Reporting Police Brutality to the Illinois State Police

It takes a lot of trust in the police department and a lot of personal strength to report police brutality. You are asking other law enforcement officials to investigate what happened and to report back on the potential wrongdoing by one of their own.


Reporting police brutality is, however, an important step to take. There needs to be an investigation into what happened so that the reputation and work of the majority of police officers—who are good people and who do not use excessive force—is protected.

Making a Police Brutality Report to the Illinois State Police

If an Illinois State Police Officer has used excessive force and hurt you, then you have the right to report it to the Illinois State Police, Department of Internal Investigations. You can do this by completing the Illinois State Police Complaint Against Department Member form completely and accurately. It is important to note that Illinois state law requires that you sign your complaint form and that it is notarized as a sworn affidavit before you submit it. Once this has been done, you may submit your complaint to:

Illinois State Police Division of Internal Investigation

801 South Seventh Street, Suite 100-N

Springfield, Illinois 62703

Additionally, you may be able to report your allegations of police brutality to the federal government by filing a complaint with the United States Department of Justice Civil Rights Division.

Contact an Illinois Police Brutality Lawyer Before Making a Complaint

An internal complaint may be one way to pursue justice after you’ve been hurt by a police officer’s use of excessive force. However, you may also be able to file a civil lawsuit and be able to pursue damages for the serious injuries that you’ve suffered. If you’ve been hurt by a member of the Illinois State Police or by any other law enforcement officer in the State of Illinois, then we encourage you to contact our experienced police brutality lawyers as soon as possible for a free, confidential, no-obligation consultation.

Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.