Slip and Fall Victim Wearing a Knee Brace

The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) connects the femur and tibia and is responsible for providing support to the knee joint and stabilizing movement. An ACL injury can cause a great amount of pain and suffering. This type of injury is common in a slip and fall accident where the person becomes unstable due to slippery or uneven surfaces and twists and falls on their knee, or their foot slides out from beneath them and causes the ACL to tear.

ACL injuries can be difficult to recover from and can require extensive surgery to repair the torn ligament and ongoing medical care. This can lead to financial hardship as costs add up and it is not possible to return to work. After suffering from an ACL injury due to another party’s negligence, consult with an attorney to help understand what legal rights you have and if you are able to file a claim to recover damages.

Proving Liability and Recovering Damages

Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere—from private homes to retail stores and restaurants. They can happen due to a variety of reasons, such as spills not being cleaned up properly, poorly maintained walkways, or unsecured rugs or mats. After a slip and fall accident that results in an ACL injury, it is important to get proper medical treatment and contact an attorney.

You may be contacted after the accident by insurance adjusters who want you to settle your claim quickly as possible and for less money than your case is worth. You do not have to speak or settle with an insurance company without first consulting with an attorney. An attorney can protect your legal rights and make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. They will also help navigate the legal process, so you understand all stages of your case.

In order to file a claim for an ACL injury caused by a slip and fall accident, you must prove another party was negligent and responsible for your injury. An attorney can determine if you have a case against a negligent party of the property where your accident occurred. To prove liability, you will need to show that the property owner failed to keep their premises safe and free of any hazards. It is the responsibility of the property owner to make sure that their property is properly maintained and inspected regularly. If they fail to ensure that their property is safe, they can be held liable for your injuries from the slip and fall accident. Parties that can be held liable include the:

  • Insurance company of the property where the accident occurred.
  • Property owner of the property if the property was not insured or if the insurance is not able to cover the full amount of your damages.

In addition to proving liability, you will need to prove that your ACL injury was a direct result of the slip and fall accident. An attorney will help prove your case by gathering necessary evidence such as medical records, witness testimony, and other information that can support your claim. They can also represent you if the case goes to court.

Since recovery from an ACL injury can take time and often requires surgery, then a period of rest followed by physical therapy to regain function and fully recover, you may not be able to return to work and resume your regular activities for some time. An experienced slip and fall accident attorney can determine what your claim is worth and help you recover compensation for the following damages:

  • Medical bills
  • Pain and suffering
  • Physical therapy and rehabilitation
  • Lost wages and income earnings
  • Out-of-pocket expenses

Contact Our Office Today

To find out whether you can pursue a claim for your ACL injury due to a slip and fall accident, contact Hupy & Abraham today to discuss your legal options. We are available 24/7/365, and if you can’t come to our office, we can come to you. To set up a confidential appointment in any of our 11 Midwest law offices located throughout Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois, you can fill out our convenient contact form online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.


Jason F. Abraham
Connect with me
Helping car accident and personal injury victims throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa since 1993.