You were not involved in an ordinary motorcycle crash. Once the chaos of the collision settled, you realized that the other driver had fled the scene of the accident. You were left alone to deal with the police and your immediate medical needs.
First Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Hit and Run
The steps that you take at the scene of a motorcycle hit and run accident are the same steps that you should take after any motorcycle crash in Iowa. Specifically, you should:
- Call the police. Call 911 so that police and emergency first responders can respond to the accident scene. The police will investigate the cause of your crash, look for clues about the identity of the other driver, keep you safe while the accident is investigated, and make sure that you get the necessary medical care.
- Accept medical care. Let emergency medical technicians assess you at the scene and bring you to the hospital so that you can get the necessary medical care to treat your pain, to prevent your injuries from worsening, and to begin the healing process.
- Take photographs. If you are physically able to do so and if your cell phone still works, take pictures of your bike, injuries, and the area at the accident scene. These photos could be useful evidence later.
- Gather witnesses. Again, if you are physically able to do so, then it is important to write down the names and contact information for anyone who witnessed the crash.
Do not try to find the other driver on your own. It could be dangerous. Instead, make sure you take the steps described above and prepare yourself for what comes next.
Next Steps in a Motorcycle Hit and Run Case
Once the scene of the crash is cleared, and your immediate medical needs are taken care of, then it is time to take the next steps in your hit and run case.
Contact Your Insurance Company
If the police were unable to locate the other driver and you have uninsured motorist coverage, then you may pursue a recovery from your own insurance company. As an Iowa driver, uninsured motorist coverage is part of your insurance policy unless you specifically requested not to have uninsured motorist coverage.
It is your responsibility to notify the insurance company of the accident, and if you have uninsured motorist coverage, then it is your insurance company’s responsibility to pay you for your hit and run motorcycle accident injuries.
Call an Iowa Motorcycle Accident Attorney
While your insurance company may have a legal responsibility to pay your claim, your insurance company doesn’t want to do so, and it can be difficult to deal with insurance adjusters on your own. Even though you have paid your premiums to cover you in just this type of situation, the insurance company maximizes its profits by paying you as little as possible for your accident injuries. It doesn’t matter that you are the insurance company’s customer.
You don’t have to negotiate with the insurance company on your own, however. Instead, you can call an experienced Iowa motorcycle accident lawyer to handle negotiations for you and to make sure that all of your legal rights are protected.
Tips for Protecting Your Iowa Hit and Run Motorcycle Accident Recovery
From the moment of your motorcycle collision, until your case is settled or a court verdict is issued, it is important to:
- Watch what you say. Anything that you say at the accident scene, to the insurance company, or on social media following the crash could be used against you in a way that you never intended.
- Follow medical advice. Failing to follow medical advice could make your injuries worse and interfere with your legal recovery.
- Stay organized. Keep records of all of your accident-related expenses and a journal about how the accident has impacted your life.
Maybe the driver was confused, or perhaps the driver panicked when the driver left the scene of the crash. The reason is irrelevant. Iowa law requires all motorists who are involved in collisions to stop at the scene of the crash. The driver who hurt you didn’t do that and may have committed a crime. However, you can’t count on the State of Iowa to protect your motorcycle accident recovery even if the driver is charged with the crime.
Let our experienced Midwest motorcycle accident lawyers help you get the fair recovery that you deserve after a hit and run wreck. Call us or start a live chat with us now to schedule your free consultation and to learn about our Win or It’s Free Guarantee!