Frequently Asked Iowa Car Accident Questions

Read More +

Get Help Now

What have other people asked us about car accidents and, more importantly, how have we answered those questions? Find out here.
  • Page 3
  • I was recently hurt in an Iowa car crash. How will I ever figure out why the other driver hit me and prove that I should recover damages?

    We are sorry to hear of your recent Iowa car accident and resulting injuries. Often, injured victims who did not cause the accident don’t immediately know why the crash occurred. Instead, they just know that the accident happened, that they have been hurt, and that they need help recovering from their accident injuries.

    In order to make a fair recovery, however, you, as a car accident victim, will need to prove that the other driver was negligent and failed to exercise reasonable care while operating his vehicle. To that end, you likely need to know why your accident occurred.

    The police report completed for your accident might be a good starting place. It could, for example, note if the other driver was speeding or drunk at the time of your crash. However, you may need more information.

    An experienced Quad Cities car accident lawyer can help you get the information that you need through different discovery techniques including, but not necessarily limited to, written interrogatories and depositions. Your lawyer will do a complete investigation of your case and zealously advocate for your full and fair recovery.

    For more information, please contact a Quad Cities auto accident attorney today at 800-800-5678. Additionally, we encourage you to download a FREE copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims, from our website.

  • I know how sloppy my driving gets when I’m tired. Is fatigue a common cause of car accidents? Should I contact an Iowa personal injury lawyer if I’m hurt in a car accident?

    We all have times when we are more tired than usual, and sometimes we can see the difference in our driving or other behavior. We can assure you that you are not alone in experiencing a change in your driving abilities when you are tired.

    A recent study conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute found that fatigue may cause as many as 20 percent of all car accidents. That is significantly higher than the 2 to 3 percent of car accidents that had been estimated in previous studies. Other surprising results of the study included findings that drivers in the 18- to 20-year-old range had significantly more fatigue-related crashes than drivers in any other group, and that daytime fatigue was a bigger issue than anticipated.

    The study used a “naturalistic” approach where equipment is placed in vehicles to record the driver’s actions as they happen. Researchers report seeing signs of significant fatigue such as eye-lid closure, head bobbing, severe loss of facial musculature, and eyelids shutting and then popping back open shortly before 20 percent of crashes and 16 percent of near misses.

    Accordingly, drowsy driving is an issue that should be taken seriously. If you have been in an accident and you think that fatigue may have been a cause of your crash then it is important to share that information with an experienced Des Moines car accident lawyer.

    For more information, please call an Iowa auto accident attorney today at 515-984-0091 and please read our FREE book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims.

  • My car was totaled and I was seriously injured when a drunk driver crashed into my vehicle in Cedar Rapids. I have a pile of hospital bills and I need a new car. Who pays for accident damages in Iowa?

    Iowa, like most states, uses the “fault” system when determining liability for a car accident. The driver who is considered legally at fault for an accident is liable for the resulting injuries and any property damage. Their insurance company must pay the accident damages.

    To file an Iowa auto accident claim, you may do any of the following:

    • File an accident claim with your own insurance company.
    • File an accident claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.
    • File an Iowa injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver.
    • Contact a Cedar Rapids car accident lawyer.

    “Fault-based liability” doesn’t mean that you automatically get compensation just because the other driver was impaired. In order to recover insurance compensation for your injuries and property damage, you must show that you have monetary damages from the accident. You must also prove to the insurance company that the other driver caused the crash—and that you did not cause the accident. If the insurance company believes that you were partly at fault, they will assign you a percentage of the blame. Your settlement will be reduced by that amount.

    A Cedar Rapids car accident attorney can help you prove fault, document your injuries and determine the value of your claim. To learn more about how an Iowa personal injury lawyer can help you protect your accident claim, request a free copy of The Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims or contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.

  • I don’t agree with the police report issued after my recent Des Moines auto accident. Is that the final word that the insurance adjuster will use to offer me a settlement? How can I find out what really happened and make sure that my rights are protected?

    It can be discouraging and frustrating to read a police report that you believe to be inaccurate. You may feel that a significant injustice has been done and that your possible legal recovery may be in jeopardy.

    Our Des Moines car accident lawyers understand your feelings, but we want you to know that the police report is only one part of your case. There are times when the police have limited information at the scene of the crash and simply come to the wrong conclusions. Later, when Des Moines car accident attorneys conduct legal discovery and delve further into the evidence different conclusions may be reached that may persuade insurance adjusters or juries to provide you with the settlement that you deserve.

    Thus, you should get a copy of the police report and read it, but you should not take it as the final word about what happened in your crash. Instead, you should contact an experienced accident lawyer in Des Moines for more information about your rights and possible recovery. Our experienced attorneys welcome your inquiry today via this website or by calling 1-800-800-5678. We also invite you to read our FREE book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims to learn more.