You know how you got hurt. You know which dog bit you, you know what happened in the moments leading up the attack, and you know what injuries you have suffered.
However, your knowledge of these things is not enough to get a fair recovery in settlement negotiations or in court. Instead, you are going to have to prove what happened and the extent of your injuries.
Witnesses Can Help You Prove Your Case
Different types of witnesses can provide important evidence about the dog bite incident and your resulting injuries. Accordingly, it is important to talk to your lawyer about the following types of witnesses:
- Eyewitnesses. Anyone who saw you get bit or attacked by a dog could have important information that could help resolve your case.
- Dog experts. Vets or canine experts could provide important information about what happened and could help the insurance company or court understand why you deserve damages
- Medical experts. A doctor or medical expert can help the insurance company or court understand your injuries and the likely future impact of your injuries
- Vocational experts or economists. If you will be out of work permanently or for an extended amount of time, then this type of expert may help the insurance company or court value your future lost income and other expenses.
Not every case requires all of these different types of witnesses. However, if you do decide to use a witness, then it is important to make sure that you are using the right witness for your case.
How to Find the Right Witnesses for Your Case
After a dog bite injury, there are two important things that you can do to find the right witnesses for your case. Specifically, you can:
- Write down the contact information for any eyewitnesses. You can’t chose who saw you get bitten by a dog, but you can make sure that you have a phone number, address, and email address to reach those people later.
- Talk to a dog bite lawyer about expert witnesses. You are not expected to know a vet or canine expert, for example. However, a dog bite lawyer who has experience with dog bite litigation can find the right expert witnesses for your specific case.