When you hire a car accident lawyer to represent you, you are putting a lot of trust in that person. You are expecting that your attorney will be ethical, honest, and trustworthy while he or she advocates for your fair and just recovery. If you have not previously hired this car accident lawyer and if you don’t have a personal relationship with the attorney then you may wonder whether you are hiring the right person for the job.
Five Ways to Really Learn About Your Lawyer
Many of your questions about your attorney can be answered by...
- Getting personal recommendations. Ask your friends, relatives, and colleagues for recommendations. Car accidents are common occurrences and the people you know may have suggestions about attorneys they have used for similar matters.
- Setting up an initial meeting. Go in talk face-to-face with an attorney. Most lawyers provide free consultations so you have nothing to lose by going in and getting to know the lawyer personally. Make sure to ask questions of your potential lawyer so that you can get all of the information you are seeking.
- Seeing if there are any bar complaints against the individual. Contact your local bar association and see if any grievances or complaints have been filed against the lawyer and, if so, what the issue was and how it was resolved.
- Doing an Internet search. Lots of information about anyone—including a lawyer—may result from a simple search online.
- Looking at review sites. You can read the testimonials on the lawyer’s website and go to independent review sites, such as AVVO.com, to learn more about an attorney.
It is recommended that you take more than one of the actions above and that the actions always include a free initial consultation. Then, you can make an informed decision that could help you get the fair and just recovery that you deserve after being injured in a car accident.