A canine attack can cause serious injuries that result in medical treatment and ongoing care. Not only is there pain, but emotional suffering as well. If a negligent dog owner was responsible for your injury, it is important to hire an experienced and proven Gurnee dog bite lawyer who can help guide you through the legal process so your rights stay protected and you get the compensation you deserve.
What Kind of Lawyer Do I Need for a Dog Bite Injury Lawsuit?
According to Illinois law, victims of dog bites are able to recover damages from anyone who owns or keeps the dog that caused their injury. While the law is in place to protect dog bite victims, it is not always simple to enforce or pursue a lawsuit against the negligent owner. That is why you need a lawyer experienced in dog bite cases. Any lawyer who practices personal injury law can represent a dog bite client, but that does not mean they can win your case. Hiring a lawyer who knows Illinois dog bite law and understands the value of a dog bite case is essential for a winning outcome.
An experienced dog bite lawyer in Gurnee, IL, will do the following to help your case:
- Explain the legal process and answer any questions.
- Help you understand what steps you need to take to file a claim.
- Can calculate the value of your case and will determine what type of damages you are entitled to receive for your dog bite injury.
Do I Need an Attorney That Specializes in Canine Attacks?
If you suffered a dog bite injury, you are not required to use a lawyer with experience in dog bites to file your lawsuit, but you may want to. While any licensed Illinois lawyer can represent your Gurnee dog bite case, hiring a lawyer who is experienced in dog bite cases and has successfully handled similar cases can be beneficial.
When you hire an experienced dog bite lawyer in Gurnee, they will understand Illinois dog bite law and how it relates to your specific case. You may not have the time or resources to understand your rights and the type of compensation you can pursue. Other reasons to use an experienced dog bite lawyer are:
- Negotiate with insurers. The insurance company may offer you a settlement for less than what you deserve. An experienced lawyer will know what your case is worth and be ready to negotiate with the insurance company to get you the full compensation you are entitled to.
- Advocate on your behalf. A dog bite lawyer will be your personal advocate. You will not have to fight alone when you have an experienced lawyer on your side.
- Experience in court. If an insurer is unwilling to settle your case for what it is worth, a dog bite lawyer will bring your case to court and fight to get you a positive result.
How Can I Choose the Right Gurnee Dog Bite Lawyer?
After an animal attack, finding a lawyer to represent your case can be overwhelming. There are many approaches to take that can help you choose the right attorney for your specific claim. To begin your search, you may want to ask family or friends for referrals of lawyers they have used in the past or consider using a lawyer you already know.
You can also look online for a Gurnee dog bite attorney and narrow down your choices by considering the following:
- Whether the lawyer has experience in dog bite cases.
- What type of payment arrangement is available—at Hupy and Abraham, we offer our clients a Win or It’s Free Guarantee!
- What types of awards and accolades that a lawyer has received from their local community to get insight into how they are rated and regarded by others.
- What the case results show to see what other dog bite victims have been awarded for their claims.
- Past client testimonials on the firm's website show proof of how satisfied they have been with the firm and the lawyers. You can also watch video testimonials like the one below or visit their Google My Business profile to find all the reviews you need.
Once you narrow down your options, you will want to meet with each lawyer personally. Most lawyers offer a free consultation to discuss your case. At the initial consultation, you will want to ask questions since the answers will help you make a final decision. You will want a lawyer who is honest and easy to talk to.
What Percent Does a Lawyer Make in a Dog Bite Case?
If you were injured in an animal attack, your medical bills might be adding up. This may make hiring a lawyer seem like something you can’t afford. But that is not the case. We have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee at Hupy and Abraham. We believe that every one of our clients has a right to legal services and should be given the opportunity to pursue a full and fair legal recovery. We work on a contingency fee, meaning there is no upfront payment, and we only collect a fee if we win your case.
A Gurnee dog bite lawyer that offers a contingency fee will be paid a certain percentage of the settlement you receive. This percentage is not paid until your case is settled. The percentage will be discussed between you and your lawyer. Once you agree to a specific percentage, an agreement will be signed. There may also be other costs involved with your case, such as filing fees, copies, the cost of medical records, and more.
It is essential to understand what fees and costs you will be required to pay once your case is closed. If you have questions or concerns, ask your lawyer, who can explain them in more detail.
What Will a Gurnee Dog Bite Attorney Do to Prove My Claim?
To be able to pursue compensation and recover damages, you will need to prove that the owner or keeper of the dog that bit you and caused the injury was negligent in their actions. An experienced dog bite attorney in Gurnee understands the law regarding dog bites in Illinois and what is required to prove your case. In Illinois, the law places responsibility on the owner or keeper of the dog and holds them liable for any injuries caused by the dog while under their care.
In order to prove your case and to hold the owner or keeper of the dog responsible, a lawyer will do the following:
- Investigate the attack. Dog bite cases can be complicated. A dog bite lawyer will investigate all aspects of the attack to determine what happened and who is to be held responsible. If you acted responsibly, had a legal right to be on the premises, and did not do anything to provoke the attack, you are entitled to recover damages for your injury.
- Gather and protect evidence. A lawyer knows how to collect necessary evidence and keep it protected so that it isn’t lost. Evidence such as photographs of the animal that bit you and your injury, video of the attack, medical records, and eyewitness accounts of the dog attack are all important elements that can be used to prove liability.
- Secure witness testimony. An experienced lawyer will secure testimony from those who witnessed the animal attack and dog or medical experts can testify about the incident, the extent of your injuries, and how the attack has affected your life.
- Be prepared for negotiations. A dog bite lawyer will be ready to negotiate with insurers on your behalf. The team at Hupy and Abraham understands what type of recovery you deserve and will fight to ensure you get a full and fair settlement. Once you agree to a settlement, it is final, and you will not be able to pursue further damages.
Contact Our Dog Bite Lawyer in Gurnee for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one was bit by a dog in Gurnee and suffered a serious injury, contact Hupy and Abraham for a free consultation. We will go above and beyond to win your case and have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee. To set up a confidential appointment, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.