The weather is starting to warm and spring is just around the corner. That’s great news for motorcyclists, as riders across the country scramble to put bikes back together or bring them out of winter storage. This year is a particularly special one, as a local nonprofit organization, Hogs for Heroes, adds two lucky new riders to the road.
Hogs for Heroes is a Madison-based, nonprofit organization that gifted its first bike to a Wisconsin veteran in May 2016. Founded by a local family after they read about the therapeutic benefits of motorcycle riding for PTSD, the organization cites the purpose of their giveaways as “healing the mental and physical wounds suffered by our Wisconsin veterans during the course of active duty through the therapeutic benefits of owning and riding a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.”
Veterans interested in the program can apply (or have someone apply for them) online at www.heroesforhogswi.org, and must fit the following criteria:
- Be a Wisconsin military veteran, honorably discharged with a documented service-related injury,
- Be an established Wisconsin resident with current driver’s license and motorcycle license,
- Embody the spirit of Hogs for Heroes,
- Have a long-standing history of motorcycle enthusiasm and/or ownership, and
- Have established hardships (disability, financial, personal life stress and/or other reason) that would benefit from the ownership of a bike.
Recipients are selected and presented a bike once enough money has been raised through donations, once in spring and once in fall. Donations are raised through a variety of efforts, including direct contributions to the website and third-party contributors like businesses, clubs and sponsored rides.
At Hupy and Abraham, we strongly believe in supporting the riding community, whether it’s through donations, event support or providing free “Watch For Motorcycles” stickers to everyone that’s passionate about motorcycles. Check in regularly for updates on this giveaway and to stay informed about all the great local events in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa!
Image Source: http://www.hogsforheroeswi.org/
Written by Melissa Juranitch