Slip and fall injuries can happen anywhere. Being on vacation, visiting family, or traveling for business cannot protect us from injury. What should you do if you are in another state when you are seriously injured? Is it okay to hire an attorney from your home state?

There are two important factors that you will need to consider when hiring an attorney to handle your out-of-state injury claim:

  • The attorney’s area of practice: Different attorneys practice different types of law. A criminal attorney or divorce lawyer will not be able to help you get compensation for your injury. You will need to hire an attorney who practices personal injury law.
  • The states where the attorney is licensed: Every state has its own requirements for the licensing of attorneys. A Green Bay personal injury lawyer may not be licensed to practice in Iowa.

As long as your attorney is licensed in both states, you can hire a Green Bay injury attorney to handle your slip and fall. There is one good reason to do this. Hiring a lawyer near your home makes it easy to get to that attorney’s office for consultations. Traveling can be inconvenient if you’ve sustained a serious injury.

However, you will want to make sure that the attorney you have hired not just licensed, but has experience handling personal injury claims in the state where you were injured. Each state has its own laws and nuances. A personal injury attorney will be most familiar with the laws in the state where he practices. Often the best choice is to choose a local personal injury law firm with offices in the state where you were injured.

The Green Bay personal injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are licensed to practice in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa. Contact us at 800-800-5678 to discuss your Wisconsin vacation injury claim. The initial consultation is free.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.