial.
How Much Does Our Des Moines Truck Accident Lawyer Cost?
After a collision with a semi or 18-wheeler, many people do not realize that they can pursue a lawsuit by hiring a truck accident lawyer without paying any upfront fees. Many attorneys work on a contingency, meaning they do not get paid unless they win your case.
A contingency fee is a percentage of the settlement you receive for your case. Before hiring a lawyer for your truck crash case, you will need to discuss and agree to a certain amount.
The amount paid to your lawyer may vary depending on the complexity of your case and the risks involved. In general, a lower contingency fee will be charged for a case that is less complex and more likely to result in a recovery. Since the contingency fee is based on your settlement amount, a truck accident lawyer will want to work hard to get you the compensation you deserve so they can get paid as well.
An attorney will only take a case they think can have a winning outcome. Having an experienced attorney on your side may mean that you have a more significant financial recovery than if you tried to settle the case on your own.
At Hupy and Abraham, we take on insurance companies big and small—and they know that we mean business. Our fee is contingent and comes with no risk since we only get paid if we win. We have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
How a Truck Accident Attorney is Different Than a Car Accident Lawyer
Since truck collisions and car accidents are very different, you will want to look for an injury attorney who has experience in truck accident cases. Unlike in a car accident where the responsibility is placed on the driver, in a truck accident, there can be multiple parties held responsible. This can make it challenging and often confusing. An experienced truck accident lawyer understands the complexities involved with a truck accident and can prove liability to get you a fair recovery. Not only could the driver be held liable, but there could be multiple parties that can be held liable as well, including the following:
- Trucking company
- Company responsible for loading cargo onto the truck
- Manufacturer of the truck
- Person or company responsible for service and maintenance of the truck
The injuries that result from a truck crashes can also be more severe than those suffered in a car accident due to the massive size and weight of the truck and the type of cargo it is carrying. Some injuries are even fatal. An experienced truck accident lawyer understands the laws that govern the trucking business and the type of damages you may be awarded as a result of the accident.
How to Choose the Best Truck Accident Lawyer in Des Moines
Choosing the right truck accident lawyer for your case is not always easy. When selecting a lawyer, you will want to look online at the law firm’s website for information that can be used to help make your decision. Some other factors to consider when looking for a lawyer are:
- Case results can give you examples of what settlements other truck accident clients have been awarded for their cases.
- Testimonials and Reviews from past clients can demonstrate the satisfaction others have with the lawyers for their cases.
- Awards and accolades give information on how a lawyer or law firm rates in the community and the different types of recognition they have received. Hupy and Abraham have been voted and rated the best by their clients and community.
In addition to checking out a law firm’s website, you can ask friends, family, or coworkers for referrals of lawyers they may have used in the past and been pleased with. You could also consider using a lawyer you may know personally or have used before for another legal matter.
Finally, you will want to schedule a free consultation to meet a potential lawyer. During the consultation, be sure to ask questions. The answers to your questions and your gut feeling should help you find a Des Moines truck accident lawyer that best suits your needs and makes you feel comfortable being around.
5 Reasons You Need a Truck Crash Attorney to Represent You
There are many reasons why you need a Des Moines truck accident lawyer to represent your case. An experienced truck accident lawyer can protect your legal rights and potential recovery and do the following:
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, so you do not have to settle on your own. Many insurance companies want to settle a claim as quickly as possible and offer the least amount of money.
- If the insurance company does not settle, a lawyer will represent you in court if the case goes to trial and will determine the best legal strategy to use for your case.
- Handle all legal aspects to remove additional stress from your life so you can focus on recovering from the accident and your injuries.
- If there are multi-defendants in the case, a lawyer will go up against each party, so you get the compensation you deserve. An experienced truck accident lawyer will also be able to go up against big trucking companies that have their own legal representation. If you attempt to do this yourself, the outcome may not be in your favor.
- Ensure that all required deadlines are met. Since there is a statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit, a lawyer can make sure that your lawsuit is filed in the state court within the necessary timeframe. If you miss the deadline to file, your case will be dismissed, and you will not be able to recover damages.
Questions to Ask During a Consult When Hiring a Des Moines Truck Collision Lawyer
Once you have identified potential lawyers to use for your truck crash case, it is time to set up initial consultations to meet them personally. At your initial meeting, there are several questions to ask a truck accident lawyer in Des Moines. The answers can help you decide if they are the right person to use for your case. Some questions to ask include:
- How many years have you been practicing personal injury law?
- Do you have experience in handling truck crashes cases similar to mine?
- Do you work on a contingency fee?
- What is the value of my case? What damages would I be able to recover?
- What percentage of truck collision cases are settled and what percentage do you take to court?
- What were the outcomes of your past truck accident cases?
- Who would be handling my case?
- Who would I contact if I have questions or need updates during the duration of my lawsuit?
- Are you prepared to represent me if my case goes to court?
- How long do I have to file a lawsuit?
- Do you see any challenges with my case?
In addition to asking questions, it is important to trust your gut feeling. You will want to find a lawyer that makes you comfortable talking to and that you feel that you can trust.
Hupy & Abraham Has Been Helping Truck Accident Victims Throughout the Midwest for Decades
Contact Our Des Moines Truck Accident Lawyer Now!
If you or a loved one were injured in a crash with a semi or 18-wheeler, contact our Des Moines truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Our experienced crash attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are available for a free consultation to discuss your case. To set up a confidential appointment, you can fill out our convenient contact form below or call us at 800-800-5678.