From time to time, most of us need to rent a car. Maybe your car was in the shop, or you were visiting Illinois for work or pleasure, and you needed a rental car to get around. Now, you’ve been in an accident, and you may be overwhelmed about taking the next steps.
Things to Do Soon After a Rental Car Collision
Many of the steps you should take after a rental car crash are the same as the steps you would take after any car accident. For example, you can:
- Report the accident to the police. The police will come to the accident scene, make sure everyone who needs it gets medical attention, and investigate the accident.
- Gather evidence at the crash scene. Important evidence may include photos and witness contact information.
- Get medical help. Even if you don’t feel any pain, you should see a doctor to diagnose any injuries promptly.
- Report the crash to the other driver’s insurer. When you make the call, simply report the accident. Do not talk about the cause of the crash.
Since the accident was in a rental car, you should also:
- Report the accident to the rental car company. The rental car company should provide you with the next steps to take.
- Look at your own car insurance policy. It may cover some of your accident expenses.
- Talk to your credit card company. If you paid for your rental car with a credit card, then the credit card company may offer some insurance coverage.
Additionally, you should speak with a local Illinois car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Let Our Illinois Car Accident Lawyers Guide You
Whether you live nearby or you were visiting the Prairie State at the time of the crash, our experienced Illinois car accident attorneys are always here to help you. We will find out exactly what caused your collision and help you protect your fair legal recovery for past and future medical expenses, lost income, out-of-pocket costs, physical pain, and emotional suffering. Call us or chat with us now to learn more.