Here’s what you know so far: someone else’s dog bit you and you’ve been hurt. What you don’t know yet is how you are going to recover for your injuries. A full recovery is going to require you to take action to protect your legal rights, but before you do that it is important to know some important tips for protecting those rights.
Important Tips for Illinois Dog Bite Victims
As you begin the legal recovery process, you should know:
- About the Illinois Animal Control Act. The Illinois Animal Control Act allows people who have been injured by dogs to recover fair damages. You may recover from the owner of the dog, the person who had custody of the dog, or the property owner in some situations. However, in order to recover damages you must have been lawfully on the property, acting peacefully, and not provoking the animal that bit you.
- How insurance works. In some cases homeowner’s insurance, renter’s insurance, or other property insurance may apply to your case and you may be able to recover the damages that you deserve from an insurance company rather than an individual or business. However, a fair settlement will require evidence and skilled negotiation.
- How to report the bite. It is important to report your recovery to the county animal control administrator, to your doctor, and to your lawyer. All three calls can make an important difference in your recovery.
- What you can do to protect your recovery. Staying calm, reporting the accident, getting prompt medical help and taking other specific actions can help you protect your legal recovery.
- What actions can hurt your recovery. If you fail to preserve evidence, fail to follow your doctor’s orders, or make other mistakes then you could hurt your own recovery.
Your time to take action is limited.
Take Action Before It’s Too Late
Contact an experienced dog bite lawyer today and use the tips above to make a full and fair recovery for the injuries that you suffered because of someone else’s dog. To learn more, call us at 1-800-800-5678 or start a live chat with us anytime.