There may come a time when you are tired of the uncertainty and just want your car accident claim settled. You, understandably, want to move on with your life and put the car accident behind you.
However, there are some things you should consider before you agree to settle your car accident claim.
How to Know If It’s Time to Settle Your Car Crash Claim
Before you settle any accident claim, it is essential to understand:
- That your settlement is final. Once you sign settlement papers, you won’t recover additional compensation for your accident injuries.
- What your settlement includes. You want to make sure that your settlement includes fair compensation for all of your past, current, and future injuries, including medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost income, out-of-pocket expenses, physical pain, and emotional suffering.
- The other driver’s insurance policy limits. Insurance policy limits will let you know the maximum settlement the other driver’s insurer could offer you.
- The other driver’s financial resources. You don’t want to settle your case for less than it’s worth, but you also don’t want to waste your time going after money that isn’t there to be recovered.
- The costs and benefits of going to trial. The potential financial outcome of a trial needs to outweigh the costs of going to trial and waiting for a recovery.
- What an experienced accident lawyer thinks about the settlement. An attorney can give you an honest opinion about whether you should accept the settlement.
There is a lot to consider, and different considerations may lead you to different conclusions. Accordingly, we encourage you to discuss all of these considerations with an experienced car accident lawyer before making any decisions.
It’s Not Too Late for a Free Legal Consultation
The insurance company may be pressuring you to make a quick settlement. However, we encourage you to take your time, think about the considerations outlined above, and schedule a free consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer. Our Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin car accident attorneys have helped thousands of car accident victims recover fair damages, and insurance companies know that we mean business. Call us today to find out how we may help you recover the compensation that you deserve.