Wisconsin Victim Using the Phone to Report Police Brutality

According to the Wisconsin Department of Justice, you should first report any allegation of police misconduct to the head of the police department or the sheriff’s department that employs the officer who hurt you. Some departments have internal affairs departments that will investigate and handle allegations of excessive force or police brutality. In other cases, you may need to notify the mayor or the town manager of the municipality that employs the officer.

The Milwaukee Police Department Citizen Complaint Process

As an example, let’s consider how you would report a police brutality allegation in the City of Milwaukee. The Milwaukee Police Department states that “As a citizen, if you believe you have been mistreated or have not received adequate service, you have a moral and legal right to express dissatisfaction with your police department.” This includes allegations of police brutality. If you file a complaint, it is a good idea to do it in writing and to include:

  • Your personal information including your name, birthdate, address, and phone number.
  • The date, time, and place of the incident.
  • A description of what occurred.
  • The names of all parties involved and any witnesses.
  • Any records, photographs, or other evidence that you may have.

You may write your own report or you can download the Citizen Complaint Form and return it to any Milwaukee Police Department district station or mail it to:

Milwaukee Police Department
Internal Affairs Division
6680 North Teutonia Avenue Room 325
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53209

You can file your complaint by:

  • Going to a police station.
  • Scheduling a meeting with a department supervisor.
  • Reporting it to the Internal Affairs Division.
  • Reporting it to the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission.

You may also file a complaint with the United States Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.

Don’t Forget to Protect Your Rights by Contacting a Police Brutality Lawyer   

An attorney can help you not only with filing a complaint with the right local, state, or federal agencies but an attorney can also represent you in court and fight for your fair recovery of damages. To learn more about your rights and about how to protect them, please contact our experienced police brutality lawyers at any time to schedule a free and confidential consultation.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.