An animal attack can be a traumatic experience. It can leave physical, emotional, and financial scars on victims and their families. No one should ever have to suffer the consequences of a dog bite without being properly compensated for the damage caused by someone else’s negligence. That is why it's essential to seek legal advice from an experienced Bloomington dog bite lawyer if you or a family member is the victim of a canine attack in Illinois.
Should I Get a Lawyer for a Canine Attack?
When it comes to getting the compensation you need and deserve after suffering a dog bite, having an experienced injury lawyer on your side is essential. An experienced Bloomington dog bite lawyer will have the knowledge and resources necessary to investigate the circumstances of your case, build an effective legal strategy, and negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company. They understand the complexities of dog bite cases and will fight aggressively on your behalf to get you the maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. With the help of a lawyer, you can take the necessary steps to protect yourself and your family and get back to living life without worrying about the financial burden of a dog bite.
You will want to hire an attorney as soon as possible since there is a time limit for filing a lawsuit. In Illinois, the statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit is two years from the date of the dog bite injury. This means you have two years from the date of the dog bite to file a lawsuit, and if you wait too long and do not file within this timeframe, your case will be dismissed by the court, and you will not be able to recover any damages. A animal attack attorney will ensure that your claim is filed within the time limit so you can take advantage of the opportunity to recover compensation.
What Type of Lawyer Do I Need for a Dog Bite?
After a dog bite, finding a Bloomington attorney who specializes in animal attack cases can help address your legal needs. These attorneys are knowledgeable about the laws and regulations that govern these cases, as well as the complexities presented by insurance companies. Working with a qualified dog bite attorney will give you a better chance of receiving the compensation you deserve.
An experienced attorney can help you understand your legal rights, evaluate the strength of your case, and build a solid argument to ensure that you are properly compensated for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
When selecting an attorney for a dog bite case, you will want to look for an lawyer with experience and one who has successfully handled dog bite cases in the past. Some other factors to consider are:
- Resources. Make sure your lawyer has access to experienced investigators, medical experts, and other resources necessary to mount a strong case on your behalf.
- Reputation. Investigate the lawyer’s reputation with courts and clients to get an accurate representation of their experience and skill.
- Availability. Ensure that the dog bite lawyer is available to answer your questions, attend court hearings, and work on your case promptly.
- Cost. Ask about the attorney’s fee structure to know what to expect from an economic standpoint.
- Comfort level. Talk to the attorney and make sure you feel comfortable working with them.
How to Find the Best Dog Bite Lawyer in Bloomington?
When it comes to finding an experienced attorney to handle your dog bite case, the search process can be intimidating. It’s important to do your research and make sure you hire someone who is qualified, reputable, and has the resources necessary to represent you effectively.
The following tips can help you find the right lawyer for your dog bite case:
- Research. You can begin your search for a Bloomington dog bite lawyer online. You will want to look for lawyers who specialize in personal injury cases, particularly dog bite cases. You can gain insight into what other clients have been awarded as settlements for their dog bite claims by reviewing the attorney’s case results.
- Referrals. Consider asking family or friends for referrals of lawyers they have used in the past for a similar case. You may even want to consider using a lawyer you already know or have used for another legal matter.
- Consultation. Most lawyers offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case, so there is nothing to lose. You will want to talk to several attorneys and ask about their experience, resources, and fees. You can be prepared with questions for each lawyer to help ensure that that all of your concerns are addressed and they are the right fit for your case.
- Reviews. To get an idea of how past clients feel about a certain lawyer, watch and read reviews and testimonials from past clients (like the one below) to get an honest assessment of the attorney’s reputation and experience.
When deciding on a Bloomington dog bite lawyer, you will want to make sure that the one you choose is someone you feel comfortable working with before signing any agreements. If you have any doubt at your initial meeting, the lawyer may not be the best choice for your dog bite case.
What Will a Bloomington Dog Bite Lawyer Do?
A dog bite attorney has one goal in mind: to help you get the compensation you need and deserve after being attacked or injured by another person’s pet. A qualified dog bite attorney will provide experienced legal advice throughout the entire process to ensure your rights are protected. They will also do the following:
- Gather evidence. A lawyer will collect all available evidence related to the incident, including witness statements, photos or videos from the accident scene, medical records, and police reports.
- Calculate a value for your claim. A dog bite attorney will calculate the value of your claim and determine what damages you are entitled to receive.
- Negotiate with insurance companies. An attorney will negotiate an acceptable settlement with the defendant’s insurance company on your behalf so you can avoid being pressured to settle for less than what your claim is worth.
- Represent you in court. If the case is not settled with the insurance company, a dog bite lawyer will file a lawsuit and represent you in court, if necessary.
How Much Does a Dog Bite Attorney in Bloomington Cost?
The cost of hiring a lawyer for your dog bite case will vary depending on the complexity and duration of your case. Generally, most personal injury lawyers either charge an hourly rate or work on a contingency fee, which is paid only if you win the case. The team at Hupy and Abraham works on a contingency fee, meaning there is no upfront payment, and we only collect a fee if we win your case. We offer a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
In addition to the contingency fee, you may also be responsible for covering costs associated with your case, such as court filing fees and expert witness fees. Here are some factors that could affect your dog bite lawyer’s cost:
- Experience level. Lawyers with more experience will likely charge higher rates than those who are just starting out.
- Case complexity. Complex cases may require additional time and resources, which can increase the cost.
- Number of defendants. The more defendants involved in a case, the more expensive it may be to work with a lawyer.
Only agree to an amount if you understand what fees and expenses you will be responsible for paying once your case settles. If you need clarification, ask the dog bite lawyer to explain them in more detail before signing a contract.
How Are Animal Attack Cases Different Than Other Personal Injury Cases?
Contact Our Bloomington Dog Bite Attorney for a Free Consult
If you or a loved one was a victim of a dog bite in Bloomington, IL, contact Hupy and Abraham for a free consultation. We will go above and beyond to win your case and have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee. To set up a confidential appointment, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.