If you’ve been bitten by a dog in Appleton, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The best way to make sure that you get the compensation that you deserve is by finding a qualified lawyer who specializes in dog bite cases. At Hupy and Abraham, our experienced Appleton dog bite lawyer understands just how traumatic dog bite accidents can be.
We are committed to helping you protect your rights after an animal attack and understand the complex laws that govern such incidents, and can provide knowledgeable advice on how to proceed.
What Kind of Lawyer Do I Need for a Animal Attack in Appleton?
When it comes to filing a legal claim after a dog bite accident, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer who is knowledgeable about the laws governing such claims. At Hupy and Abraham, our team has years of experience successfully litigating these types of cases and will help you recover the compensation you deserve.
An experienced attorney will have access to a wide range of resources, including experts in canine behavior and animal control law, so that they can provide comprehensive legal representation throughout the entire process.
How Are Dog Bite Cases Different Than Other Personal Injury Cases
Just as not every attorney is created equally, not all personal injury cases are the same either. In the video below, Applton dog bite attorney Jason Abraham discusses the differences between a dog bite case and other types of PI cases.
How Much Does a Dog Bite Injury Attorney Charge?
The cost of hiring an attorney depends on the complexity of your case and the lawyer’s experience. However, most dog bite injury lawyers do not charge an hourly rate. Instead, they charge a contingency fee which is a percentage of whatever damages are recovered from the liable party. This ensures you will not have to pay anything upfront or out of pocket if your case is unsuccessful. The exact percentage should be agreed to by both you and your lawyer before signing an agreement. At Hupy and Abraham, we have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee.
In addition to the contingency fee, there may also be other costs involved with your case. These costs may include filing and copying fees, the cost of obtaining medical records, and more. If you are unsure about the type of payment arrangement expected, ask your lawyer to clarify their expectations. If you ask questions about the payment arrangement upfront, you can avoid surprises later as your case settles.
How to Choose the Right Dog Bite Lawyer in Appleton?
When looking for an attorney, it’s important to find one with experience handling dog bite cases. You will want to make sure that the lawyer you choose understands local dog bite laws, as this can have an impact on whether or not you are eligible for compensation.
You may want to being your search for a dog bite lawyer in Appleton, WI, by asking for referrals from friends or family members who have had experience with similar types of issues. You may also want to consider using a lawyer you may know personally or have used for another legal matter. Researching online can help you identify possible lawyers you may want to use for your animal attack case.
When deciding which Appleton dog bite attorney is best suited for handling your case, there are several key factors that should be taken into consideration, such as the following:
- Experience. It is essential to find an attorney with experience in handling claims arising from dog bites and other animal attacks. An experienced lawyer will have the knowledge and resources needed to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Communication. Good communication is essential for any successful lawyer-client relationship. Make sure that the lawyer you choose is someone with whom you feel comfortable discussing your case.
- Professionalism. Look for a lawyer who is dedicated to protecting their clients’ rights and helping them secure the compensation they deserve. The attorney you choose should be someone who will provide professional, courteous, prompt, and efficient legal guidance throughout the process.
- Reputation. A reputable lawyer with a track record of successful outcomes for their clients will be better able to help you get the compensation you deserve. Ask potential lawyers about their case results and check out online reviews and testimonials from previous clients (like the one in the video below).
Once you have narrowed down your choices for an Appleton dog bite attorney, the next step is meeting with each lawyer in person to discuss your case. Most lawyers offer a free initial consultation so you have nothing to lose. At this initial meeting, you will want to ask questions since the answers can provide insight into how each lawyer will handle your case. The lawyer you choose for your canine bite case should be someone you trust and can talk to comfortably.
What Does an Appleton Dog Bite Attorney Look for to Prove a Claim?
When pursuing a dog bite claim, your Appleton dog bite attorney will look for evidence to prove that the animal's owner was negligent in their duty to control and protect you from harm. Some of the evidence that an attorney may look for includes:
- Medical records. Your medical records can provide valuable evidence to support your claim. These records can provide information about your injuries, the treatment you received, and any related medical expenses.
- Witness statements. Ask witnesses to the accident to write down their account of what happened as well as their contact information. Statements from those who witnessed the attack can be invaluable in helping prove negligence on the part of the dog owner or guardian.
- Incident reports. If law enforcement was called to the scene, there may be an incident report which can help strengthen your case.
- Photos. Photos of the injuries and the site of the accident can be used to support your claim.
- Liability insurance information. If available, liability insurance information can provide additional evidence as to who is liable for your injuries.
By gathering and presenting all of the necessary evidence, your attorney will be able to build a strong case for compensation on your behalf. With the right representation, you can rest assured that you are in good hands throughout the process.
Questions to Ask a Canine Attack Lawyer During a Consultation
When meeting with a dog bite lawyer for the first time, it is important to ask questions to help you understand the process and make an informed decision on who to hire. Questions to consider include:
- What experience do they have in handling this type of case? Knowing the attorney’s background and level of expertise in dog bite law will help you make an informed decision. You want to ensure the lawyer you choose has the experience to handle your type of case.
- What is their approach to handling the case? Ask how the lawyer plans to prove liability and secure compensation for your injuries.
- How much communication can you expect during the process? It is important to know how often you can expect updates on your case and how they will be delivered to you. You will also want to ask who your point of contact will be throughout the legal process.
- What is their fee structure? Knowing how fees are assessed and when they are due can help avoid any surprises or difficulties down the road.
- Do they have access to medical specialists and other experts? Access to the right resources is vital for a favorable outcome for your case.
- How long do I have to file a claim? You will want to begin the legal process as soon as possible since Wisconsin has a statute of limitations for filing a dog bite lawsuit. Your lawyer will ensure you meet this deadline since failing to do so will result in your claim being dismissed.
Being prepared with questions for your lawyer can help ensure that you and the attorney are on the same page from the very beginning and that all of your concerns are addressed.
Contact Our Appleton Dog Bite Lawyer for a Free Consult
If you suffered a dog bite in Appleton, WI, contact Hupy and Abraham for a free, no-obligation consultation. Our team of experienced dog bite attorneys have a successful track record of getting our clients the fair recovery they deserve. We will go above and beyond to win your case and have a Win or It’s Free Guarantee. To schedule an appointment, fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.