Why should I file a police brutality lawsuit if there's already been a protest about what happened?

Whether you were badly hurt or your loved one was killed by the police, the community response may bring you comfort. As people take to the streets to protest what happened, you may feel heard, respected, and reassured. You may be grateful that other people took the time to raise awareness about what happened to you or your family, and you hope that the protest will prevent future incidents of police brutality in Iowa and throughout the country.

But a Protest Won't Result in Your Recovery

While protests are important, they won't result in your financial recovery. What happened to you or your loved one was wrong. Police officers do not have the right to use excessive force. It is unconstitutional and can result in significant injury or death.

However, if you were hurt or a police officer's excessive force killed your family member, then you may be able to make a financial recovery by filing a police brutality claim. Your recovery may include compensation for:

  • Medical expenses including past and future hospitalizations, surgeries, medications, doctors' visits, physical therapy, psychological counseling, and other healthcare costs
  • Lost income that you cannot earn because of your injuries
  • Physical pain and emotional suffering caused by your injuries
  • Punitive damages to punish the police for using excessive force

To get this recovery, you may need to fight for it by hiring an experienced police brutality lawyer to help you.

Your lawsuit is important to your family's financial future, and it may also prevent future incidents of police brutality. Municipalities don't want to pay police brutality claims or have the bad press that comes from police brutality protests. Accordingly, the protests and your lawsuit could encourage additional training and supervision that protects other people from excessive police force.

Before you file a police brutality case, we encourage you to contact our police brutality law firm to learn whether you may have a claim, how a case works, and what your potential recovery may include. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation by phone, online, or in our Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, or Davenport office.


Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.