Laundry is more than likely a part of every adult's daily routine. It is such an ingrained task that we often forget how easily a clothes dryer can cause a fire. In a 2017 case study from the National Fire Protection Agency, clothes dryer fires were ranked among the top causes of house fires. While it may seem like a mundane task, inspecting your dryer on a routine basis can help prevent potential fires from happening. This article will go over tips you can implement in your daily routine to make sure that you get the most out of your dryer in a safe manner.
- Use a professional to install your dryer.
- Read the manufacture's manual, along with the hazard and warning signs.
- Clean your lint filter before and after every cycle. Also clean any lint that accumulates behind the dryer, as lint will build up over time.
- Call a professional to clean and inspect the dryer if it is not performing as intended when first purchased.
- Open outside vent cover when the dryer is in use.
- Check often to make sure that no nests of small animals are blocking your vent outside.
- Keep flammable items away from the dryer area.
- Overfill your dryer.
- Avoid drying any items that have been in contact with a flammable liquid.
- Use a dryer with a damaged or loose lent filter.
- Dry anything containing materials such as foam, plastic or rubber.
- Avoid covering your wall damper. Doing this will accumulate lint over time and could clog your dryer vent.
House fires caused by home dryers surge in the winter and peak around January. It is imperative that individuals implement safety protocols when operating any dryer machine. These tips can help ensure that you get the most out of your dryer while staying safe. For more information and resources, visit Hupy.com and also visit our Facebook page!
Our personal injury law firm is the largest in the Midwest, with offices located in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. Our attorneys have secured a number of settlements in excess of a million dollars.
Contact us anytime -- 24/7/365 -- by phone or online chat to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation today.