Many parents are willing to go to great lengths to find answers to the puzzle that is autism. As there are no approved drugs to treat the condition some parents find themselves looking at alternative therapies and medicines. One group of drugs are called chelation drugs. The makers claim that the drugs can treat not only autism but cardiovascular disease, macular degeneration and Parkinson's disease. Chelation drugs are supposed to work by ridding the body of heavy metals and many companies also sell a test that they say can detect the presence of such metals in the body.
Though freedom from autism is what every parent wants, FDA compliance expert Deborah Autor fears that the companies selling the drugs and tests are preying on people who are venerable and desperate for a cure.
"These products are dangerously misleading because they are targeted to patients with serious conditions and limited treatment options," stated Autor.
The following drug companies recently received letters that warned of legal action if they continue to make claims that the FDA believes are unsubstantiated. The products they produce are also listed.
- World Health Products, LLC: Detoxamin Oral, Detoxamin Suppositories, and the Metal Detector test kit
- Hormonal Health, LLC and World Health Products, LLC: Kelatox Suppositories, and the METALDETECTOR Instant Toxic Metals Test
- Evenbetternow, LLC: Kids Chelat Heavy Metal Chelator, Bio-Chelat Heavy Metal Chelator, Behavior Balance DMG Liquid, AlkaLife Alkaline Drops, NutriBiotic Grapefruit Seed Extract, Natur-Leaf, Kids Clear Detoxifying Clay Baths, EBN Detoxifying Bentonite Clay, and the Heavy Metal Screen Test
- Maxam Nutraceutics/Maxam Laboratories: PCA-Rx, PC3x, AFX, AD-Rx, AN-Rx, Anavone, AV-Rx, BioGuard, BSAID, CF-Rx, CreOcell, Dermatotropin, Endotropin, GTF-Rx, IM-Rx, Keto-Plex, Natural Passion, NG-Rx, NX-Rx, OR-Rx, Oxy-Charge, PN-Rx, Ultra-AV, Ultra Pure Yohimbe, and the Heavy Metal Screening Test
- Cardio Renew, Inc: CardioRenew and CardioRestore
- Artery Health Institute, LLC: Advanced Formula EDTA Oral Chelation
- Longevity Plus: Beyond Chelation Improved, EndoKinase, Viral Defense, Wobenzym-N
- Dr. Rhonda Henry: Cardio Chelate (H-870)
The FDA is recommending that consumers not to use or purchase any non-prescription product, even those not on the above list. Though there are FDA-approved chelation drugs, they are only available by prescription and only approved for the treatment of lead poisoning and iron overload. Even in these limited uses the FDA urges caution as the medication carries significant risks.
While we understand a parents desire to make their child better, we are concerned that the drug companies producing such medicines are taking advantage of this desire. One child harmed by a drug made by a company who knew that they were making dangerous, unsubstantiated claims is one child too many.
If you have been harmed or made ill by a prescription or over the counter drug there may be something you can do about it. Regaining your health should be your primary concern, not fighting big pharma. Please contact your experienced Wisconsin based pharmaceutical class action attorney at Hupy & Abraham for your free consultation. Your life is waiting. Please call today. 1.800.800.5678.