Report a dog bite immediately

There are several different reports or calls that you should make if you have been hurt by a dog in Wisconsin. Each of these reports is important and will protect your potential medical or legal recovery if they are made in a timely fashion.

Specifically, as soon as you are physically able to do so, you should contact:

  • The local government animal control agency. An animal bite or scratch that breaks the skin should be reported to the appropriate municipal government agency. In Milwaukee, for example, animal bites should be reported to the Department of Neighborhood Services during regular business hours or to the Milwaukee Police Department during non-business hours. You should be prepared to give your name, address, age, phone number, and description of your injuries. Additionally, you should provide the name and address of the animal owner, if you know it, and the circumstances of the bite or attack. An inspector will be assigned to your case. Other cities and towns follow similar procedures.
  • 911. If you suffered serious injuries then you should immediately call 911 so that emergency medical services can be provided to you.
  • Your doctor. Infections and disfigurement are two serious concerns after a dog bite injury. A dog bite injury may require ongoing medical care that your primary care doctor should coordinate for you.
  • Your attorney. Your lawyer will make sure that all of your legal rights are protected, that the appropriate insurance companies are notified, that settlement talks take place as appropriate, and that you file a lawsuit within the required time limits, if necessary.

While each of these reports serves a different purpose, they all have a common goal of helping you protect your recovery. Thus, it is important to take action, or to have a trusted relative or friend take action on your behalf, as soon as possible.

For more tips and resources about protecting your dog bite recovery, please browse our website or download our free dog bite brochure.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.