You may be able to recover for your lost income after a dog bite or other dog-related injury. However, in order to recover lost income in Iowa you are going to have to convince an insurance company or a court that:
- Your absence from work was reasonable and necessary because of the particular injuries that you suffered from the dog bite or attack.
- You lost (or will lose) a specific amount of income because of your injuries.
This will require evidence.
What Kind of Evidence Will You Need?
You will evidence that includes:
- Medical records to prove the extent of your injuries.
- Your job description and duties to prove how your injuries prevent you from doing your job.
- Information about your past income to prove what you were unable to earn. This could include your tax returns and pay stubs, for example.
- Information about your likely future income to prove what you may be unable to earn in the future. This could include expert testimony.
With this evidence and any other relevant evidence, you may be able to recover fair damages for your lost income.
What Should be Included in Compensation for Lost Income?
Your compensation for lost income after a dog bite should include your past, current, and future:
- Bonuses or other incentives.
- Income from being self-employed.
Proving the value of these damages can be difficult, but it is important to do so. Otherwise, you risk losing the income. Your quality of life might suffer because someone else’s dog hurt you.
That doesn’t have to be your fate, however. Instead, you can fight for the full and fair recovery of damages from your Iowa dog bite by understanding your rights and by contacting an experienced dog bite lawyer to advocate on your behalf. For more information or to schedule a free consultation, please start a live chat with us now or call us anytime—24/7—at 1-800-800-5678.