If you or a loved one were injured in a semi or 18-wheeler collision in Central Wisconsin, you might have questions about what to do. Hiring an experienced truck accident lawyer in Wausau can help you navigate the complex legal process and help you secure the full amount of compensation you deserve.
After all, truck accidents can be catastrophic and cause devasting injuries that can leave you unable to work or provide for your family. With medical bills piling up, this can cause unexpected financial hardship.
Below, our Wausau truck crash attorney explains the importance of hiring an experienced professional to help you and your family recover financially.
Is a Truck Accident Lawyer Different Than a Car Accident Lawyer?
Truck accidents are very different from car accidents since multiple parties can be held responsible. This can make for a challenging and confusing case. Having a skilled truck accident attorney on your side is essential. While there are attorneys who can handle both car and truck accident cases, a truck crash attorney is more specialized in handling the challenging aspects of this type of case. Our Wausau truck accident lawyer understands the complexities of a semi and 18-wheeler crashes and collisions and the laws surrounding the trucking industry and can prove liability, so you get the fair recovery you deserve.
Proving fault is not as complex in a car accident. There is typically one party held liable. In a truck accident, responsibility is not only placed on the driver but can also be placed on the following parties:
- Trucking company
- Manufacturer of the truck
- Party responsible for loading cargo onto the truck
- Party responsible for truck maintenance and service
Another difference between car and truck accidents is the severity of the accident. Due to the immense size and weight of the truck and the type of cargo being hauled, injuries resulting from a truck accident are often more severe than those in a car accident, and many injuries may be life-threatening. A truck accident lawyer will understand that injuries from a truck accident may be greater than a car accident and demand a more significant settlement to cover the damages that resulted.
When to Consult a Truck Accident Lawyer in Wausau
If you were involved in a truck accident, you will want to contact a lawyer as soon as possible to ensure that your legal rights stay protected and that you avoid making costly mistakes that could affect your potential compensation. The sooner you consult with a truck accident lawyer in Wausau—the sooner valuable evidence can be gathered and preserved. This evidence will be used to support your claim and prove liability.
Statute of Limitations for Truck Collision Cases
Since there is a statute of limitations in Wisconsin for filing a claim, you will want to ensure you don’t miss this deadline or wait until it is too late to start the process. A lawyer can ensure you meet all required deadlines and file your claim correctly. In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations for filing a truck accident claim is three years from the date of your truck accident injury. There are several exceptions to this rule, such as being mentally incompetent at the time of the accident, being a minor under the age of 18 at the time of the crash, and not having a claim filed on your behalf.
If you do not file a claim within the statute of limitations, your case will most likely be dismissed. Once your claim is denied by the court, you will not be able to recover any damages for injury or loss.
5 Reasons to Hire a Wausau Truck Accident Attorney
There are many benefits of hiring a Wausau truck accident attorney. An experienced collision attorney can protect your legal rights and possible recovery and help you understand the legal process for filing a claim.
The following five reasons explain why you should hire a Wausau truck accident lawyer to represent your case:
- An attorney will handle all legal parts of your case so you can avoid making mistakes. This can reduce stress in your life so you can focus on healing from your injuries instead of on the case.
- Gathering evidence is an integral part of a truck accident case. A lawyer will collect the necessary evidence that can prove fault. This can include witness testimony, medical and police reports, photos of the accident scene, and more.
- You may feel pressure from the insurance company that wants to settle your claim as quickly as possible and for less than your case is worth. A lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies, so you do not have to settle on your own.
- Since truck accident cases can consist of multiple defendants, hiring a lawyer will ensure you get the full amount of compensation you deserve from each party found liable. To determine a fair settlement, a lawyer will determine a value for the damages you suffered from the accident and your injuries.
- An experienced truck crash and collision lawyer can represent you in court if the insurance company does not agree to a settlement and the case goes to trial.
How to Choose the Right Truck Crash Lawyer
Finding the right lawyer to represent your truck collision case can be challenging. You may not know where to start in your search. You can begin your search by asking for referrals of lawyers that friends or family may have used for their own cases or consider a lawyer you may personally know.
Another great way to find a lawyer is to search online. You will want to look for a lawyer with experience handling truck accident cases and the resources to take your case to court if it does not settle with the insurance company. Consider the following factors to help narrow down your choices:
- Case results can give insight into what types of truck accident settlements other clients have been awarded and how many cases a specific lawyer or firm has won.
- Testimonials show the satisfaction past clients have with the firm and the lawyers.
- Awards and accolades provide information on how the lawyer or law firm rates in the local community and what types of recognition they have received. Hupy and Abraham have been voted best and rated best by their clients and community.
Once you narrow your choices for a truck accident lawyer in Wausau, you will want to schedule a free consultation to meet each potential lawyer. During this meeting, be sure to ask questions. The answers to your questions and your gut feeling should help you find the right Wausau truck crash attorney to handle your case.
Important Questions to Ask Potential Attorneys
At your initial meeting, there are several questions to ask potential attorneys. The lawyer’s answers can help make your final decision on whether they are the right one for your specific case.
Some questions to ask at your initial meeting include:
- What is your experience in handling cases similar to mine?
- What do you think my case is worth?
- What challenges do you see with my case?
- Would you be handling my case or someone else?
- What percentage of truck accident cases do you take to court?
- What is the track record for winning cases like mine?
- What payment arrangement do you offer? Do you work on a contingency fee?
- Who would I contact with questions or need updates during the duration of my claim?
- How fast will you get back to me if I have questions?
- What amount of time do I have to file a lawsuit in Wausau?
- What type of evidence would be needed for my case?
- Are you able to represent me if my case goes to trial?
Contact Our Wausau Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consult
Were you injured in a truck accident in Central Wisconsin? Don’t wait another day; contact our Wausau truck accident lawyer at Hupy and Abraham for a free, no-obligation consultation. We offer a Win or It’s Free Guarantee so we expect no payment unless we win your case. To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call us at 1-800-800-5678.