Frequently Asked Iowa Car Accident Questions

Read More +

Get Help Now

What have other people asked us about car accidents and, more importantly, how have we answered those questions? Find out here.
  • Page 2
  • I just spent a week in an Iowa hospital after a car crash. What should I do now?

    Congratulations on making it this far. The pain that you had to endure and the work that you had to do in the hospital was hard, and now your doctors believe that you can continue your car accident recovery at home. That is reason to celebrate.

    But It Is Not a Reason to Stop Fighting

    After you enjoy a good night’s sleep in your own bed and eat a meal that doesn’t come from the hospital’s kitchen, it is important to continue concentrating both on your physical and financial recoveries. Whether your crash was caused by a distracted driver on I-380, a drowsy driver on Iowa-100, or an otherwise negligent driver on another Cedar Rapids road, you will have to take certain actions to protect your fair recovery.

    Specifically, you will need to:

    • File a case before your time to do so expires.
    • Gather evidence to support your claim.
    • Negotiate a settlement or go to trial.

    The failure to do any of these things may mean that you don’t recover damages for your medical expenses, lost income, out-of-pocket costs, pain, suffering and other accident related damages.

    Get Help Today

    Just because you are home from the hospital does not mean that you are fully recovered or that you don’t need help. At this stage in your recovery it is important to continue working with your doctors and rehabilitation therapists. You may also benefit from contacting an experienced lawyer to schedule a free consultation. You can do that right now by filling out our online contact form.

  • Does the state of Iowa know that the intersection where my accident occurred is dangerous?

    You may not have been the first one hurt at the Des Moines intersection where your recent car crash occurred, and the state of Iowa may know that. The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) has a list of intersections located throughout the state that are in need of safety improvements. The number of accidents that occurred at specific intersections is one factor that the state uses to determine that an intersection is dangerous.

    More Than 16 Des Moines Intersections Are on the List

    According to the Iowa DOT, the following Des Moines intersections could use safety improvements:

    • US-69/SE 14th Street and Maury Street
    • I-235 and School Street and MLK JR Parkway
    • University Avenue and 6th Avenue
    • IA-63/East University Avenue and East 30th Street
    • US-6/Frederick M Hubbell Avenue and East Douglas Avenue
    • IA-28/63rd Street and University Avenue
    • US-6/ East Euclid Avenue and US-69/East 14th Street
    • US-69/SE 14th Street and East Park Avenue
    • Day Street and 6th Avenue
    • I-235 and US-69/East 15th Street/Johnson Court and Maple Street
    • I-235 and School Street and 7th Street
    • US-6/ E Euclid Avenue and Cornell Street
    • Park Avenue and Fleur Dr.
    • US-69/East 14th Street and Thompson Avenue
    • I-235 and School Street and 3rd Street
    • US-69/SE 14th Street and East Indianola Avenue

    These were the 16 intersections with the highest priority for safety improvements in Des Moines. However, many other Des Moines intersections were also on the full list, which you can view here. Whether you have been hurt at one of these intersections or at another, your rights are the same.

    Learn How to Protect Those Rights

    If someone else’s negligence caused your accident injuries at a Des Moines intersection then please download a free copy of our book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims, and please start an online chat with us now to get your specific questions answered.

  • I’m taking a road trip to the Quad Cities area this summer and I’m pregnant. What should I do if I’m hurt in a car crash that is far away from my home and my doctor?

    If you are expecting a baby later this year, then the summer may be a wonderful time to take a road trip with your family or friends. However, it is normal to feel a little anxious about being far away from your doctors and your question seems to indicate that you are planning ahead just in case there is a car crash on Interstate 80, Interstate 74, or Interstate 280 in the Quad Cities area of Iowa or Illinois.

    You Are Already Being a Good Mom

    Planning ahead and staying one step in front of any possible catastrophe is a useful parenting skill. Accordingly, you are asking the right question. If you are hurt in a Quad Cities area crash, or any other accident that is far from your home, then you may want to:

    • Make sure that first responders know that you are pregnant and how far along you are in your pregnancy.
    • Get medical help at the closest hospital.
    • Be in touch with your regular doctor or midwife.
    • Call a relative or friend to be with you during this difficult time.

    You can’t live in a bubble during pregnancy and you can’t avoid all risks. However, if you know what to do if you are hurt, then an accident can be a little less frightening. For more information about what to do if you’re in a crash during your pregnancy please download a FREE copy of our Accident Assistance Guide to keep in your glove box. It may be of assistance to you on a road trip or close to home.

  • Who pays for my car accident injuries if the other driver was on a work call at the time of the accident?

    If you’ve been hurt by a distracted driver then you have a right to know how you will be compensated for your injuries. You were doing your part to drive safely, but another driver was not and may have been following you too closely or may have veered into your lane causing your Iowa accident injuries.

    Who’s Responsible for the Accident?

    After the collision, or through an investigation, you may have learned that the driver was talking on the cell phone or answering a text for work. Now, you raise a good question about liability in Iowa. If the driver was “on the job” and the employer required or encouraged employees to use cell phones for business while driving then you may have a case against the employer as well as the driver.

    How to Know for Sure

    An experienced lawyer can conduct an investigation, advise you as to whether the driver, the driver’s employer, or both parties are responsible for your injuries, and advocate for your full and fair recovery from the responsible party or parties.

    To find out more about how to recover from distracted driving accident injuries after an I-235 crash, please read our FREE book The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims and please follow us on Twitter or Facebook to stay up to date on important information for Iowa personal injury victims.

  • What can I do to prevent vehicle fires?

    Vehicle fires account for 20 percent of serious fires. Few of the 260,000 car fires that occur each year are due to accidents. The rest are caused by faulty car parts, wiring problems, or inadequate maintenance.

    The best way to prevent automobile fires is to take good care of your vehicle. These tips from the auto accident attorneys at Hupy and Abraham can help.

    • Pay attention to your car. Burning smells, blown fuses, and lighting or door issues can be signs of an electrical problem or a faulty part. Don’t ignore these problems.
    • Get your fuel line checked during your car’s routine maintenance appointment. Fuel o-rings should be replaced about every 60,000 miles.
    • Maintain your battery. Defective batteries are a leading cause of car fires.
    • Get any oil leaks repaired right away.
    • Use a funnel when adding oil to your car. Any splashed oil can ignite if the car becomes hot.
    • When a mechanic or gas station attendant replaces your oil, double check that the cap is secure.
    • If your car overheats, pull over and let it cool down.
    • Keep your vehicle clear of clutter that can cause a fire to spread.

    If you have been injured in a car fire caused by an accident, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. To learn more about Iowa accident claims, please contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.

  • I am very concerned about my child’s safety in an Iowa car accident. I just bought a new car seat and I’d like to have someone check that it is installed correctly. Where can I find a car seat inspection station?

    More than 80 percent of car seats are not properly installed. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration lists 36 car eat inspection stations. Parents can bring their car seats to these stations to have the car installation checked or to have a seat installed. Use this list to find an Iowa car seat inspection station near you.

    • Albia: Monroe County Hospital, 6580 165th Street, Albia, IA 52531. Call 641-932-1688 for appointment.
    • Allison: Butler County Public Health Department, 428 6th Street, Allison, IA 50602. Call 319-267-2934 for appointment.
    • Ames: Ames Police Department, 515 Clark Avenue, Ames, IA 50010. Call Tom Shelton at 515-239-5133.
    • Atlantic: Cass County Memorial Hospital, 1500 E. 10th Street, Atlantic, IA 50022. Please call 712-243-8006 x 3359 for appointment.
    • Bedford: Taylor County Public Health Department, 405 Jefferson Street, Bedford, IA 50833. Please call 712-523-3405 for appointment
    • Bettendorf: AAA Bettendorf, 2900 AAA Court, Bettendorf, IA 52722. Call 563-332-7400 for an appointment.
    • Boone: Boone County Hospital, 1015 Union Street, Boone, IA 50036. Second Tuesday of the month, call 515-432-3140 for an appointment.
    • Cedar Rapids: Cedar Rapids Fire Department, 713 1st Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401. Call 319-286-5166 to schedule.
    • Chariton: Lucas County Health Center, 1200 N. 7th Street, Chariton, IA 50049. Call 641-774-3232 for hours.
    • Coralville: Coralville Police Department, 1503 5th Street, Coralville, IA 52241, Call 319-248-1800 for appointment.
    • Corning: Alegent Health Family Home Care, 703 Rosary Drive, Corning, IA 50841. Call 641-322-6385 for hours.
    • Creston: MATURA Action Corporation, 203 W. Adams Street, Creston, IA 50801. Call 641-782-8431 for details.
    • Dubuque: Dubuque Child Passenger Safety Coalition, 3450 Center Grove Drive, Dubuque, IA 52003. Inspections take place on the third Saturday of each month; please call 563-556-3281 for appointment.
    • Eldora: Greenbelt Home Care, 1506 Edgington Avenue, Eldora, IA 50627. Call 641-939-8444 for an appointment.
    • Eldridge: Medic Emergency Medical Services – Eldridge ADM Station, 100 S. 14th Avenue, Eldridge, IA 52748. Call 563-323-6806 for appointment.
    • Graettinger: Palo Alto County Ambulance Service, 401 N. Lincoln Avenue, Graettinger, IA 51342. Call 712-859-3193 for schedule.
    • Greenfield: Adair County Health System, 609 S.E. Kent Street, Greenfield, IA 50849. Call 641-743-2123 for hours.
    • Guttenberg: HAWC Partnerships for Children, 222 N. River Park Drive, Guttenberg, IA 52052. Please call 563-419-0717.
    • Hampton: Franklin County Public Health, 1341 Olive Avenue, Hampton, IA 50441. Call 641-456-5837 for an appointment.
    • Hiawatha: Safe Kids – Linn County Buick GMC Cadillac of North Cedar Rapids, 1020 N. Center Point Road, Hiawatha, IA 52233. Inspections take place on the second Thursday of each month; call 319-310-7328 for an appointment.
    • Indianola: Indianola Fire Department, 110 N. 1st Street, Indianola, IA 50125. Call 515-961-9405 for hours.
    • Indianola: Warren County Health Services, 301 N. Buxton Street, Indianola, IA 50125. Call 515-961-1074 for an appointment.
    • Iowa City: Safe Kids, Johnson County, 500 E. Market Street, Iowa City, IA 52245. Call 319-358-2767 for appointment.
    • Iowa City: Iowa City Police Department, 410 E. Washington Street, Iowa City, IA 52240. Call 319-356-5275 for appointment
    • Lake City: Stewart Memorial Community Hospital, 1301 W. Main Street, Lake City, IA 51449. Please call 712-464-3171 for appointment.
    • Knoxville: Knoxville Hospital, 1002 S. Lincoln Street, Knoxville, IA 50138. Call 614-842-1517 for an appointment.
    • Mason City: 721 S. Monroe Avenue, Mason City, IA 50401. Inspections take place on the third Saturday of the month; call 641-421-3000 for hours.
    • Monona: Northeast Iowa Community Action Early Head Start, 107 W. Center Street, Monona, IA 52159. For an appointment, please call 563-539-2502 x 104.
    • Mount Pleasant: Henry County Health Center, 401 S. White Street, Mount Pleasant, IA 52641. Call 319-385-6588 to schedule.
    • Osage: Osage Police Department, 432 Main Street, Osage, IA 50461. Call 641-732-3777 or 641-732-4483 for times.
    • Sioux City: Sioux City Fire Department, 601 Douglas Street, Sioux City, IA 51101. Call 712-279-6377 to schedule your appointment.
    • Sumner: Sumner Emergency Medical Services, 901 W. 1st Street, Sumner, IA 50674. Call 563-578-8888 to schedule an appointment.
    • Washington: Washington County Ambulance/Love Our Kids, 1120 N. 8th Avenue, Washington, IA 52353. Call 319-653-2047 for hours.
    • Waverly: Waverly Health Center, 312 9th Street SW, Waverly, IA 50677. Call 319-483-1361 for times.
    • West Burlington: Safe Kids, 200 S. Gear Avenue, West Burlington, IA 52655. Please call 319-754-5602 or 319-753-8293 for appointment
    • Urbandale: Bob Brown Chevrolet, 3600 111th St, Urbandale, IA 50322. Inspections take place on the first Thursday of every month; call 515-241-6293 for an appointment.

    A car seat check could save a child’s life. Hupy an Abraham urges you to share this information with other parents in Iowa.

  • I know that texting and driving is dangerous and may cause a Cedar Rapids car accident. But I feel obligated to check my messages even when I’m driving. If I don’t look, I can’t think of anything else. If I turn off my phone, I forget to turn it back on. How can I break the habit of texting while behind the wheel?

    Study after study has shown that drivers who text while behind the wheel are more likely to be involved in Iowa car accidents. According to a Virginia Tech Transportation Institute study, drivers who text are 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident. Although texting in Iowa is illegal, it is a secondary violation. A police officer cannot stop your vehicle because he suspects you are texting. Many Iowa drivers continue to text despite the laws and despite the risks.

    It may seem contradictory, but the key to breaking the texting habit may be your phone. There are a number of apps that are designed to prevent Iowa distracted driving accidents.

    • Drive Check your texts without looking at your phone. Drive reads text messages, SMS and emails out loud when they are received. The app is available for Blackberry, iPhone, Android, and Windows mobile devices. You can set up an auto-responder that will reply with a standard response, such as, “I’m driving now and will respond to your text when I’m off the road.” The app can be disabled when you are not driving.
    • Drive Safe Mode: Drive Safe Mode allows you to disable your phone while your vehicle is in motion. You can also use the app to disable your child’s phone, as it has options for parental controls. The app will even let you know if your child exceeds the speed limit. Plans are available for iPhone and Android devices.
    • Textecution: Textecution prevents your phone from sending and receiving texts while you drive. Passengers can text with permission.
    • TextSmart DriveSafe: TextSmart DriveSafe is an iPhone and Android app that blocks calls and texts when the phone is moving at speeds greater than one mile per hour. There is an emergency override and an auto-reply mode.
    • Drive Alive: Get rewarded for good behavior. Drive Alive doesn’t block your messages, but monitors your phone usage while driving and offers coupons or gift cards for good driving behavior. Examples include PayPal funds, Dunkin Donut gift cards, and even prepaid Visas. The app is available for both iPhone and Android devices.
    • SafeCell: Does your job involve driving? SafeCell is an AT&T service that lets employers monitor driving behavior through company phones.

    Browse our library for more information about texting and driving, including tips for talking to your teen about driver safety.

    Help our Cedar Rapids accident lawyers build awareness of the dangers of texting and driving. Request your free "DNT TXT N DRV" bumper sticker by clicking on the link below or call Hupy and Abraham at 888-807-2752.

  • I want a safe vehicle, but I can’t afford the best-rated vehicle or fancy safety features. What kind of vehicle should I choose?

    If you are concerned about safety, your best vehicle choice may be an SUV.

    Most people assume that safety ratings adequately reflect how well a car will protect its occupants in a Quad Cities car crash. This is true, but safety ratings only compare the performance of a car in a simulated accident to that of other vehicles in the same size class. A recent study found that when vehicles of different sizes collide, car crash safety ratings may not matter.

    Researchers at the University of Buffalo in New York used the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) database to study fatal head-on collisions. The study included records for 83,521 vehicles involved in head-on crashes that occurred between 2005 and 2010.

    They researchers found that car crash ratings matter most when a car hits a car of a similar size. In this case, the driver of the lower-rated vehicle’s risk of death increased by 22 percent for each difference in safety ratings. But safety ratings didn’t matter so much when a car hit a larger vehicle, especially if that vehicle was an SUV. When a car hit an SUV, the occupants of the smaller vehicle were significantly more likely to suffer fatal injuries, even if the SUV had a lower safety rating and even if the SUV and car were of similar sizes.

    According to the FARS data, when a car crashes into an SUV, the occupants of the car are seven times more likely to die than the occupants of the SUV. The occupants of the car are ten times more likely to die when the SUV has a better crash rating than the car. If the car has a higher crash rating, the occupants of the car are four times more likely to die.

    The reason is the height difference. When an SUV collides with a car, the front of the SUV rides over the front of the shorter vehicle. The can cause fatal injuries to the occupants of the car.

    High safety ratings and good driving habits are not enough to guarantee that you won’t be injured in a Quad Cities auto accident. If you or a loved one has a suffered serious injury due to a negligent driver, you need to know how to protect your case, so you can get the insurance compensation you deserve. Find out what to do next in your free copy of The Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims. To schedule a free consultation with a Quad Cities accident injury lawyer, contact Hupy and Abraham at 888-807-2752.

  • How can I help my teenager become a better driver?

    Car accidents are the leading cause of death for Iowa teens. Drivers between the age of 16 and 19 are three times more likely to die in a fatal car accident than adults. While teens face the same driving hazards as adults, they lack the experience and judgment to safely deal with these hazards. Some reasons that teens are more likely to be involved in a fatal accident are:

    • Teens have less driving experience.
    • Teens tend to underestimate dangerous situations.
    • Teens are less likely to use seat belts.

    Parents can help prevent Iowa teen driving accidents. Here are some tips from our Cedar Rapids car accident attorneys.

    • Practice driving with your child. You probably drove with your teen when she was practicing for her license. Don’t stop. Check in every once in a while to make sure that she’s practicing good driving habits.
    • Set a good example. If you tend to check your email while driving, your teen will see this as permission to do the same.
    • Have your teen earn privileges. Don’t give your child too many driving privileges at once. Let her earn new privileges by showing she is safely handling those she has already been given.
    • Talk to other parents about teen driver safety. Know their rules before you decide who your child can ride with.

    Unfortunately, even the safest teen drivers can be injured in an Iowa car accident. Don’t let your teen be blamed for an accident that she didn’t cause. Learn how to protect her rights in our free book, The Ultimate Guide For Automobile Accident Victims. To discuss your own case, contact the Cedar Rapids car crash lawyers at Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.

  • How can I get a copy of my police report after a Des Moines car accident?

    You are trying to understand what happened in your recent Des Moines car accident. You, understandably, want to know why you were hurt and you are eager to read the police report of the crash.

    People who have been involved in a Des Moines car accident have three different ways in which to get copies of their Des Moines police accident report. Specifically, you can:

    • Go to and select state of Iowa, then Des Moines Police Department and fill out the requested information. A convenience fee must be paid to access the information.
    • Go to the Des Moines Police Station located at 25 East First Street in Des Moines between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., seven days a week. The fee for obtaining a police report in this way is currently $5.
    • Mail your request to the Des Moines Police Record Section, 25 East First Street, Des Moines, IA 50309 with your $5 fee.

    It is important to remember that the police report alone does not establish liability, nor does it determine whether or not you should file a claim for your Des Moines accident injuries. Instead, it is important to talk to an experienced Des Moines car accident lawyer about your options and about the possible benefits of filing an Iowa car accident case.

    For more information, please call one of our Iowa car accident lawyers today at 515-984-0091 and please read our FREE book, The Ultimate Guide for Automobile Accident Victims.