As a motorcyclist, there is no barrier between yourself and the world around you. For this reason, it is very important for Wisconsin motorcyclists to take every precaution to protect them in the event of an accident. One of the simplest ways to minimize injury in the event of a motorcycle accident is to wear the proper apparel. This apparel checklist highlights the importance of the following items:
- Eye protection – The proper goggles or helmet shield could not only save your eyes in the event of a crash, but could prevent one altogether by keeping your vision clear of insects, dirt, and other debris from the road.
- Jacket and pants – Leather jackets aren’t just cool-looking clothing. The tough material will protect against scrapes and abrasions caused by sliding across pavement and/or gravel.
- Gloves – Durable gloves protect riders’ hands in all weather conditions, and good gloves can make all the difference as a rider braces against a spill.
- Boots – The right boots will protect your feet, ankles, and lower legs while riding, as well as prevent injury in the event of a motorcycle crash.
- Helmet – Helmets have been proven to reduce the risk of head and neck injury in motorcycle accidents by more than 30 percent. Wisconsin law requires cyclists under age 18 to wear helmets, but it’s a good safety practice for riders of all ages.
For more information on the importance of protective motorcycle gear in preventing injury in an accident, visit the website of the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident in the state of Wisconsin, contact experienced motorcycle accident attorneys at Hupy and Abraham. Call Hupy and Abraham at to schedule a consultation and to order your FREE copy of The Ultimate Guide for Victims of Motorcycle Accidents