The danger was always there, but you thought it would never happen to you. You wouldn’t be the one to get hit by a car or truck while riding your moped. You wouldn’t be the one thrown off your moped and seriously injured. You wouldn’t have to know what to do after an accident.
Unfortunately, none of us know when an accident will occur. Therefore, all of us need to know what to do if a crash happens.
What to Do at the Scene of a Moped Accident
If you are physically able to do anything at the scene of your crash, then it is important to:
- Take as many pictures as you can. Your cell phone camera is fine for this job. Get pictures of your moped, the other driver’s vehicle, the street, street signs, weather conditions, your injuries, and anything else that looks relevant to your claim.
- Get the names, insurance information, driver’s license information, and contact information of all other drivers involved in the crash. This information will help you locate them later when it is time to seek damages for your moped accident injuries.
- Get the names and contact information for all passengers and witnesses to the crash. These people may be helpful as you try to prove the other driver’s negligence.
- Call the police. The police can investigate the accident, secure the accident scene to prevent further injuries, and make sure that you and anyone else who is hurt get medical help.
- Get medical attention. Accept the first responders’ offer of medical attention. You may have injuries that you don’t yet know about that need prompt diagnosis and treatment.
Sometimes the injuries sustained in a moped accident prevent the moped rider from doing any of these things. If you were seriously hurt, then don’t worry that any of these things could prevent your fair recovery.
What to Do in the Days After a Moped Crash
Whether or not you took action at the accident scene, there are things that you can do now as you recover from your accident, such as:
- Follow your doctors’ treatment plan. Your doctors may have specific ideas about medications, therapies, and surgeries that will help reduce your pain or improve your medical condition. Additionally, following your doctors’ orders is important to your financial recovery because the defense will be unable to argue that you made your injuries worse by going against medical advice.
- Be cautious about speaking with the insurance company. Insurance companies want to find a way to make the accident your fault so that they don’t have to pay as much in damages. Be aware of their tricks, be cautious about providing them with any information, and be sure to refer them to your attorney.
- Preserve evidence. You may not be the only with important evidence about your accident case. Other drivers and nearby businesses may also have information that would be useful to you, and you need to take action to prevent them from deleting or destroying that information.
If you are too hurt or too overwhelmed to take these actions, then you can ask a friend or relative for help.
The Most Important Thing to Do After a Moped Wreck
Above, we’ve provided a long list of things that you can do to protect your financial recovery after a moped crash injury. It is important to do as many of these things as you can. However, if you can only do one thing, then that action should be to contact an experienced Iowa personal injury lawyer.
A personal injury attorney can take over the day to day handling of your accident case for you. You won’t have to wonder if you are doing everything that you need to protect your recovery because an experienced lawyer will make sure that everything is done and will advise you on what you should or should not do at every step of the way.
If you fail to take action, then you will not recover any damages for your injuries even if another driver was at fault. Therefore, we encourage you to contact our experienced moped accident injury lawyers today. We will go above and beyond the call of duty to see that you are treated fairly and that you get the recovery that you deserve. Call us or reach out to us via this website at any time to learn more about your rights and our Win or It’s Free Guarantee!